Ok. This actually happened

Nightwalker

Staying off cigs
LV

Awards
One of the most famous and safest mods on the market would take a complete moron to do the following.
I know it was USB charger. I told him not to. I warned about battery imbalance and battery wraps. He did not listen.
He can thank the many many safety features of the RX200S.
But I'm still in complete shock.
Have a look.
Side note: maybe vendors should treat all clients like children if that's what it takes. (Extreme) but maybe ecigsa could send flyers to vendors to put in bags on how not to be stupid.

20170526_183028.jpg 20170526_183018.jpg 20170526_183008.jpg

I don't know how can anyone think it is okay to use a battery that looks like that...
Let's get even more advanced, the individual is a qualified dangerous goods handler... And lithium ion is a huge subject in one of the first chapters... He knows this...

Well just goes to show you safety starts with you as the user not the equipment. This came up in a previous thread, where @Christos and myself were saying that you can't rely solely on the regulated mod to keep you safe.

Well just goes to show you safety starts with you as the user not the equipment. This came up in a previous thread, where @Christos and myself were saying that you can't rely solely on the regulated mod to keep you safe.
Believe me. I know.
Luckily when I started vaping, the big boys here in PE showed me the ropes. I listened to their advice and learnt from them and common sense and from the internet when reviewers were actually teaching and not selling.
The help is out there. There's no excuse

Some peeps takes battery safety serious, others just shrug it off. One day they may even stop treating their mods like penlite driven remotes that gets chucked all over the place.

Unfortunately a lot of people are like computers. You have to 'punch' information into them ....

From the pictures it looks like the person escaped with no physical harm or so I'm hoping.

School fees have been paid!

Let's get even more advanced, the individual is a qualified dangerous goods handler... And lithium ion is a huge subject in one of the first chapters... He knows this...

You mean unqualified

From the pictures it looks like the person escaped with no physical harm or so I'm hoping.

School fees have been paid!
He did. He came to me wanting to know why it wasn't firing. I pointed the stupidity to him.

OK, I don't want to be that guy but how would the torn wraps have caused this? By the exposed neg casing either at the bottom of the battery or midway up contacting the casing of the mod? I can't see how the torn wraps would lead to a pos-neg short if the batts are inserted in a mod? We can't see the wraps at the business (i.e. positive pin) end of the battery. But assuming those wraps are sound and the insulator ring is place, how does this create a short?

OK, I don't want to be that guy but how would the torn wraps have caused this? By the exposed neg casing either at the bottom of the battery or midway up contacting the casing of the mod? I can't see how the torn wraps would lead to a pos-neg short if the batts are inserted in a mod? We can't see the wraps at the business (i.e. positive pin) end of the battery. But assuming those wraps are sound and the insulator ring is place, how does this create a short?
What I'm gathering, is it over heated. And I only showed the bottoms. Tops are also screwed. Only took those pics

My unqualified guess, the torn wraps are just indicative of poor safety practice in general from this person, unbalanced charging and non-rotation of batteries (also since they are browns, maybe they are dodgy) lead to some kind of excessive drain on one and then the rest. Looks like slot two was the main culprit here as the burn is on top.

*edit This mod has also most likely been dropped pretty hard at some point notice the huge chip near the positive terminal in slot 1? Just a general cluster **** waiting to happen.

Last edited:
The responses on here get me even more worried.....No-one seems to understand.

It's an RX200s so the batts are in series... THAT MEANS THE CASINGS ARE NOT ALL AT THE SAME POTENTIAL. In a parallel mod, the torn sleeves won't matter as all the casings (Negative) will be at the same potential. In a series mod you will get 4.2V if you measure between the first and second battery casing, and 8.4V between the first and the third. So if the casings touch....BANG!!!

Maybe I'll draw a diagram later if you guys don't follow.

P.S. Sorry if I hurt anyones feelings...

Thanks for the explanation, @BubiSparks, but I'm still not getting it. The casings will only touch metal to metal if the insulating wrap is missing in the same spot on both batteries. Take that hole midway up the one wrapper as an example. Yes, the casing is bare. But the other battery has its wrap intact at the same point. So if the two batteries come into contact, there is a still a layer of insulation between the two casings.

Of course, we can't see the entirety of the wrapping on all three batteries in the pics. So it is possible that one of the other batteries has a tear/hole in the same spot and the two flaws lined up when the batteries were inserted side by side. But if this isn't the case, how would it create a short? As long as you have one layer of insulation between two conductive metal surfaces, you shouldn't need two?

@RichJB - Yes the damaged insulation would have to line up of course. And Yes that is not likely to happen often, but then, that's also why we don't see catastrophic failures more often. The photo's in the OP don't show any carbon on the batteries that match the carbon on the mod either...

A battery could also be touching the mod casing and cause a short. A lay person assumes that the casing of a battery is always negative and at the same potential as the body of a device so if the battery touches the housing it's OK. NOT SO!!!!

The battery shorting against the mod casing makes sense to me. Even if two batteries had holes in the wraps at the corresponding point, I'm still struggling to see how metal touches metal. If we magnify the contact point under a microscope, I imagine it would look something like this:

battwraps.JPG

Where black = metal battery casing and red = wrap. So even if you have a hole at the corresponding spot in both wraps, you still have the thickness of the wraps keeping the two metal surfaces apart. The gap might only be a few microns but it's nevertheless still a gap. Unless the potential difference is sufficient to induce a spark between the two surfaces? I can't see it at these voltages, though.

You could touch metal to metal by holding the two batteries at right-angles to each other and pressing them together. But side by side as they would be in a mod, I don't see how contact is possible unless you clamped them together in a vise or somesuch.

I'd really like to understand more about the actual physical/electrical processes involved in battery shorting and venting. I tend to follow a safety-first "if a wrap is torn or even nicked then re-wrap" approach. But I'm doing it because "it says so in the Bible", not because I can understand the actual science.

Last edited:
I agree with what you say regarding the likelyhood of batteries touching when the damage is somewhere in the middle. If insulation is missing at the base like in the photo, it's very possible that it could touch the mod housing with a jolt. If that battery is not the first in the series (i.e. at the same potential as the housing), it would cause a short quite easily.

My unqualified guess, the torn wraps are just indicative of poor safety practice in general from this person, unbalanced charging and non-rotation of batteries (also since they are browns, maybe they are dodgy) lead to some kind of excessive drain on one and then the rest. Looks like slot two was the main culprit here as the burn is on top.

*edit This mod has also most likely been dropped pretty hard at some point notice the huge chip near the positive terminal in slot 1? Just a general cluster **** waiting to happen.
Saw the drop marks too

The responses on here get me even more worried.....No-one seems to understand.

It's an RX200s so the batts are in series... THAT MEANS THE CASINGS ARE NOT ALL AT THE SAME POTENTIAL. In a parallel mod, the torn sleeves won't matter as all the casings (Negative) will be at the same potential. In a series mod you will get 4.2V if you measure between the first and second battery casing, and 8.4V between the first and the third. So if the casings touch....BANG!!!

Maybe I'll draw a diagram later if you guys don't follow.

P.S. Sorry if I hurt anyones feelings...
It's quite alright. We understand. Well I hope. Lol.

Back