Recipe Etiquette

Absolutely. However we both know the implementation thereof isn't that simple ;) The market is a complicated one, especially with the saturation we're seeing now. There are loads of variables that influence these things - my point was that this sort of behavior, which is unavoidable, makes it very challenging for vendors to contribute to the DIY community.

Very true. And really a shame - I would've loved to see more recipes by the professionals.

Absolutely. However we both know the implementation thereof isn't that simple ;) The market is a complicated one, especially with the saturation we're seeing now. There are loads of variables that influence these things - my point was that this sort of behavior, which is unavoidable, makes it very challenging for vendors to contribute to the DIY community.

Agreed and it is unavoidable, there will always be someone trying to make a quick buck but I also like to think the market is pretty self correcting. Vaping is still a relatively small community and people get excited about the next juice that is being released by the likes of yourself or @method1. I mean there are a hundred strawberry milkshakes out there but some sell better than others, its down to the brand being able to sell it and not only the recipe.

That said, I tip my hat to guys like yourself who are making a living from this type of thing and the fact you will help out the DIY community regardless. I think we understand that it is your bread and butter.

Ya, I get that, from a vendors point of view.

As a DIY'er though, I applaud and appreciate you disclosing a retired recipe. And honestly, when I actually buy juice I would remember that. And I believe there are more DIY'ers that share my sentiment.

If I was buying US juice for example - I would be looking for Andirondak, Vapor Trails, Good Life etc.. all of which gracefully share their retired recipes.

But then again, DIY'ers like me just don't buy much juice, so why should vendors care :)

Hi @Andre

Would you like me to move the posts relating to copyright issues to a new thread
I see from about post 65 to about 96 - give or take a few
If so, let me know where it should go, or perhaps create a new thread and i will move them
Alternatively, give me an appropriate thread title and i can do it.

Otherwise, if you would rather leave those discussions in this thread, that is also okay
Just offering

Hi @Andre

Would you like me to move the posts relating to copyright issues to a new thread
If so, let me know where it should go, or perhaps create a new thread and i will move them

Otherwise, if you would rather leave those discussions in this thread, that is also okay
Just offering
I think moving them would be a good idea. If a newbie to DIY is looking for recipes they might give up after post 65. Just my R0.02.

I think moving them would be a good idea. If a newbie to DIY is looking for recipes they might give up after post 65. Just my R0.02.

Thanks @Glytch - will wait for the thread starter from Koringberg to advise

Hi @Andre

Just offering
@Silver, feel free to move at you discretion as to place and title. Leaving as is, does not bother me either as the Index helps those who want to avoid the idle chatter. Thank you for picking up on these things.

Last edited:
I am with @method1 on this, not that any of my recipes have been taken or I think they will be, I don't think I am a good enough DIY'er, but I have spent many hours mixing, testing and tweaking recipes until it is bang on what I am looking for.

If a commercial mixer(not saying they do or will, this is all hypothetical) comes along, trawls the DIY thread and see's something good, they test it and sell your hard work to turn a decent profit, doesn't seem right. But then again what is right in this world.

I myself might not have any inclination to sell liquid, at the moment, but this might change in a few months? A few months ago I never imagined myself DIY'ing my own liquids...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As ENYAWREKLAW put it, the second you have done the work, learned your craft and lovingly tweaked your mixes, it is no less valuable than any Five Pawns bottle. Plus we kinda develop a relationship with our recipes so if it gets ripped off it feels like an unwanted divorce from your creativity. Just not right.

ESPECIALLY if you never intended to make money but was just having fun, as 99 percent of us DIY guys are thinking. That's like taking candy from babies.

Apologies for the side track gentlemen.

Do you think Wayne has been following the discussion on this forum?? He does mention South Africa o_O

Sorry if I'm continuing the side-tracking of this thread, but it seemed relevant.

Do you think Wayne has been following the discussion on this forum?? He does mention South Africa o_O

Sorry if I'm continuing the side-tracking of this thread, but it seemed relevant.

Yeah he's very much aware.
The video responds in part to something that happened here recently which involved Wayne, myself and another local vendor.

Yeah he's very much aware.
The video responds in part to something that happened here recently which involved Wayne, myself and another local vendor.
Dont tell me it is going POLITICAL over here already?!

Making this thread to house several discussions from the DiY Dessert Recipes thread.

Moving is in progress...
Will update this post when done

I hear what you're saying, and I agree, but posting on a public forum is kind of giving it away. Like putting a child up for adoption and then being upset when he grows up to be a millionaire and his adoptive parents live like kings while you suffer in poverty. I'm not saying any vendors have taken recipes from diy sections, but I'm pretty certain that some have taken ideas from this or other forums' diy threads and developed what is new and happening. Just stating that some people will try to make money off a hobby, while others don't care about it. For me personally, hobbies stop being fun once it's work.
I would guess most of our mixtures come from existing juices in some shape or form anyway.

All the "Recipe Etiquette" related posts have been moved to this newly created thread

If you want to discuss this sort of thing, go ahead in this thread

Hopefully it will mean less clutter in the DIY Recipe threads

I know it feels super bad man... but either the DIY scene or the commercial juice scene would've been dead a long time ago if juice cloning/public recipe marketing had a very significant impact. Yet the DiY scene is still very much alive, new mixologists are still popping up and existing mixologists still share older recipes.

The only two concellations are a) that, by developing new, original recipes, you are continuously honing yourself as a mixologist and should be able to continuously come up with new recipes, whereas the free-loader is bound to others. This is a marketable skill and one that will always give an edge to someone like you. b) This is luckily still a relative close-knit community, and boycotters should not get the same market share as talented mixologists.

But that said - it still sucks balls.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Well... you got me thinking... and in the end I am not creatively threatened by my ideas being used by another because I am capable of MORE IDEAS.

If I come up with something worth sharing I will do so with much glee. And if somebody wants to brand it, bottle it, and distribute it, I guess he ends up owning MOST of the creative rights to the end product anyway.

I like how you think.

Back