REO door refurbs?

Ashley A

Vaping Enthusiast
LV

Awards
Hi guys,

I have 2 REO doors that I want to re-paint. One is an SL and the other is a solid door.

I was apprehensively going to attempt this myself but after getting everything in my trolley, I calculated was going to cost about R400 to do them which means I might as well buy 1 spanking new door since they're both for one REO.

Also, I was probably going to be left with about 95% unused supplies which don't have a shelf-life anywhere near to when I'll need to do this again and I will have both one colour unless another R70 bucks on a different colour.

I figure if anyone is doing any refurbishments any time soon, I could help out with some of the costs if you could paint my doors as well. I want the SL door in black that it is now but open to other colours for the solid door which had a DIY attempt by a previous owner.

Let me know and we can make a plan. Otherwise, if anyone knows where I can get really small quantities of paint stripper, aluminium primer, and metalic spraypaint that I can get the job done more cheaply without lots of wastage, it would be really great.

Use acetone to strip the old paint. Cheaper than paint stripper and it works better IMO.

Ah, thanks for that. Can do that and have 2 raw aluminium doors until I'm ready to paint. Better than partial chipped paint

@Ashley A I usually buy 1 liter bottles Acetone at Mica. Use an old ice cream tub and cover the door with it completely. Leave overnight or a few hours. Other spray paint, like can paints, usually just lift off completely by itself. The original REO paint I had to rub off a little using a rag and my thumb nail. The Spraymate primer works great. I used that on my mini's door before applying the neon green and crackle from the same company. Use an ear buds with the acetone to get into the SL door's little bits and pieces.

NB!
Just be careful to avoid soaking the magnets in acetone. The glue will degrade.

I've stripped the doors many times using paint stripper, only takes about 5 minutes max to get back to raw aluminum. Taking care to avoid the magnets of course.

NB!
Just be careful to avoid soaking the magnets in acetone. The glue will degrade.

Tell that to my one dodgy magnet :-D I've soaked in acetone over night and it still wont come out.. I eventually filed it down. Maybe one day it will pop out *sigh*

how about having it powdercoated ?

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the info guys. Think I'll try the acetone soak in an angle to keep the magnets out of harms way and then some elbow grease with a cloth on the magnet part if powder coating isn't a better option.

@gertvanjoe How much does powder coated normally cost om a door and d you know anywhere that does it in the Randburg or Midrand areas?

Yo bro i can do it for u if u want, im a spraypainter so I can do any colour basically, u will jst have to get it 2 me and pick it up.im in the east rand pm me if u keen

Thanks for the offer @michael dos santos. Trying the acetone first.

Just an update. I bought some acetone and put the solid door to test. Low and behold, the paint started to bubble amd lift within seconds. I took it out and the brown DIY job paint peeled off like the skin off a banana and revealed the original "glitter blue" reo paint still intact so I washed it off and thats what I'm using now. Might just redo the clear coat later.

I then started to soak the SL door. That also had a nice surprise. Appears that the original black anodized work was under the gloss black finish that was peeling off. Unfortunately I left that a little too long so the anodized work started to get a white residue in places. Anyway, soaking that some more until it's all off and then I'll look at painting it if the raw aluminium doesn't work for me.

Further update. I left the SL door to soak overnight to get rid of the last remnants of the black.

Even though I angled it to keep the magnets out the acetone, they have come off.

Read some threads but seems a little confusing about liquid glue and gel types and just a drop and using other magnets.

Seems like hectic stuff. Won't a drop off proper liquid super glue do the trick? I'm supposing a toothpick to press it down and a wet cloth on hand for extra smudges should be fine?

Further update. I left the SL door to soak overnight to get rid of the last remnants of the black.

Even though I angled it to keep the magnets out the acetone, they have come off.

Read some threads but seems a little confusing about liquid glue and gel types and just a drop and using other magnets.

Seems like hectic stuff. Won't a drop off proper liquid super glue do the trick? I'm supposing a toothpick to press it down and a wet cloth on hand for extra smudges should be fine?

That's is how I reinserted the missing battery from my 2nd hand mini door. Marked the down side of the magnet with a permanent marker to not confuse it when inserting, a drop of superglue, and used the superglue cap t push into position. Wiped off excess glue with a cloth, and Bob's your unce.

To add to Viper's sound advice, make sure to clean the magnet hole of the old superglue first.

I didnt do this.. I failed :oops: To top it off, I used Q-bond, apparently they don't fuq about when it comes to super glue :wait: That magnet has seen some abuse and still sits there... proud!... as if to mock me :rain:

He did not clean the hole for the magnet properly, now it is sitting just a little proud of the door
Ok, but I'm thinking if it's in and working and it ain't coming off then he actually got the job done right with less work so it should be a pass cum laude. :p

Ok, but I'm thinking if it's in and working and it ain't coming off then he actually got the job done right with less work so it should be a pass cum laude. :p

Except for that hairline crack between the door and lid because its not absolutely flush, that starts to look like the door is smiling at you.

I highly recommend using a 10 minute epoxy rather than super glue for those magnets.

Last edited:
Oooh, sorry. Was a bit slow there. so not cleaning properly means magnets don't sit flush and catch. I think mine cleaned up quite well with the overnight soak in acetone but will double check that. The magnets are going in flush and "appear" to stay put until I put them on something, then they want to stick to everything else.

Yip, I didnt clean the old glue from the hole. So the magnet was protruding a little, I had to file it down a tad, otherwise it'll just chaff away at the body of the reo. When it eventually comes out, I'll replace with a new magnet but this time, I'm making sure to clean that damm hole! lol

Back