Resistance doubled on a fused clapton

aktorsyl

Elite Vaper
ECIGSSA Donor
LV

Awards
Weird thing happened tonight.

I built a 4/5 wrap fused clapton using a roll of Geekvape fused clapton wire (3x30ga wrapped in 38ga, all nichrome). Installed it in the Engine Nano, and it read 0.25 ohm. That's before I started adjusting it.

After adjusting, pulsing, strumming, etc - it read 0.51 ohm. I looked at the legs, grub screws, everything seemed normal. I know the resistance changes after the coil is adjusted to glow evenly... but double the resistance? According to Geekvape's site and Steam Engine (using 3 parallel wires for the calc), the resistance should be closer to 0.3.

Could be retained heat increasing the measured resistance?
Your ID 3.5mm?
View attachment 103065
3mm. But it reads 0.51 while cold too. Although that attachment seems to indicate 0.47, which makes me feel better. Still strange that there was a permanent doubling of the resistance... maybe there were a shitload of shorts in the wrapping that came out with the strumming.

That heat flux figure confuses me. Unless I'm mistaken it indicates that somewhere around 30W would be optimal for 0.47 ohm? Thus around 28W for 0.51?

I have experienced similar behaviour when using N80 wire. I don't worry much about it because after it settles, it stays there permanently. With N80 I get a low initial resistance thereafter it goes higher.

I had a bit of a weird experience myself,can't understand if its normal or not,I built 2 coils with nichrome 80 3mm ID 5-6 wraps,1st coil came out to 0.32ohms so I assumed 2 coils will be around 0.16ohms,when I put both the coils in my Icon Rda it reads 0.29ohms,I was abit baffled but it still works for me

I can also relate to this @aktorsyl

Sometimes I also get the resistance lower at first and then after tweaking and juicing up it goes higher. Happens to me more on dual coils with NI80 wire. Along the lines of what @JohnG said above

Strange. I dont know if its the tweaking, prodding and pulsing that changes it or if its inaccuracies with the ohm readers.

I dont recall getting this "issue" with kanthal simple single coils, so maybe its a NI80 thing.

Happens to me more on dual coils with NI80 wire.
This is so true. Happened to me for the first time yesterday while doing the review of the Soul Style RDA and I have to say that it was also the first time I made a pure Ni80 build. Normally I use SS cores wrapped with Ni.
Weird since performance is not affected at all.

@aktorsyl

I'm sorry to have to tell you this mate, but your vape gear has been possessed by a vape demon and you have no choice but to:
1. Quit vaping and,
2. Send all your vape gear to me to get rid of the demon (unfortunately, that process takes a long time)

Sorry mate, you have no choice :p

@aktorsyl

I'm sorry to have to tell you this mate, but your vape gear has been possessed by a vape demon and you have no choice but to:
1. Quit vaping and,
2. Send all your vape gear to me to get rid of the demon (unfortunately, that process takes a long time)

Sorry mate, you have no choice :p
Lol! Imagine one of those fake Farcebook "warning" chains:

"If your resistance shows double, GET OUT OF THE HOUSE IMMEDIATELY AND CALL THE POLICE!"

Or with a horror twist:

"He switched the mod on and got a reading consistent with a dual coil setup. But as he looked down, there was the second coil... on the table. He looked at it in terror."

"If your resistance shows double, GET OUT OF THE HOUSE IMMEDIATELY AND CALL THE POLICE!"

Or with a horror twist:

"He switched the mod on and got a reading consistent with a dual coil setup. But as he looked down, there was the second coil... on the table. He looked at it in terror."

Hahaha....awesome!

Or with a horror twist:

This vaper doubled his resistance on a dual coil.... you'll never believe what happened next!

Whenever I try a Nichrome 80, 22 Ga build by using steam-engine I get a different reading on the atty. So the result is always much lower ohms that my target. This has put me off using Nichrome. The readings with Kanthal on Steam-engine are usually accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back