Show us your Builds - Kayfun, Russians & Similar

I cant comment on the Kayfun or Kayfun style tanks. But on RDA i like to run strings of wicks with the tail of the one wick lying under the other coil. My theory is that the coil doesn't directly heat the wick to the point of making vapor but I have noticed more flavor in doing this.

I cant comment on the Kayfun or Kayfun style tanks. But on RDA i like to run strings of wicks with the tail of the one wick lying under the other coil. My theory is that the coil doesn't directly heat the wick to the point of making vapor but I have noticed more flavor in doing this.
That sounds interesting. Can you post a pic on your next build?

very crude but I think the idea is there. the grey being the wick

upload_2014-12-31_23-52-44.png

Where the wick goes under the opposite coil i just bush it down a little to make sure there is still airflow around the coil

but give me time I am still learning the Kayfun, she is very temperamental when it comes to wicking.

I either get the wicks to short and it floods or I do them to long and it dry burns. every now and then on like the 5 attempt I get it right and it actually hits the right spot.

I either get the wicks to short and it floods or I do them to long and it dry burns. every now and then on like the 5 attempt I get it right and it actually hits the right spot.

Yeah I remember those days...this is the main reason I've neglected the Kayfun for the Lemo - the Lemo just works no matter how you wick it...it's like magic :D

But when you do manage get the Kayfun set up just right, it's a fantastic vape :rock:

Yip I got the one working nicely now, and the other one that use to be awesome is now crap.

That is what led me to wonder about the wicking and it's effect on flavour. Not exactly sure exactly what kind of wicking the BVC coils use, but it might be that they absorb the higher VG better. I do hope you get it working as the Lemo with high VG is cloud machine, and the flavour I got off it was more than decent (even compared to the exact same juice but in high PG).
Apparently that is Ceramic wicking in the BVC coils. Have you tried Rayon @qball?

Ok got one to work better, actually vapable this time. Tests at 1.5 on 2mm ID. Istick picks it up at 1.1???

4d652422cc7294bf4b8c5c270996da2c.jpg

Oh - didn't take another picture, removed some wicking after that.

hey guys with the kayfun style build I find a video. skip past the coil bits and look how he wicks. works like a champ. this sorted out both my kayfun's

the wicking bit starts at about 7:20

hey guys with the kayfun style build I find a video. skip past the coil bits and look how he wicks. works like a champ. this sorted out both my kayfun's

the wicking bit starts at about 7:20

That's exactly the video I watched which inspired my KF dual coil build :D

Last edited:
I had a go at a dual coil build. It came out at 0.4 ohms. Flavour and hit is great but there is very little vapour. Any suggestions? :)

I'll use a real camera next time, for now all I have are phone pics.IMG_20150125_104201[1].jpg IMG_20150125_103353[1].jpg

I had a go at a dual coil build. It came out at 0.4 ohms. Flavour and hit is great but there is very little vapour. Any suggestions? :)

I'll use a real camera next time, for now all I have are phone pics.View attachment 20068 View attachment 20069
Well done on getting two coils mounted on there, that's a tricky build :)

Move the two coils closer together, the air is flowing straight through passed the two coils, air needs to flow over the coils. I'd say move them so that there is about 1 to 1.5mm of space between them.

Well done on getting two coils mounted on there, that's a tricky build :)

Move the two coils closer together, the air is flowing straight through passed the two coils, air needs to flow over the coils. I'd say move them so that there is about 1 to 1.5mm of space between them.

I will give that a go. Thanks for the help. This is becoming my new favorite build. :rofl:

Edit: :inlove: It is so much better now. I can't thank you enough @BumbleBee

Last edited:
Having a go at the Lemo with a 28g Double Twisted coils again. The last time I tried this I trapped the wires under the screw heads nice and snug, it gave me very inconsistent resistance readings. This time I followed @free3dom's advice and put the leads though the post holes.

This is a 2mm ID with 6 wraps at 0.8 ohms (mostly) wicked with Rayon. @freedom, it's doing that Funk thing again. Doesn't do it with standard single strand coils. Anyone have any thoughts?

10954738_10205812324648831_1461825656_n.jpg 10944578_10205812324568829_1009384210_n.jpg 10968178_10205812324368824_754105073_n.jpg

I'm still using the nichrome build that came with my Lemo, with some tweaking, its been performing really, really well. I'm hitting it at 18W-19.5W, and its giving me a ton of vapor and flavour. Heres the build pic, along with a pic of my drilled out centre pin.

The wire looks and feels like 26AWG Nichrome 80, and the ID of the coil is a 4.5MM :p

OHM'd out to 1.15 when it was brand new, now its hovering around 1.22, the wire feels noticeably more brittle, it'll be interesting to see how many more rewicks it can take, this is number 5.

Another thing I'm noticing, is that, despite me spacing the coil out each time I rewick, over the course of a weeks use, the coil tightens up, pretty significantly, the spaces between the wraps, reduces by about 75%.

IMG_5502.JPG

This is what the coil looked like after a weeks usage. Before I cleaned it, in the above picture
(I know, my mind makes about as much sense with chronology as a litter of kittens doing back flips)

IMG_5500.JPG

Last edited:
Back