Pioneer rta with dropping resistance

Leven Naicker

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
Hi everyone, I'm currently rocking a pioneer rta and the resistance keeps dropping.
After installing a new coil the resistance reads 0.79 after being wicked and primed. After a few hours the resistance begins to drop to 0.73 then within an hour down to 0.69 and shortly to 0.65 where it remains. The vape is awful tastes as if there are hotspots which there are non, 510 is firmly in place, all insulators are perfect, posts not touching, screws tightened firm and the build isnt touching the chimney neither are the leads. I have tried various different mods to no avail. I have taken the tank apart completely cleaned everything and put it back starts off fine but ultimately ends up doing the same thing. I have also tried different coils but they all do the same thing.
Any one have any idea what's the cause for this ?
Maybe something simple I may be missing

Was before @Grand Guru's post going to say that builds do behave in that way starting higher and dropping until they settle but that wouldn't account for the bad taste so @Grand Guru is probably correct apart from i doubt the coil is actually touching the chimney as wouldn't that cause an atomizer short?

Hi everyone, I'm currently rocking a pioneer rta and the resistance keeps dropping.
After installing a new coil the resistance reads 0.79 after being wicked and primed. After a few hours the resistance begins to drop to 0.73 then within an hour down to 0.69 and shortly to 0.65 where it remains. The vape is awful tastes as if there are hotspots which there are non, 510 is firmly in place, all insulators are perfect, posts not touching, screws tightened firm and the build isnt touching the chimney neither are the leads. I have tried various different mods to no avail. I have taken the tank apart completely cleaned everything and put it back starts off fine but ultimately ends up doing the same thing. I have also tried different coils but they all do the same thing.
Any one have any idea what's the cause for this ?
Maybe something simple I may be missing
What wire/coil are you using?

Start at the bottom

Check that your 510 pin is tight and no movement on the deck

Check the insulator on the 510 pin and deck

Check that your post screws are tight

Check that your coil is not loose in any way

Check that you have no wire protruding to touch the chimney

Test it without wicking and juicing it, so once the coil is in, close it up and slap it on a mod.

Last edited:
I find this happens with Ni wire, but I pick it up before it goes in the mod because I build, install, strum and check for hot spots and then check on the ohm meter. Then I wick and juice the cotton and break it in by pulsing and juicing until I am happy. Often when I check the ohms again, it will have changed.

All of the above is great advice. If you have spares try new screws.

@Timwis I do agree that the resistance can drop occasionally but I've been vaping mtl in rtas for a while and and it has never dropped by 0.14. None of the devices pick up on an atomizer short

Shot. Just wanted to check if you using ss etc because those do jump around.

Do like @DarthBranMuffin suggested but also take the entire tank apart and wash it. I’ve had this before when there was a tiny wire clipping on the base causing kak. Good luck.
Thanks bud gonna go do what @DarthBranMuffin suggested again hopefully this time it works

I am wracking my brain as to reasons why this may be happening:

Poor connection, could be screws, could be a worn contact point, could be an improperly screwed in 510 pin.

Piece of coil wire in tank.

Torn or poor insulator

SS coil or SS in coil make up

If the coil was touching, it would short, so I don't think that.

Too high a W put through coil at dry fire

From what you are describing the resistance is dropping. I wonder if heating those coils expands the wire creating less resistance for the electrons to flow through. Are the coils still tight when fitted, loose wire could also cause this I think. Are they fitted contact or spaced ?

After removing hot spots check if the screws on the wire are still tight. Sometimes the wire gets looser when heating and strumming the coil.

Wash it very well, strip it completely, I am sure there is a metal piece in there somewhere that is very small

@Timwis I do agree that the resistance can drop occasionally but I've been vaping mtl in rtas for a while and and it has never dropped by 0.14. None of the devices pick up on an atomizer short
I can quite often get similar drop with builds around what you are using, constant jumping around would be more abnormal but you say it settles at 0.65ohms to me that's what's your build has come out at and it would only be further movement of note that's unusual behaviour. @charln expects his new MTalien Hybrids to be at 0.80ohm when initially heated up but then drop and settle in at 0.60ohm that's a far bigger drop than you get!

@Leven Naicker, think maybe it's the coil? I've got a white collar mtl in my expro v5 and I'm also noticing some anomalies. Resistance is sitting at 0.69 ohms steadily, but sometimes it drops to 0.19 and stays that way. Have to remove the tank and put it back on for it to reset back to 0.69. I haven't had time to look into it, but will try and change the coil later to a vandy vape super fine and see if it still occurs.

Back