gertvanjoe

Dedicated Vaper
ECIGSSA Donor
LV

Awards
Rip my router took a trip
c2c31208e3f983cf8f2ba79432a49332.jpg

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

This was my spare .... :p But yeah I'm back online now with a DSL network modem ( not router ) At least I'm connected on the pc then

Modem, house phones, intercom and washing machine got eaten in Sundays thunderstorm :(

i feel you bro, lightning struck my house last weekend - and took out my modem, irrigation controller and my motherboards Ethernet port :(. Then I had to scramble for a wifi dongle and I ripped out my old modem - I was like an drug addict looking for something to sell for my internet fix.

anyone seen my sublime reference to recent events ?

Rip my router took a trip
c2c31208e3f983cf8f2ba79432a49332.jpg

Atleast you got 4 years service out of it. My free router from Telkom lasted me a whole 8 months before it croaked & stopped sending out wifi signals :(

Luckily I had a spare . Bought it while shopping for an ISP & only afterwards found out Telkom gave you a free router.

I've lost many modems to lightning as well as a pc and a ps3, but there's a device that is stocked by TakeAlot as well as Makro. It's called an Astraphobe. It automatically disconnects your phone line that goes into your modem when it detects a storm within a certain range and after the storm has blown over it connects again! It's an initial investment of just over R1000 but well worth it if you think about what it saves and for 2 years now I haven't lost a thing! https://m.takealot.com/#product?id=PLID34169960

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I've lost many modems to lightning as well as a pc and a ps3, but there's a device that is stocked by TakeAlot as well as Makro. It's called an Astraphobe. It automatically disconnects your phone line that goes into your modem when it detects a storm within a certain range and after the storm has blown over it connects again! It's an initial investment of just over R1000 but well worth it if you think about what it saves and for 2 years now I haven't lost a thing! https://m.takealot.com/#product?id=PLID34169960

Interesting

It's a bit k@k sometimes when you're busy gaming and it disconnects because of a storm but it does it's job very well!

Hi guys

This goes out to the technical gurus

So my modem is not synching (green light just flashes). Its a telkom supplied netgear modem. Telkom say they think their port is ok, they reset it.

How can i tell if it has been struck by the storm? Did this after the storm. I can connect to it and otherwise it appears to be working. Wifi seems to be working and all the other lights work. Switches on. Etc. have connected it directly to the phone line without the filters etc and still the same.

Am hanging on the end of my flaky MTN 3G signal now but I am really taking strain without my DSL.

Should I just go out and buy a new one? I dont have a spare. Or is there something I can press or toggle to tell if it is indeed faulty or if its a Telkom problem.

Can anyone help me out with some advice?

Hi guys

This goes out to the technical gurus

So my modem is not synching (green light just flashes). Its a telkom supplied netgear modem. Telkom say they think their port is ok, they reset it.

How can i tell if it has been struck by the storm? Did this after the storm. I can connect to it and otherwise it appears to be working. Wifi seems to be working and all the other lights work. Switches on. Etc. have connected it directly to the phone line without the filters etc and still the same.

Am hanging on the end of my flaky MTN 3G signal now but I am really taking strain without my DSL.

Should I just go out and buy a new one? I dont have a spare. Or is there something I can press or toggle to tell if it is indeed faulty or if its a Telkom problem.

Can anyone help me out with some advice?
First check your username/ password combo is correct in the modem's settings.
If that doesnt work, give it a master reset, usually with a paperclip in the back, hold in for 10 seconds, factory defaults and you will need to re enter your user/password etc.

First check your username/ password combo is correct in the modem's settings.
If that doesnt work, give it a master reset, usually with a paperclip in the back, hold in for 10 seconds, factory defaults and you will need to re enter your user/password etc.

Thanks @blujeenz
I have logged in to the modem using the 10.0.0.2 address and all seems fine
Havent tried the paperclip reset - thanks for that suggestion

@Silver does telkom pick up the router? If the master reset doesn't work and telkom doesn't pick it up I would recommend taking it in to your ISP if they have a shop or to an electronics shop like Matrix Warehouse or Incredible Connection to give it a quick test to see if the insides haven't been fried. I had the same problem with a previous router and the results were sadly not so positive for it I hope this helps!

@Silver does telkom pick up the router? If the master reset doesn't work and telkom doesn't pick it up I would recommend taking it in to your ISP if they have a shop or to an electronics shop like Matrix Warehouse or Incredible Connection to give it a quick test to see if the insides haven't been fried. I had the same problem with a previous router and the results were sadly not so positive for it I hope this helps!

Thanks @Quentin
Not sure if Telkom picks it up. All they said was that they can see from their side its not synching. So i presume that means they cant see it.
My ISP is also Telkom
So it looks like a visit to the Telkom shop may be what is needed
Will check the paperclip reset tomorrow and then go from there
Thanks for your help though.

I just cant understand it. I would have thought that if the lightning fried it - it wouldnt work at all and would have smoke coming out of it like a vape device. Haha

Last weeks thunderstorm also damaged my router and Microserver, possibly ADSL modem too. My UPS has phone line protection and I am running a surge protection multi plug on the equipment.
Roughly 10K damage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@noob13 unfortunately these 'surge' protectors on a UPS as don't fully protect as they can only go up to a certain amount of protection before they don't work as a lightning strike is way beyond what anything can protect against. A lightning strike is more of a spike rather than a surge because the lightning strike is a HUGE power spike that prefers to travel through a telephone line because it's the path of least resistance. The only way to prevent this properly is a device that I mentioned in my previous post that physically disconnects the line through a very clever method and it's all locally invented and globally patented because of the ingenius method! I've been through a UPS as well as all of those surge protectors that also have a space for a phone line (No I don't work for them but the inventor of it is a good friend and I vouch for it 1000% because it works)

@noob13 unfortunately these 'surge' protectors on a UPS as don't fully protect as they can only go up to a certain amount of protection before they don't work as a lightning strike is way beyond what anything can protect against. A lightning strike is more of a spike rather than a surge because the lightning strike is a HUGE power spike that prefers to travel through a telephone line because it's the path of least resistance. The only way to prevent this properly is a device that I mentioned in my previous post that physically disconnects the line through a very clever method and it's all locally invented and globally patented because of the ingenius method! I've been through a UPS as well as all of those surge protectors that also have a space for a phone line (No I don't work for them but the inventor of it is a good friend and I vouch for it 1000% because it works)

It certainly looks like a great piece of kit, but not too cheap and it only protects the phone line, no power line protection.
Just not sure if I can justify the price tag but will have to do some more research.

Also, vumatel will start trenching in my area soon. No need for that in Fibre. Just need to protect power outlets

@Silver a lightning strike as far as 2km away can "kill" your modem/router due to galvanic coupling. Done a lot of research back in the early 90's on commission from the CSIR. No surge protector can protect a modem/router if its a direct lightning strike - everything in the vicinity vaporize. The unit @Quentin referred to, is the only solution - works on the same principle as the lightning warning gizmos at a golf club. First take out all POTS filters from all your connection points. If your modem/router still shows that you're connected to the modem/router, but no internet access - throw away and buy a new one, if you connect successfully to internet (after disconnecting all POTS filters), just replace same.

@Silver a lightning strike as far as 2km away can "kill" your modem/router due to galvanic coupling. Done a lot of research back in the early 90's on commission from the CSIR. No surge protector can protect a modem/router if its a direct lightning strike - everything in the vicinity vaporize. The unit @Quentin referred to, is the only solution - works on the same principle as the lightning warning gizmos at a golf club. First take out all POTS filters from all your connection points. If your modem/router still shows that you're connected to the modem/router, but no internet access - throw away and buy a new one, if you connect successfully to internet (after disconnecting all POTS filters), just replace same.

Thanks @johan
Much appreciated. We did indeed have some severe lightning the other night and I recall one strike that was so loud and close it felt like it struck the walls. Was probably that.

Turns out the telephone cable port on the old modem got fried.

Had to get a new modem.

So glad to report that I'm back in action and I don't have to rely on the flaky 3G signal.

Aaahh. Feels much better. You don't know what you're missing till you lose it

Thanks for all the advice and supportive posts

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455811401.943434.jpg

Hi guys

This goes out to the technical boffins - i know there are plenty on here ;-)

Since installing the new Telkom supplied Huawei HG532F wifi adsl modem, my internet is back up and things are generally good

However, i do notice that sometimes my connection "hangs" for a second or two - when I am browsing the web and clicking on something. I have to then click again or click elsewhere. Its asif things freeze for a moment.

I never had this with my previous modem (Telkom supplied Netgear DGN2200M). That was smooth all the time.

I have a 4MBit/sec adsl and Speedtest is consistently showing about 3.2Mbps as it always did. But with this modem i am finding my ping times are all over the place sometimes 160ms. With the old modem it was always around 20-30ms. Nothing else has changed.

I know @Rob Fisher recently posted that this huawei router was not so good but i think his application is fiber.

Am wondering if perhaps there are any settings that need to be tweaked on this modem or should I just go out and buy a different one and keep this as a spare?

Dont get me wrong, it works quite well - but I am noticing a few glitches occasionally which drives me up the wall.

Can anyone offer any advice on this or has anyone experienced a simimlar thing?

Last edited:
Hi Ho what you describe is how my pain and anguish with fibre started and just got worse... I had to reboot that stupid router all the time and on the last morning I had to reboot 8 times before I lost my mind and phoned my techie and told him to bring me a REAL ROUTER!

That Telkom router is a piece of crap! I replaced it with a Netgear Router and haven't had so much as a blip since then!

I have had quite a bit of feedback since my post on FB and the symptoms others are having are the VERY SAME!

Bottom Line: Throw that silly router into the gorge... if you don't have a gorge throw it into the bin!

Back