Patina 14500 Mini and patina Grand doors

Andre

Reonaut
VIP
LV

Awards
The modmaster will release 24 of these patina 14500 Minis and some patina Grand doors. He applies 4 coats of lacquer. To be released some time next week.

I painted one of my aluminum doors today, managed to find some aluminum primer in an aerosol can.

I'll post a pic later on when I get back home. It came out really professionally I think.

I painted one of my aluminum doors today, managed to find some aluminum primer in an aerosol can.

I'll post a pic later on when I get back home. It came out really professionally I think.
Looking forward to that.

8ba632cefa6223c0aeb43a5f79cdc17c.jpg
b15225f5fbd9108affd977ee7255d19a.jpg

Here is my newly minted door

Sent from iPhone

Wow @Alex
That looks really good on the white Reo!
Stunning

Thanks @Silver and @Andre, I found a product called Spraymate, who have a new Etch Primer specifically designed for Aluminum that seems to perform well. And the colour I decided to go with is called "Mocha Satin". I'm doing a mosfet box build, but then I thought I may as well test the paint process on the reo door :p

Thanks @Silver and @Andre, I found a product called Spraymate, who have a new Etch Primer specifically designed for Aluminum that seems to perform well. And the colour I decided to go with is called "Mocha Satin". I'm doing a mosfet box build, but then I thought I may as well test the paint process on the reo door :p
Thanks Alex, and the paint is also from Spraymate? Is it a specific type of paint?

eaf8d5547b2eacabf821f0e726aaa4e9.jpg

@Andre, this primer is not on their website yet, but I spoke with the technical guy at the company, and he told me it's only been out for a few months. Their paint used was also a new product from the same company. Available from most hardware stores/Builders Warehouse etc. They advised me to use their paint on their primer for best results.
Sent from iPhone

Last edited:

And I know what drew you to the "mocha"
Lol

Thanks @Alex. They have a web site (www.spraymate.co.za), but your primer is not on there yet.

Wow, see it can also be used on stainless steel.
@Andre, this primer is not on their website yet, but I spoke with the technical guy at the company, and he told me it's only been out for a few months. Their paint used was also a new product from the same company. Available from most hardware stores/Builders Warehouse etc. They advised me to use their paint on their primer for best results.
Sent from iPhone

@Alex, youve added another project to my ever growing vape to do list :cool:

@Alex, youve added another project to my ever growing vape to do list :cool:

Indeed, it was really fun. With all the info I could find, the prep work is the of the utmost importance when it comes to painting aluminum. It has to be rough sanded firstly, to add surface area. And then cleaned with a lint free cloth (very important), using a good thinner, and not turps or petrol. Then priming with about three very light coats, and leaving it to work for as long as possible, preferably about 24 hours. This ensures that the acid in the primer can fully penetrate the oxide layer of the Aluminum.

Only then do you start applying the paint layers.

Indeed, it was really fun. With all the info I could find, the prep work is the of the utmost importance when it comes to painting aluminum. It has to be rough sanded firstly, to add surface area. And then cleaned with a lint free cloth (very important), using a good thinner, and not turps or petrol. Then priming with about three very light coats, and leaving it to work for as long as possible, preferably about 24 hours. This ensures that the acid in the primer can fully penetrate the oxide layer of the Aluminum.

Only then do you start applying the paint layers.

Thanks for that
I may have to consult you when the time comes
I have a spare aluminium door that i would like to give a special colour to
I just need to choose the colour

That Mocha Satin looks very good. But i wonder if it will look as good against a raw tumbled body. It looks very good in the photo against the white.

Thanks for that
I may have to consult you when the time comes
I have a spare aluminium door that i would like to give a special colour to
I just need to choose the colour

That Mocha Satin looks very good. But i wonder if it will look as good against a raw tumbled body. It looks very good in the photo against the white.

Sure thing @Silver, my photo's really don't do it justice. It looks so much better in reality.

Thanks @Andre
You legend!

Lol @Andre, this adds more complexity to the usual colour choice for the door :eek:

8ba632cefa6223c0aeb43a5f79cdc17c.jpg
b15225f5fbd9108affd977ee7255d19a.jpg

Here is my newly minted door

Sent from iPhone

That looks epic!!

Just thought i would share a funny story here :p

@Rob Fisher heard @Alex was busy building me and @Alex a DIY box mod and told me to stop stealing Reonauts from him lol :giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:, But as you can see its actualy helping him improve his reo so rob ows me a woodvil now lol (in my dreams)

Back