No vaping in smoking section

Over Christmas I went to visit a friend in jhb and she took me out for breakfast.

We took the smoking section at Spur, no issues. Even the waiter told my friend that she needs to switch to vaping. How cool is that? I've been trying to get her off the stinkies but she's quite stubborn, and recently asked me for juice recipes. I'm thinking she might give it a try if I send her an MTL tank and mod.

Last time i was at spur they were cool about it too.I stood under the extractor and blew up into it
@least that was on the N2.
Here in the Cape,they full of it .even closed the smoking section and I had to go stand in the wind to vape
Sent from my X30 using Tapatalk

I don't even look for a smoking section anymore, I vape wherever I want too in plain site of everyone.

When I exhale there is nothing ... screw these places and their stupid smoking rooms.

LPT. Don't ever make the mistake of asking if you can vape.

Is it because our clouds are "bigger" than theirs? I am currently running the Ammit 25. It is not possible (for me at least) to hold in that much vapor.

I've been back on the vape for just over a month now, and already can't stand the cigarette smell. Started sneezing the other day at work actually.

Another thought, maybe the vapor clouds point out to the patrons that the smoking section's extractor fans aren't doing its job... creating a "Witbank-like" effect?

Think it is the amount of "smoke" and unusual smell of it. Got crap once or twice way back when I was still smoking a pipe as well. Remember that as smokers we did not notice how much we stank as we could not smell it and therefore were under the impression we did not smell at all. Therefore their thinking is that we are the only ones overwhelming the place with a different smell.

Boils down to ignorance on their part. Can not point fingers though, I used to be one of them. Also some vapers act inconsiderate as well by purposely clouding up the place.

In any case, I object to using a smoking room. I can not stand the smell and do not want to expose myself to the health risks either. A stealthy MTL setup is the answer to vaping in public places. Serves my needs and does not impact on my surrounds.

Regards

So last night we were out to at 2 seperate places.

Both places, manager comes to us stating they don't allow vaping in their smoking section.

I was livid. Their smoking sections were so bad I can still smell the stinkies on me this morning.

Is this becoming a thing now?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk
Heh, happened to me literally a couple hours ago at News Cafe. I go to sit down and watch the game (obviously I chose a spot that wasnt too busy as to avoid offending anyone). I pull out my setup, have a toot and here comes the manager saying I have to be on the cancer section if I want to avoid getting cancer. Ironic, ain't it?

Well I must admit, it was one of my friends that got the flack each time. Probably did vape a bit "cloudy".

But still. Don't then say you can't vape in a smoking section. Rather say, keep down the cloud level.

first place I could understand. Place was packed. Ventilation was crap/ 2nd place where we were was quiet. We sat in the smoking section outside the bar area. There was no one else. So must really be the hatred towards vaping.
Joys of having few friends that still smoke.
Don't really want to name and shame the places. But I certainly won't be spending my hard earned cash there again.

I think people are misdirecting their anger onto the restaurants and while some of them may well be overreacting, the real blame lies with the clouds-bro dumbasses. Think about this from a restaurant's perspective for a second:

You have a smoking section, with extraction and the works. In comes Johnny and his buddies with their full-clouds-cumulonimbus-aint-got-nothing-on-us setups and start chucking the entire smoking area so full of vape clouds that you wish you had foglights. I've seen this happen. That is complete **** behaviour by these vapers and yes, of course a restaurant is going to have a problem with that. Hell, I'm a vaper and I have a problem with that.

Therefore you'll see many of them make a no-vaping rule. It's not because of those of us who vape in a considerate way, it's because of the above-mentioned numbnuts. But how do you differentiate between those when you make a rule? Therefore we're unfortunately targeted by the very blanket rule that stops them from doing their stupid shennanigans.

Relax with the hate on restaurants. They have to cater for everyone, and I'm 99.9% sure that 99.9% of them have absolutely no problem with us doing the subtle vapes, but as in so many cases, the cloud-chuckers had to go and ruin it for everybody. Same issue with the malls.

PS: If you are one of the above-mentioned people who chuck as many and as thick clouds as they can inside a restaurant/mall/whatever, then, yknow. Stop that shit.

Last edited:
I think people are misdirecting their anger onto the restaurants and while some of them may well be overreacting, the real blame lies with the clouds-bro dumbasses. Think about this from a restaurant's perspective for a second:

You have a smoking section, with extraction and the works. In comes Johnny and his buddies with their full-clouds-cumulonimbus-aint-got-nothing-on-us setups and start chucking the entire smoking area so full of vape clouds that you wish you had foglights. I've seen this happen. That is complete **** behaviour by these vapers and yes, of course a restaurant is going to have a problem with that. Hell, I'm a vaper and I have a problem with that.

Therefore you'll see many of them make a no-vaping rule. It's not because of those of us who vape in a considerate way, it's because of the above-mentioned numbnuts. But how do you differentiate between those when you make a rule? Therefore we're unfortunately targeted by the very blanket rule that stops them from doing their stupid shit.

Relax with the hate on restaurants. They have to cater for everyone, and I'm 99.9% sure that 99.9% of them have absolutely no problem with us doing the subtle vapes, but as in so many cases, the cloud-chuckers had to go and ruin it for everybody. Same issue with the malls.

PS: If you are one of the above-mentioned people who chuck as many and as thick clouds as they can inside a restaurant/mall/whatever, then, yknow. Stop that shit.
Although I concur with some of what you are saying, I also think that it is up to the restaurant to chuck the cloud checkers, smokers or vapers if required based on the look and feel of the place.

I have been in smoking rooms where the smokers hotbox it and nothing is said or done, but you pull a good cloud and you must leave. I have said it before, I do not go where I am not welcome, and I vote with my feet and my money. All that I want is fair treatment from any institution, I am compromising already by having to use the cancer stick area, otherwise go stuff yourself, I’ll move on and my money will go with me. Might not bother you now, but once more people make the same choice, you will feel it.

I don't use public smoking or vaping areas. I can't sit in a smoking area anymore and I find the air in vape shops to be offensive too. So I'm happy to vape up a storm at home but to be a non-emitter (as Kyoto as that sounds) in public. Reducing health harms was the major reason why I quit smoking. But a big part as well was to break the grip that nicotine had on my life, my mindset, my mood, my routine and my wallet. Autonomy over my life is a big deal to me, I don't want a drug to control my routine any more than I want another person to control me.

If I eat out at a restaurant, it will probably be four hours tops that I am away from vaping. I can cope with that, due to systematically reducing my nic intake and dependence over time. It's convenient for me because I don't have to agonise over taking enough juice/batteries/gear every time I leave home, I don't need to seek out areas to vape when I'm in public, I don't need to put up with non-smokers giving me dirty looks, nor with smokers asking "wtf is that thing?", nor with vapers asking "hey bro, what you vaping, can I try some of your juice?" Best of all, when I get home hours later, my juices taste fantastic again because I've given my taste buds a good break and reset my palate. So it's a win all round in my view.

The goal of the WHO has been to make nicotine use less visible publicly, to turn nicotine dependence into a private and personal habit. Use nicotine if you like but do it discreetly in your own space. That will outrage some but I'm quite happy to comply with it. It's not a habit that I want to broadcast to the public, and I don't want anybody to be lured into using nicotine because they saw me doing it.

On the one hand, there is the autonomy issue of being told what you may or may not do, which rankles. But that is more than compensated by regaining the freedom to no longer need the drug to the point where I will antagonise others in order to have constant access to it.

I once experienced something similar at one of my favorite restaurants. I was allowed to vape but the manager came to me and started asking questions about the vaping and was complaining about a woman who visited the restaurant a few nights prior. He reckoned she was blowing massive clouds and the smell puts some people off - apparently spoils their appetite.

Needless to say I got the message and kept it low key for the rest of the night.

When I vape in restaurants I try and be discreet about it. Hold it in so the clouds are smaller and blow down to my feet.

Unfortunately there is still a stigma against us, although it is getting better and I see more people vaping everyday.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

I think were outcasts because we smell nicer now

Sent from my X30 using Tapatalk

Just on this issue

If we vape in public places and blow big clouds, of course we are going to attract attention
And then cry to each other when malls and restaurants take away our "right to vape"

Come on fellow vapers, when vaping in public places in close quarters to others that are not vaping or smoking - and especially in restaurants where people are eating - rather vape in stealth mode.

How hard is it to get a nice MTL vape, load it with higher nic juice and just hold the vapour in?
--->no vapour at all!

Not easy to do that with a bigger cloud atty but so easy to do with a milder low power vape.

We need to realise that if we are more responsible and considerate like this , it can only paint vaping in a more positive light

Just on this issue

If we vape in public places and blow big clouds, of course we are going to attract attention
And then cry to each other when malls and restaurants take away our "right to vape"

Come on fellow vapers, when vaping in public places in close quarters to others that are not vaping or smoking - and especially in restaurants where people are eating - rather vape in stealth mode.

How hard is it to get a nice MTL vape, load it with higher nic juice and just hold the vapour in?
--->no vapour at all!

Not easy to do that with a bigger cloud atty but so easy to do with a milder low power vape.

We need to realise that if we are more responsible and considerate like this , it can only paint vaping in a more positive light
I have just piffed a AIO Eco to my painter to assist with stopping. He is progressing well, only had 2 smokes so far, 2 weeks down.

While setting it up it actually started to grow on me as a stealth device when going out,very light on juice and not bad battery life! Also no big clouds, so less attention. I love my vaping gear and maybe this will join as well, you can still carry a chukker around, but use this in confined spaces, and the other if there is more space, obviously with all present consent.

As with everything in life I think we start focusing on oneself and what I can do or is allowed to do, instead of what image am I projecting and what will the impact of my actions be. I want to stay out of designated smoking areas, they stink, so little puff, hold in, no vape exhale is starting to look good to me as an option.

On our podcast, Thembinkosi from VPASA was talking about developing a vapour-less vape. I'm not even sure that's necessary considering that they are also developing nicotine inhalers which, I would assume, have invisible emissions with no discernible aroma. So it would be like seeing someone using an asthma pump in public, I don't think it will raise many objections. It would probably also be a good solution for the workplace.

Guys, I can easily stealth vape any of my lower powered gear (Evod, Subtank Mini, Skyline, even the Billet Box at a push)

Take an inhale. Hold for a bit. Then inhale a bit of normal air. Then wait a few seconds. And nothing - no vapour - not a trace. Takes a tiny bit of practice - but it's so easy.

So when I am in a restaurant or a mall, I just do that. People might see me taking a toot on a device but nothing comes out - so to them its the same as me holding any other gadget near my face (eg my phone). And it doesn't inconvenience them. Have never been asked to stop that. Ever.

I don't understand why some vapers don't understand this.

It's as if some vapers feel it's their right to show the clouds they can blow in front of other non-smoker non-vapers. Crazy.

We have VapeCon for that!

I have just piffed a AIO Eco to my painter to assist with stopping. He is progressing well, only had 2 smokes so far, 2 weeks down.

While setting it up it actually started to grow on me as a stealth device when going out,very light on juice and not bad battery life! Also no big clouds, so less attention. I love my vaping gear and maybe this will join as well, you can still carry a chukker around, but use this in confined spaces, and the other if there is more space, obviously with all present consent.

As with everything in life I think we start focusing on oneself and what I can do or is allowed to do, instead of what image am I projecting and what will the impact of my actions be. I want to stay out of designated smoking areas, they stink, so little puff, hold in, no vape exhale is starting to look good to me as an option.
Love my Ecos for stealth vaping @Room Fogger.

As an experiment just filled one with a favourite DIY tobacco juice at 45PG/55VG and at 36 mg free base nic!! Wow, throat hit is just perfect. Just 2 puffs and I am good to go for at least 30 minutes. Silver inducing for all day vaping, but might be perfect for stealth vaping with wine and food in a restaurant and in other restricted spaces.

Waiting for my Vladdin refillable pod system from Vape King. Seems like one of the best around. No leaking with the one way membrane covering the air hole.

On our podcast, Thembinkosi from VPASA was talking about developing a vapour-less vape. I'm not even sure that's necessary considering that they are also developing nicotine inhalers which, I would assume, have invisible emissions with no discernible aroma. So it would be like seeing someone using an asthma pump in public, I don't think it will raise many objections. It would probably also be a good solution for the workplace.

That would unfortunately only be a solution for the vapers who started vaping to stop smoking. I believe there are lots of us who started vaping as a fun hobby. Some of my juice has nicotine as I like the bit of throat hit but some don't. I don't vape because of a nicotine addiction I vape because I enjoy it.

If you're only vaping as a hobby and aren't dependent on nicotine, why the need to take a vape along to a restaurant? If you can't do without it for a few hours, it's become more than a hobby imo.

Guys, I can easily stealth vape any of my lower powered gear (Evod, Subtank Mini, Skyline, even the Billet Box at a push)

Take an inhale. Hold for a bit. Then inhale a bit of normal air. Then wait a few seconds. And nothing - no vapour - not a trace. Takes a tiny bit of practice - but it's so easy.

So when I am in a restaurant or a mall, I just do that. People might see me taking a toot on a device but nothing comes out - so to them its the same as me holding any other gadget near my face (eg my phone). And it doesn't inconvenience them. Have never been asked to stop that. Ever.

I don't understand why some vapers don't understand this.

It's as if some vapers feel it's their right to show the clouds they can blow in front of other non-smoker non-vapers. Crazy.

We have VapeCon for that!

I couldn't agree with you more @Silver, this is just common sense.

If you're only vaping as a hobby and aren't dependent on nicotine, why the need to take a vape along to a restaurant? If you can't do without it for a few hours, it's become more than a hobby imo.
True. We had an ongoing dialogue a while ago and in the end I needed to concede that the bottom line is that the reason I vape is to serve an addiction to nicotine. It is not easy to admit, in fact it is a hard thing to do but in the interest of being honest, mostly to myself, I need to accept this fact.

I have mixed some juices at 0%, to try convince myself otherwise, but all I did was confirm the facts i wanted to deny. For this reason I also feel uneasy hearing of never smoker vapers that use nic in their juices. Best we don't fool ourselves on the facts, irrespective if we like them or not.

Regards

True. We had an ongoing dialogue a while ago and in the end I needed to concede that the bottom line is that the reason I vape is to serve an addiction to nicotine. It is not easy to admit, in fact it is a hard thing to do but in the interest of being honest, mostly to myself, I need to accept this fact.

I have mixed some juices at 0%, to try convince myself otherwise, but all I did was confirm the facts i wanted to deny. For this reason I also feel uneasy hearing of never smoker vapers that use nic in their juices. Best we don't fool ourselves on the facts, irrespective if we like them or not.

Regards
I did smoke and stopped around 13 years ago. I was a 40-a-day Camel Filter smoker.

I don't take my vape along to a restaurant. I was merely pointing out that I would neither use nor want a nicotine inhaler that has no taste. I enjoy the taste and sensation of vaping and vaping at a social gathering is not a necessity but very enjoyable.if I am permitted to.

So last night we were out to at 2 seperate places.

Both places, manager comes to us stating they don't allow vaping in their smoking section.

I was livid. Their smoking sections were so bad I can still smell the stinkies on me this morning.

Is this becoming a thing now?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

Name and shame the establishments!

A friend of mine holds the saying "if you cant smoke there dont vape there"

That being said its been proven that second hand vapor has no garmful effects and living in durban the vapor is about the same as a hot and humid days normal air.

Basically i walk around shopping centers vaping and occasionally taking a hit when eating out but never blow in peoples faces, either directly up or down.

On one occasion i exhaled and some dude ran up to breathe it in.

But ive never had any troubles only at a bar where nothing was allowed inside but you vape directly next to the window so everything blows in anyway.

Back