Sub Ohm questions

NOOB

Dedicated Vaper
LV

Awards
Hi all. I've mainly been using single and dual coil RDA's and RTA's and have no experience with sub ohm tanks and coils. I know this is probably a silly question, but was wondering whether sub ohm tanks require more maintenance than an RDA or RTA i.e. rewicking etc? This might be subjective, but how long does a coil usually last? Iam asking this as I have recently seen the Vaporesso Armour Pro kit and would know whether the sub ohm coils are actually worth while. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sub-ohm tanks are far more easier to work with and use. The only thing you do is refill and change the coil. I have the Armour Pro and the Vaporesso GT tank is quite good. I actually still use that tank.

The coil lifespan is dependent on how frequently you use it and what juice you use. Sweet juices will gunk it up faster and frequent usage will naturally affect the lifespan of the coil. I typically get good lifespan from my coil heads so I can't complain.

Agree with @daniel craig.
Sub-ohm tanks are much easier (I did my first coil replacement on my own this past weekend-was very chuffed with myself because my husband always did it lol). They are also awesome when you are travelling.

My RDA gets taken everywhere else except when I am driving:wasntme:

Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate it. I normally do a lot of research before I decide to take the plunge and have noticed that the GT mesh and ccell coils (for the Armour Pro) are pretty much out of stock everywhere. Are these coils difficult to come by? I dont want to buy a sub ohm just to sit without coils for a while and not be able to use it until vendors get stock again.

I am located in the Eastern Cape and order most of my stuff online.

I found the eleaf Mesh coils the best in the Vaporesso NRG tank back then. It's also much cheaper than the vaporesso ones. R50 vs R80

I might be dof but are you asking about the maintenance difference between and RTA/RDA and a tank that uses factory coils?

If that is what you are asking then non-rebuildable tanks that use factory coils are much more convenient and less work than a rebuildable unit. I have iJust 2 and Mello 3 tanks that use factory coils but I never use them. The rebuildable tanks are much more economical and flexible. I rewick my Wasp in 2 minutes so that also becomes less of an issue as you get used to it.

@NOOB - The only silly questions are those that aren't asked. ;)

When I still used tanks that you buy specific coils for, my coils used to last anything from 4 days to 2 weeks. As mentioned above, this is all subject to type of juice and vape frequency.Personally, I would not move from RDA / RTA to Prebuilt.

Thanks @baksteen8168. Appreciate your input. If I might ask, is there a particular reason why you would not go from RDA / RTA to prebuilt?

Hi @NOOB

I agree with the posts above - you generally get better flavour from a rebuildable than a factory coil. If you can coil and wick it correctly. That said, some of the factory coil devices are getting good these days and the gap is definitely getting narrower.

Just want to add that despite the above, I do think its a good idea for a vaper using rebuildables to get at least one good factory coil device. It makes for a good backup - and for those times where rebuilding might not be possible. Also nice for out and about use as a backup. When I go away I always take a factory coil setup and a spare coil just in case. Might not be the best vape but it can carry me through if something goes wrong with my rebuildable and I'm not able to rebuild/rewick.

The other thing with factory coil devices is I tend to use lighter coloured fruity menthol juices in them that are not too sweet, so it doesnt gunk up the coil too quick. I dont use factory coils for rich desserty juices or NET tobaccoes.

Hi @NOOB

I agree with the posts above - you generally get better flavour from a rebuildable than a factory coil. If you can coil and wick it correctly. That said, some of the factory coil devices are getting good these days and the gap is definitely getting narrower.

Just want to add that despite the above, I do think its a good idea for a vaper using rebuildables to get at least one good factory coil device. It makes for a good backup - and for those times where rebuilding might not be possible. Also nice for out and about use as a backup. When I go away I always take a factory coil setup and a spare coil just in case. Might not be the best vape but it can carry me through if something goes wrong with my rebuildable and I'm not able to rebuild/rewick.

The other thing with factory coil devices is I tend to use lighter coloured fruity menthol juices in them that are not too sweet, so it doesnt gunk up the coil too quick. I dont use factory coils for rich desserty juices or NET tobaccoes.
Thank you @Silver. Really appreciate your advice and insight on this.

@Silver reason for having a factory coil device is a good one. In my early years of vaping I did this as well.

Lately I moved over to squonkers so in my traveling vape bag I have my Pulse 80w and Recurve RDA setup. Then I also carry my limitless arms race v2 and 2 RTA's. In my case I feel that should all 3 fail, then I just wasn't meant to vape that day. :rofl:

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not knocking factory devices at all. Like @Silver said, some of them provide very good flavor and vapor production (like the Crown 3). It's just that my personal preference leans towards rebuildables.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

@Silver reason for having a factory coil device is a good one. In my early years of vaping I did this as well.

Lately I moved over to squonkers so in my traveling vape bag I have my Pulse 80w and Recurve RDA setup. Then I also carry my limitless arms race v2 and 2 RTA's. In my case I feel that should all 3 fail, then I just wasn't meant to vape that day. :rofl:

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not knocking factory devices at all. Like @Silver said, some of them provide very good flavor and vapor production (like the Crown 3). It's just that my personal preference leans towards rebuildables.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

@baksteen8168 - I think you are right - but you know what - if all 3 fail - then I think you need another backup
Lol

Back