OBS Engine ..... Old school

Stranger

Vaping Addict
LV

Awards
As a few of you know, I missed out on a lot of fun by stubbornly sticking to my old school MTL and ultra high freebase nic for so long that all the joys of building and mechs and tank development passed me by. What can I say, it is hard being a dummy.

My mate and mentor @DarthBranMuffin let a stainless OBS engine go my way. I nearly bought one a year ago from @adriaanh but passed it up at the last minute, but the shiny one made me go oooohhhh.

As always, I thought this was a new one when it arrived , literally mint condition, but hey, dual coil, top fill, slide cap filler ...... what could go wrong right.

Being a dummy I watched a review or three, no problem man. They banged on about getting the wicking just right, don't stuff the holes, don't drop the tails too far down, make sure the holes are dammed. What could go wrong , right.

On opening the box, everything is there, spare glass, o rings, tool and some shiny OMG twisted coils. I like twisted, my wife says I am twisted, so I can relate to twisted. I do my own twisting with a tiny pair of mole grips and a screwdriver, what can go wrong right.

So I proceed to load up the Velocity style deck, you would think it would be easy but no so much when you see how tight you have to have those coils to the posts and keep them inside the chimney. if you have worked with twisted before, you will know that the coils are like springs and they keep wanting to go back to original shape when you want to position them. No sweat I am pro by now, what could go wrong right. Positioned and onto the ohm meter. 0.14, ooh a bit low but hey a dual batt mod can handle this with ease.

Wicking was the least of my worries, a Scottish roll cut short and fluffed nicely and sitting just inside the juice holes. Cotton primed to get rid of any nasty taste and on goes the top. A little juice in the tank and it is time for the first draw. 30 W should do it, take it easy, what could go wrong right.

Phleeuur. OMG it felt like a Spacex rocket going off. Those coils lit up like an American middle class suburb at Xmas. I checked everything. I am using a Manto pro dual battery mod, ohms @0.14 W at 30, hit it again, .. phleeuurr same result. This is so hot, spitting and sizzling worse than a bad flame grilled steak from Spur. The noise coming from the thing reminds me of the napalm scenes from Full metal jacket. OK dummy turn the W down, OK now it is cooler ... but but but the flavour has gone. So what went wrong, let me tell you what went wrong. When I opened the box and saw the coils, I did not ask myself, why are they there, why did my so called mate and mentor leave them in the box. I know why, because he knew what I did not know and now do know, that's why.

Well, they literally saw the bin. Going through my mental stock take I know I have some Ni80 single core clapton wire. I know 8 wraps or so will give me around .6 so a dual will give me around .3.

So I proceed with part two of the plan, what can go wrong right? Nothing, I lie to you not. Nothing went wrong. I wrapped, installed, wicked, got a spot on .3, primed, put some juice in that tank and........ WINNER

I like old school tanks, airflow is great, it is quite quiet now and the airflow is smooth man smooth. Red pill tastes different in a dual coil, a little sweeter and a little warmer. 30 W is still the sweet spot so I can still get some time out of a dual battery set up.

Looks good, vapes great .... what could go wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_20211105_091700_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211105_091700_HDR.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
why did my so called mate and mentor leave them in the box

Sounds like a lot of fun... or maybe not...

To tell you the truth, I did not even run this tank on my side. I cleaned it, gave it new life and shine and decided my days of Dual Coil RTA's are over and I am not even going to bother. In regards to the coils in the box, what they are and who built them would be an answer only the person who packed the box on the OBS assembly line could maybe tell us (if it was on his/her paygrade to know).

So me trying to avoid the apology thread hope it was more of a learning curve and less of an inconvenience for you sir. What can we take away from this: Don't use the coils in the box?

shjmkkwdiviz.jpg

It's an awesome RTA especially with plain round wire and fruity flavours... The only thing I didn't like about it was funny noise (like a buzzing noise) that it was emitting when fired.

Say whaaaat

This one is not doing that, are you sure you have the transformer wire polarity correctly ?

Ah, you got me, you are talking about the engine noise............. clever.

@Grand Guru

I just tried something, the Engine has a short flat 510. It does not reach the connection on the MVV II. If it was just there on the mod that you tried that might explain the buzzing.

Or you might have the idle set too high.

@Grand Guru

I just tried something, the Engine has a short flat 510. It does not reach the connection on the MVV II. If it was just there on the mod that you tried that might explain the buzzing.

Or you might have the idle set too high.
I'm sure I was using it on regulated mods but I sold it long ago... I just kept in memory that funny buzzing noise from the coils and deck

Back