Man, this thread brings back memories.
@TheV , maybe we should do that podcast after all.

Tried alien coils, but because of the post design it was not fitting, so used fused Clapton. Lowered the coil, wicked it a little tighter this time.
IMG_20180419_205703.jpg
IMG_20180419_205724.jpg

Last edited:
Spit back - reduced by 90%
Flavour - reduced by 90 % too !!:mad:
Thin out them tails, you can get away with a tighter wick in the coil, but if the tails are too thick there goes your flavour. Also, the wicking must not be so tight that you cannot still move the cotton without deforming the coil. The OBS is a very forgiving RTA when it comes to wicking. Good luck, hope you find your sweet spot. Many happy clouds to you

Man, this thread brings back memories.
@TheV , maybe we should do that podcast after all.
Less memories ... and more nightmares for me :p
If we do go the podcast route I'd first have to get one of these tanks and figure out how to wick it so that it does that wonderful gurgle-dryhit combo. Should get it right on the first attempt :eek:

Thin out them tails, you can get away with a tighter wick in the coil, but if the tails are too thick there goes your flavour. Also, the wicking must not be so tight that you cannot still move the cotton without deforming the coil. The OBS is a very forgiving RTA when it comes to wicking. Good luck, hope you find your sweet spot. Many happy clouds to you
I did that rabbit ear wicking for it. Was not able to move the wick without holding it with a pair of ceramic tweezers. The tank will be empty after a few puffs. Will re-wick it. Spit back has started again. Will try to lower the coil even more.

If we do go the podcast route I'd first have to get one of these tanks and figure out how to wick it so that it does that wonderful gurgle-dryhit combo. Should get it right on the first attempt :eek:

I seriously can not figure out how you managed this. I can however relate to not getting the results others speak about. My Serpent Mini leaked like a colander and dry hit like a sandstorm all on the same build. Kind of the same thing you got from the OBS. My OBS seems to forgive all my errors however.

I did that rabbit ear wicking for it. Was not able to move the wick without holding it with a pair of ceramic tweezers. The tank will be empty after a few puffs. Will re-wick it. Spit back has started again. Will try to lower the coil even more.

On the Nano I align the top of my coils with the top of the posts, seems to give the best flavor this way. Spit-back is the result of over saturation or to much juice on the coil. Same principle as dripping water on very hot oil applies where super heated vapor bursts through a covering layer of cool juice. Tends to be more prevalent when using low gauge Clapton type wires (26AWG covered by 32AWG) where significant amounts of juice gets trapped in the spaces between wingdings and burst to freedom under pressure.

You can try a slower ramp-up or high gauge Clapton's in the region of a 26 or 28AWG covered by something like a 38AWG or 40AWG where less juice gets trapped. Also, you may want to restrict wicking speed by not thinning out wick ends on a 3mm ID coil with tight but comfortable fitting wick. Those wicking ports are rather large and filling them up with wick (but not plugging them but leaving a small space for air bubbles to get through) will also help reduce over saturation.
Slower ramp up will also provide more even heating of juice resulting in even evaporation with no vapor being trapped under a layer of cold juice. Let me not even start on wicking material. For me cheap and nasty works best. Plain cheap as chips untreated organic cotton from a ziplock baggy has never let me down. Despite having packs of "miracle" wick of all sorts and price floating around I have yet to find one that outshines the simple stuff.

But, when all is said and done, in vaping there is no one size fits all and each of us has his own likes and preferences. Trick is to experiment and find what works for you and the gear you are using.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards

Well yknow, I felt like living dangerously tonight. So I put on my Batman suit and everything, and built on my OBS Engine Nano for the first time in literally a year. No dry hits, no flooding, plenty of flavour. Crackling like a pan full of bacon, but suspect it's because my coil is sitting too low on the deck. Anyway, that's probably literally my first success story on the Nano. Just in time for a big juice vapemail coming in tomorrow, too.

In case this helps the few who are also struggling, this is what I did this time round:

- Plain roundwire Ni80 coils, 26ga. 5 wraps, spaced coil (I suspect this part may be important).
- 3mm diameter, combed the cotton only a liiiittle bit, not too much.
- Cut the cotton to a length where it goes into the juice holes about.. hmm, halfway I'd guess.
- Resistance is about 0.54, and I'm hitting it at around 27W for the most part.

Not sure if that helps any of you at all, but if you read back a few months you'll see multiple essays of me trying to troubleshoot my issues. My wicking is pretty similar to the OP's, I'm just using a different coil. The key though is that I'm using better cotton this time around. I had a janky A.F. batch of CBv2 last year.

PS: My first post again here in months (sorry guys, work had me floored to hell for quite a bit and I was pretty scarce around here - feels good to be back though!)

PSS: The grub screws on the Nano really are made of margarine, aren't they? Stripped the second one by now.

I seriously can not figure out how you managed this. I can however relate to not getting the results others speak about. My Serpent Mini leaked like a colander and dry hit like a sandstorm all on the same build. Kind of the same thing you got from the OBS. My OBS seems to forgive all my errors however.

On the Nano I align the top of my coils with the top of the posts, seems to give the best flavor this way. Spit-back is the result of over saturation or to much juice on the coil. Same principle as dripping water on very hot oil applies where super heated vapor bursts through a covering layer of cool juice. Tends to be more prevalent when using low gauge Clapton type wires (26AWG covered by 32AWG) where significant amounts of juice gets trapped in the spaces between wingdings and burst to freedom under pressure.

You can try a slower ramp-up or high gauge Clapton's in the region of a 26 or 28AWG covered by something like a 38AWG or 40AWG where less juice gets trapped. Also, you may want to restrict wicking speed by not thinning out wick ends on a 3mm ID coil with tight but comfortable fitting wick. Those wicking ports are rather large and filling them up with wick (but not plugging them but leaving a small space for air bubbles to get through) will also help reduce over saturation.
Slower ramp up will also provide more even heating of juice resulting in even evaporation with no vapor being trapped under a layer of cold juice. Let me not even start on wicking material. For me cheap and nasty works best. Plain cheap as chips untreated organic cotton from a ziplock baggy has never let me down. Despite having packs of "miracle" wick of all sorts and price floating around I have yet to find one that outshines the simple stuff.

But, when all is said and done, in vaping there is no one size fits all and each of us has his own likes and preferences. Trick is to experiment and find what works for you and the gear you are using.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards
Here is a nice pic of what I described above, not mine but same as my builds on the OBS.

https://www.ecigssa.co.za/obs-engine-nano-review.t35356/page-3#post-523704

Regards

I've had my engine dual in my daily rotation for almost a year now and I had a lot of the same problems at first. What I do now is to use slightly smaller ID coils, at most a 2.5mm, built level with the post holes. Also, the one thing that helped me most (not saying it works for everyone, but it worked for me) was to let the tails go down slightly into the juice well after only a gentle fluffing, not thinning them out by much at all. This reduced the spitback without reducing flavor. The current build is 2.5mm ID ni80 claptons sitting at around 0.22. I vape it on a wattage curve starting at 67.5w for the first second going down by 2.5w every second.

Don't judge me, I know it needs a re-wick, this is after about 2.5 weeks and 100ml of juice. It's first in line for tonight's pit-stop.

20180420_082431.jpg

Tried the above, for some reason the spit-back is back. Even without the chimney, the juice is popping.
IMG_20180420_150417_BURST10.jpg

Tried the above, for some reason the spit-back is back. Even without the chimney, the juice is popping.
View attachment 129791
I have never had it spit like that ever. And I've done some stupid k*k with mine. It has by far been the most forgiving tank I have.

As above, what resistance and wattage are you running? Maybe there is another under-lying issue we are missing?

were you in cape town come make a turn by me will give you better wire to make coils
looks like that demen killer wire they make the spit back

were you in cape town come make a turn by me will give you better wire to make coils
looks like that demen killer wire they make the spit back
Lol, yes it was a demon killer wire. Threw away that coil. Running a Clapton now, 0.5 resistance at 85 watts. Took ur advise and lowered the coil.
Can hear it popping inside the tank, but not like the previous coil. It's not spitting the juices out anymore. I guess problem solved !!!

Lol, yes it was a demon killer wire. Threw away that coil. Running a Clapton now, 0.5 resistance at 85 watts. Took ur advise and lowered the coil.
Can hear it popping inside the tank, but not like the previous coil. It's not spitting the juices out anymore. I guess problem solved !!!
thin your wick out more fore the popping to go away.

I live for the pop. If it ain't poppin' it ain't no good. Also keeps the marauders away from my vape :)

Back