One on One (OOO) - Concentrate Reviews

OOO Rice Milk

Test gear:
Hadaly clone, single Ni80 0.54Ω, Cotton Candy wick, 25-30W
Recoil clone, dual Ni80 0.40Ω, Cotton Bacon wick, 30-40W
Velocity clone, dual SS 0.3Ω, Japanese OC wick, 40-45W

Test percentages: 1, 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10%

Notes: rice has always occupied a niche in DIY, mainly through the horchata flavours offered by TFA, Cap and FW. Horchata, much like cream soda, means different things in different countries. In some places, it is made with sesame seeds, tigernuts, almond or barley. The one that pertains in this case is the Mexico/Guatemala variant, which blends rice milk with cinnamon and sometimes vanilla. While the major brands offer the finished drink as a standalone flavour, OOO have gone a different route in providing just the rice milk base free of spice. It's quite a risky approach because horchata without spices is like pancakes without maple syrup or cinnamon sugar. And then horchata is an acquired taste anyway. So how does it do?

OOO Rice Milk is certainly an interesting flavour and is probably unlike anything you've vaped before. The base is very slightly creamy and sweet, giving just the faintest touch of sugar lips. Disconnected from the base is a somewhat sour and quite abrasive top note which has a fermented character. The overall effect is of very thick and starchy mouth feel without any real flavour. Lower percentages are close to vaping straight VG, I would start this at around 4%. It scales all the way up to 10% without ado, probably peaking at 8%. Unless you have a very off-beat palate, you won't be vaping this standalone. But it was never intended that way. Which leads us to...

Application: crafting your own horchata is the obvious one. This just provides the starchy base and is thus a blank canvas. Add sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, nuts, coconut, rum, fruits - knock yourself out. On the website, OOO offer "would go great with some cinnamon and sugar". That seemed a safe starting point so I added a few drops of Sweetener and then some more drops of FA Cinnamon to my tester. I had been concerned that the sour top note would mar whatever flavourings you add but even a little cinnamon bullied the sourness out of the mix, resulting in a quite tasty and acceptable faux horchata.

Rice is now becoming a thing due to Wayne promoting the wonders of FE Sweet Rice in his Yeo Layer. It probably won't grow much beyond niche status but the emergence of rice puddings and other rice-based vapes offers a lot of scope for juices outside the mainstream.

Conclusion: OOO Rice Milk isn't a savoury vape but its bland starchy quality is also far removed from the sweetness that characterises most popular profiles. This is not going to be everyone's cup of tea. But if you're the type who likes to tinker with flavours like TFA Taro or Yam, this could be in your wheelhouse. I'm glad I picked this flavour to test and will be putting it in the "To Be Investigated Further" file.

Just a brief update on my reviews. After leaving my testers for another week untouched, I tried them again now. And hooray, that cardboard note has now finally dissipated. So some minor revisions to my reviews:

Vanilla Custard: this gets stronger, denser and eggier as it steeps. It's not a bad custard at all once fully steeped. It's not a Cap-killer but it is workable.

Milk Shake Vanilla: some of the powdered malt note dissipates along with the cardboard. It's a bit creamier and denser when fully steeped, although still a tad too dry for a milkshake.

Vanilla Cupcake: there is still a hint of that burnt/cardboard note but it's much less than it was. I'm guessing another week's steep will do the trick. It's still not a great flavour but is 20% better than it was.

I don't think the above-named are close to "best of breed" flavours but, with a long steep, they are workable. Bottom line: if you use an OOO flavouring with "Vanilla" in the title, give it at least three weeks. For the Cupcake, five weeks.

Last edited:
OOO Sugar Cone

Setup: Velocity, Dual Alien Claptons @ .22 ohms. 60w power. Full Cotton Wicks.

Testing: OOO Sugar Cone @ 3% 70/30 VG/PG, Steeped 34 days.

Initial SNV thoughts: Nuanced sweet, hints of undefinable goodness underneath.

Flavour Description: Sweet on the inhale but not your average sweetness. This is a sophisticated sweetness because it almost immediately melds with the cone. Imagine a Cornetto cone without the texture, or the coated chocolate that invariably makes up the inside nipple of the cone, and you’re about there. I’m not getting any crunch here, just a sweet, powdery almost, cone flavour that is very pleasing. A more refined, evocative flavour than the big cookies and biscuits out there.

Throat Hit: 4/10. Strongest of all OOO I tried.

Uses: Too etherial for a single flavour, but this will have many uses. The first that comes to mind is as a pairing with biscuit/cookie for a cannoli. Or try it as a stand alone for the wafer element. If you’ve ever had a good cannoli, the wafer should be remarkably thin and add a textured crack to the cream rush. You’re not going to get the crack here, but you will get a lot of the right flavour. Delicate, refined, moreish. Maybe not as good in cases where you need a strong biscuit base, but I’m sure you could use it to add notes to anything where you are using biscuit/cookie etc. Anywhere between 2-5% will find the spot, depending on whether you’re going solo or as a welcome addition to other crusts. I’m sure it will be ready within 7 days but it’s good to know that it hasn’t diminished after a month.

Overall: Well worth going back to old trusted crust/wafer based recipes and experimenting with it both as a side-kick and as a replacement.

Disclaimer/Caveat: “inside nipple of the cone”, “textured crack to the cream rush” are deplorable descriptors and I would like to apologise unreservedly for the faux eroticism that slithered into the sheets of this review. But, as concentrates go, Sugar Cone is a damn alluring courtesan.

If you did not try Strawberry Jam OOO flavours, try it now, it is so yummy!

Back