Power settings

JackalR

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
Recently new owner of a itaste mvp 2.0 and loving it. Though I found that the iclear clearomizer it came with was a piece of junk and I was an utter newbie when I got the kit.

Ive now gone and gotten an aspire nautilus mini tank and OMW what a difference. I can actually taste what the flavours of the ejuice are and not just a slight yeah maybe its said flavour.

Thing is I want more flavour out of my setup and I thought perhaps im not using the correct power and amp settings.

I there a thread of juices tested with what power settings used. I understand that everyone has a different opinion on how to get the best power settings for the best taste. How I usually went about it was start both settings at lowest and slowly increase each to see what happens to the flavor. So basically im looking for a thread that has recommended power settings and then customising to my own tastes

Any advice input will be greatly appreciated

JACKALR

Both the the MVP & the Nautilus mini is highly rated around here - a very good choice.

The variable voltage & variable wattage devices can be quite confusing for new vapers, as it is impossible for you to adjust both at the same time.
The benefit of using the power mode is that the unit will automatically adjust the voltage based on the resistance of the atomizer coil to retain the same sort of taste profile across different tanks.
If you use the voltage mode, you have to re-adjust it yourself to retain the same power settings for different coil resistances.

The best is just to start at a lower wattage & change it upwards to see what is best for you. If you get to a setting you like, leave it there and most tanks should then give a similar flavor profile.

For the MVP and most other devices, it will retain the setting for the last option you selected, be it voltage mode or power mode. On top of this the MVP will remember both your last voltage setting you selected and the last power setting you selected. Simply hold the U or P button for a few seconds to switch between the 2 options.

Here's some detail to explain the relationships, just in case you are interested :

Lets use the common formulas for the 3 known options we work with, where P = power in watts, E = volts & R the resistance in ohms.
P = E2/R
E = sqrt(P * R)
R = E2/P​

You mentioned MVP & Nautilus mini, of which the typical coil resistance is about 1.9 ohm.

Lets say you had it on Power (watts), it would then automatically adjusts the voltage based on the resistance of the coil to generate the energy of the wattage selected. Lets say you set it to 8 watts, the unit would have to set the voltage to about 3.8987 volts :
E = sqrt(P * R)
E = sqrt(8 * 1.9) = sqrt(15.2)
E = ~3.89 volts​

If you change the atomizer to, let's say a Kangertech mini Protank 3 with a 1.5 ohm coil, the unit would need to adjust the voltage to maintain 8 watts of power :
E = sqrt(P * R)
E = sqrt(8 * 1.5) = sqrt(12.0)
E = ~3.46 volts​

If you changed it to voltage mode, the energy output (watts) would actually be reduced if the voltage was set to lower, i.e. at 3.3.
P = E2/R
P = 3.32/1.9 = 10.89 / 1.9
P = 5.73 watts​

and for the mPT3
P = 3.32/1.5 = 10.89 / 1.5
P = 7.26 watts

Hi @JackalR

Congrats on the MVP2 and Nautilus Mini - great kit indeed.

@Kuhlkatz has given an excellent overview and good advice. I share his sentiments

Here's what I do on the MVP2
- I always use it in power mode
- I start quite low - about 7 Watts
- I move up and see how the vape changes
- Usually, it just gets a bit more intense with more vapour and flavour
- But with some juices the flavour gets a bit "burnt" or changes slightly as I go higher
- I have found that the flavour is usually sweeter at lower power and less sweet at higher power.
- I just remember what power setting suits that flavour

On the Nautilus Mini I tend to hover around 10 Watts for most flavours I have tried

Thanks, I also find 10 watts works well especially with fivepawns gambit. Hooked on it at the moment. Though I first vaped the red bull flavour from dragon juice. I find those intense flavours work better on low wattage.

Back