Squonker Atty

WARMACHINE

Elite Vaper
ECIGSSA Donor
LV

Awards
Squonkvillans, what atty's are recommended for Squonkers, and who supplies locally ?

Well, let's start with a few questions...

What kind of vaping do you prefer? Tootle puffing for flavour, subohming for vapour? MTL or DL inhaling?

Basically, there are 2 families of atties for squonking - 14mm with less air and flavour-first characteristics, and 22mm for bigger air. Lots of exceptions to that, but it's a starting framework.

Take a gander at the reosmods site to see some examples of each: http://www.reosmods.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=32&Itemid=3

Depends on what type of vape you're after... A mouth to lung closed airflow or a wide open lung hit .

@JakesSA at vapeclub can do a bf modification on most drippers

Squonkvillans, what atty's are recommended for Squonkers, and who supplies locally ?

I think you'll get many varied replies on this one.
Try and narrower it down a bit.
Do you like single or dual coils,you want to try and blow clouds or prefer flavour,what mod you planning to put it on.

I think you'll get many varied replies on this one.
Try and narrower it down a bit.
Do you like single or dual coils,you want to try and blow clouds or prefer flavour,what mod you planning to put it on.
I build everything. I love drippers with 0.1-0.2 builds, but that is not my carry setup. So I would say a 0.5 dual coil.

I build everything. I love drippers with 0.1-0.2 builds, but that is not my carry setup. So I would say a 0.5 dual coil.

So you could consider a rogue, derringer, freak show mini, "top secret velocity"

Sounds like you're a DL vaper, so you'll want some air to go with those duals.

To max flavour while getting decent air, I'd suggest an Origen 16mm (OL16, O-16, Origen Little) or a Nuppin', but I'm not sure about sourcing them in SA. The O-16 can be had from NA and EU vendors who ship internationally. The Nuppin' is not made anymore but can be picked up in classies.

The cyclone with afc cap would fit your build preferences, has decent flavour (not as good as the regular cap), and you should be able to source one locally.

To get some bigger air (at the sacrifice of some flavour, IMHO), the Derringer/RM8, Stumpy, Thump, Vector/RM9 would be good options. All RM atties are available at reosmods.com. I also like the Velocity, but I'd wait for the upcoming V2.

Things like the Narda, Pancake, and M-Atty are well over-hyped and good luck finding one.

One big consideration for squonking is the leak factor - a side effect of bottom feeding. Usually, it happens through the air holes, so a lot of squonkers avoid bottom air atties like the Freak Show, Magma, Vengeance, etc. A lot of side air atties are fine once you learn them and top air atties like the Thump, Rogue, Vector, Manta, Hastur are particularly appreciated for their leakproofness

I have tried a lot of squonking atties and I still like my MTL Cyclones and Divo's and I think the reason I like them so much is because they were designed for squonking from day one! They have a juice feed hole that drains properly... unlike most other atties that are converted to BF... the 2013 Cyclone, Divo and Hornet all have a concave deck that drains back into the bottle perfectly which means the wick is saturated and then left with just the right amount of juice and the rest goes back into the bottle.

Converted atties tend to have a juice well and as far as I'm concerned the juice cooks and sits in that well and the perfection of a squonker is lost.

I have spent a fortune on lung hitting atties and quite frankly I have not found one that is perfect... I have to say the Manta is the best of the bunch and you can either pay $110 plus shipping from the USA or get a $10 clone Manta from Fasttech and wait 3 months for it to arrive and then ask @JakesSA or @hands to convert it to BF for you. I honesty can't tell the difference between my authentic and clone Mantas!

Based on the feedback from our local Reonauts I really should try a Little Origin 16 again... but I'm happy with my MTL with Tropical Ice on my Squonkers and then for my Lung hits I use the Target Tank on regualted mods.

@Papa_Lazarou bring up a very important point on the air holes. Most atties can be bottom fed but some just work better, i have a heavy finger and tend to over squonk on a full bottle a by pressing the bottle to hard. Top airflow atties work great for that problem. The Manta is also a nice atty to bottom feed with its top airflow and small inside chamber. One other thing to consider on the attie is how well it can drain the juice back into the bottle, you want to press the bottle to wet the wick and the juice should go back into the bottle when you let go.

Moved the discussion to here... more appropriate...

@Papa_Lazarou I had given up on looking for a lung squonk atty for flavour and I'm gonna try again...

This Stumpy build is with 7 wrap dual nichrome 26g coils coming out at 0,27Ω. Gives clouds for days but really lacking in the flavour dept. Any suggestions. I'm using Rayon wick.

Stumpy1.jpg Stumpy2.jpg Stumpy3.jpg Stumpy4.jpg

My money is on the cyclone, easy single coil atty with loads of flavor (best flavour I have had this far) and the afc top cap makes for direct lung hits.
The O 16 looks like a winner but I have not tried it.

My money is on the cyclone, easy single coil atty with loads of flavor (best flavour I have had this far) and the afc top cap makes for direct lung hits.
The O 16 looks like a winner but I have not tried it.

Yip I have to agree... for me the Cyclone is a winner... but the air hole needs to be drilled to 1,5mm.

What, about BF Sapor RDA? if its drilled like right in line with where the positive block exits the floor of the deck, it should drain properly. Has anyone tried this?

Basically drilled up through the 510, and then straight through to feed juice to both sides of the deck.

I ask, because I'm seriously considering taking a walk down the squonk road. But I like lots of air, and lots of power.

What, about BF Sapor RDA? if its drilled like right in line with where the positive block exits the floor of the deck, it should drain properly. Has anyone tried this?

Basically drilled up through the 510, and then straight through to feed juice to both sides of the deck.

I ask, because I'm seriously considering taking a walk down the squonk road. But I like lots of air, and lots of power.

Looked at the Sapor a few times and I just can't see how it can be BF'ed!

If I remember correctly @Andre has a BF Sapor. Any thoughts on it sir?
Im also considering getting mine BF for my Woodvil.

Best bottom fed atty in my opinion, I have bottom fed a couple of them.

@Papa_Lazarou I had given up on looking for a lung squonk atty for flavour and I'm gonna try again...

This Stumpy build is with 7 wrap dual nichrome 26g coils coming out at 0,27Ω. Gives clouds for days but really lacking in the flavour dept. Any suggestions. I'm using Rayon wick.

View attachment 48299 View attachment 48300 View attachment 48301 View attachment 48302

I'd move the coils out and slightly up, space permitting. Your coils are pretty long - I run compressed 2.5mm ID 26g netting .3, so I have plenty of room to position. I also run it with the afc wide open. The old RM2 rules seem to apply with the Stumpy - coils to the edge.

I'd also suggest trying a single parallel z-coil of some variant (standard parallel, twisted, tiger, etc.). The Stumpy is a very good atty for beefy low-ohm single coils.

View attachment 48299 View attachment 48300 View attachment 48301 View attachment 48302

Taking a shot in the dark here.

Nichrome heats up too quickly and I find it cooks juice. Great for clouds but mutes everything! Perhaps skip the nichrome all together.

Kanthal spaced coil as low to the deck as possible.

Thanks @Papa_Lazarou and @shaunnadan! Will try the Stumpy again with the suggested build. Wow I see the instant heat up of Nichrome! First time I have used it... I guess clouds is why @Oliver Barry likes Nichrome! :D

I just tried the Nichrome in a Cyclone... 7 wrap microcoil and all of a sardine I'm getting better flavour with XXX... I have found XXX muted in all my Squonk Builds and I'm finally getting somewhere!

Thanks @Papa_Lazarou and @shaunnadan! Will try the Stumpy again with the suggested build. Wow I see the instant heat up of Nichrome! First time I have used it... I guess clouds is why @Oliver Barry likes Nichrome! :D

I just tried the Nichrome in a Cyclone... 7 wrap microcoil and all of a sardine I'm getting better flavour with XXX... I have found XXX muted in all my Squonk Builds and I'm finally getting somewhere!

You can try this build that I use in my Thump, which is similar to the stumpy
26gauge, 7 wraps, kanthal. Centre the coil close to the deck

582ae5fe9953a0bcfe8a6bdb4e79b761.jpg

I was using SS for a while but it gets too hot and fries the cotton and boils the juice

I set the air hole on 1.5 out of 3

Now here's 1 weird thing about nichrome.

It's a great Flavour today... Tomorrow the wick is very tired and need to be replaced. Not unusually gunked up but definitely loses Flavour after time a lot quicker. Fresh wicks and your good again.

Back