Tark's Select Reserve - Juice Reviews

great review as always @Silver, thank you so much, you just turned another juice into a gotta try juice for me hahaha :rock:

Hi all

This is the fourth of my Tark's Select Reserve reviews. It is of their Matador flavour. I bought it from SubOhmVapor. Matador cost me R250 for 30ml. The juice is 50/50 PG/VG and I got the 18mg strength.

I have been vaping Matador for nearly 4 weeks in the REO and am on my last refill, so have nearly finished it. Here goes...

Tark's Select Reserve - MATADOR (18mg)

Bottom line - to me, this is a bold tobacco with a bitter taste. I grew to like it over time. It is great for when you need a strong nic hit. Overall though, depite it being a good quality premium juice, the bitter flavour is just not something my taste buds crave on a daily basis. I enjoyed the experience, but will probably not be re-ordering.

The liquid has a dark orange colour and smells sweet and bitter.

Tarks Matador.jpg

I get a heavy tobacco flavour combined with a strange bitter taste. I say strange not in a bad sense but just that I am not used to this flavour. It reminds me a bit of marzipan. I also get a creamy taste in the background mixed in with the tobacco. It does have a slight wooded taste to me at times - sort of "oaky". Definitely complex and the flavours are quite strong.

The interesting thing about this juice is that it grew on me. In the first few days I didn't really like that bitter taste much. But the more I vaped it, the more I got used to it and it didn't seem so strange anymore. Now it seems quite normal and I quite like it. Hence I was able to vape the whole bottle. Not all day, just as one of several devices. I think it's an acquired taste.

The makers describe it as a "strong sweet cigar tobacco with a kick". I was never into cigars so I don't know, but I assume that bitter taste is cigar-like? Nevertheless, strong it is. Tobacco it is. And it has a kick. There is a sweetnesss to it but to me it's more of a bitter flavour.

Although there is some sweetness, I would not rate this as a sweet vape. It's more bitter to me. I find it on the drier side. This is a warmish vape and has a natural taste.

The juice vapes very well and the texture is quite "coarse". I never had a problem with wicking or vaporisation in the REO.

What I loved about this juice was that it packed a decent punch. Throat hit was medium to strong. Very satisfying for those times when you need a good nic hit. It definitely makes this a bold vape, not something mellow and mild.

The aftertaste is quite prominent. I get a creamy type of tobacco with that bitterness. The taste stays for quite a while.

I vaped this at all times of the day when I was in need of a strong nic hit. Not good for mindless vaping though. I quite liked it with coffee in the mornings. Interestingly, after eating biltong, it tasted sweeter.

I think tobacco lovers, especially those that like a strong tobacco vape, should give this a try. Was thinking specifically of @Tom, who likes Cigar de Paris and the marzipan flavour ;-)

Packaging:
- I think the packaging is decent. Dark coloured bottles with a simple screw cap. You can see in the photo above that the dark bottle is slightly see-through. It's not glass but some sort of plastic.
- It is quite unique looking - like a little bottle of alcohol - neat - with an "old fashioned" type of logo and what looks like handwritten particulars. The writing smudged slightly on this one. I may have spilled some juice on it.
- The flavour, nic strength and quantity is there - but there is no PG/VG ratio. I had to do some Googling for that.
- A negative once again is that you need a pipette or blunt needle syringe to load the juice. And once again, when open, don't knock the bottle over or you will spill your juice
- the cap is not of the "child-deterrent" type

Equipment used:
- REO Grand/RM2 with 0.9 ohm coil - cotton wick - (15 to 20 Watts, depending on battery level)

Last edited:
Hi all

This is the fourth of my Tark's Select Reserve reviews. It is of their Matador flavour. I bought it from SubOhmVapor. Matador cost me R250 for 30ml. The juice is 50/50 PG/VG and I got the 18mg strength.

I have been vaping Matador for nearly 4 weeks in the REO and am on my last refill, so have nearly finished it. Here goes...

Bottom line - to me, this is a bold tobacco with a bitter taste. I grew to like it over time. It is great for when you need a strong nic hit. Overall though, depite it being a good quality premium juice, the bitter flavour is just not something my taste buds crave on a daily basis. I enjoyed the experience, but will probably not be re-ordering.

View attachment 9958

I get a heavy tobacco flavour combined with a strange bitter taste. I say strange not in a bad sense but just that I am not used to this flavour. It reminds me a bit of marzipan. I also get a creamy taste in the background mixed in with the tobacco. It does have a slight wooded taste to me at times - sort of "oaky". Definitely complex and the flavours are quite strong.

The interesting thing about this juice is that it grew on me. In the first few days I didn't really like that bitter taste much. But the more I vaped it, the more I got used to it and it didn't seem so strange anymore. Now it seems quite normal and I quite like it. Hence I was able to vape the whole bottle. Not all day, just as one of several devices. I think it's an acquired taste.

The makers describe it as a "strong sweet cigar tobacco with a kick". I was never into cigars so I don't know, but I assume that bitter taste is cigar-like? Nevertheless, strong it is. Tobacco it is. And it has a kick. There is a sweetnesss to it but to me it's more of a bitter flavour.

Although there is some sweetness, I would not rate this as a sweet vape. It's more bitter to me. I find it on the drier side. This is a warmish vape and has a natural taste.

The juice vapes very well and the texture is quite "coarse". I never had a problem with wicking or vaporisation in the REO.

What I loved about this juice was that it packed a decent punch. Throat hit was medium to strong. Very satisfying for those times when you need a good nic hit. It definitely makes this a bold vape, not something mellow and mild.

The aftertaste is quite prominent. I get a creamy type of tobacco with that bitterness. The taste stays for quite a while.

I vaped this at all times of the day when I was in need of a strong nic hit. Not good for mindless vaping though. I quite liked it with coffee in the mornings. Interestingly, after eating biltong, it tasted sweeter.

I think tobacco lovers, especially those that like a strong tobacco vape, should give this a try. Was thinking specifically of @Tom, who likes Cigar de Paris and the marzipan flavour ;-)

Packaging:
- I think the packaging is decent. Dark coloured bottles with a simple screw cap. You can see in the photo above that the dark bottle is slightly see-through. It's not glass but some sort of plastic.
- It is quite unique looking - like a little bottle of alcohol - neat - with an "old fashioned" type of logo and what looks like handwritten particulars. The writing smudged slightly on this one. I may have spilled some juice on it.
- The flavour, nic strength and quantity is there - but there is no PG/VG ratio. I had to do some Googling for that.
- A negative once again is that you need a pipette or blunt needle syringe to load the juice. And once again, when open, don't knock the bottle over or you will spill your juice

Equipment used:
- REO Grand/RM2 with 0.9 ohm coil - cotton wick - (15 to 20 Watts, depending on battery level)

Thanks Silver, as always a detailed review missing absolute nothing.

Hi all

View attachment 9958

Packaging:

Equipment used:
Thank you, Sir. This one sounds like my cup of tea. Will certainly try it now.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

These reviews are certainly helpful, especially with expensive stuff.

If I were retailing, I would ask for review samples (maybe smaller bottles) from the suppliers.

The videogame publishers send the local distributors what we call 'white labels' with their stock. These have a white stripe across saying 'not for resale, for marketing purposes.'

Distros then give them to us reviewers, and make no mistake, reviews sell games.

Serious gamers normally don't order games without review scores breaking.

In this case it really is just a bunch of vapers helping out the community, and I'm grateful. But going forward, it wouldn't hurt retailers' business, I assure. :)

Last edited:
Hi @r0gue z0mbie
Thanks for the feedback.
I do the reviews because I enjoy spending time with a juice and noticing how the juice develops a "personality" over time.
If my comments and impressions help others then that's great.

Just a point on my juice reviews - I buy all the juices I review. That way it's my juice and I can say what I like when I like. I don't feel obliged to say good things or pressured to write the review in a particular timeframe. I do it when I've vaped it long enough and when I have the time available.

While I see the benefit of retailers handing out juices for free - for review purposes, I do think that this can be problematic. At least, the reviewer should state clearly whether the juice was bought or given for free. That way the reader knows the context.

Hi Ho @Silver you are a master juice expert! :rock:

Again thank you for the review... they are really appreciated!

Thanks @Rob Fisher for the kind words...
Gives me great pleasure to know the reviews are appreciated

Hi @r0gue z0mbie

Just a point on my juice reviews - I buy all the juices I review. That way it's my juice and I can say what I like when I like. I don't feel obliged to say good things or pressured to write the review in a particular timeframe. I do it when I've vaped it long enough and when I have the time available.

While I see the benefit of retailers handing out juices for free - for review purposes, I do think that this can be problematic. At least, the reviewer should state clearly whether the juice was bought or given for free. That way the reader knows the context.

I see and understand your point. And I don't doubt that "under the table" reviewing stuff doesn't happen.

But I've been reviewing games for over four years, and a distro hasn't ever so much as commented on a review I did... Whether I like their game or not.

With websites, it's our name on the website and my name on the review, so personally I would never be influenced. If I say it's great and it's actually rubbish, that my name down the tubes.

Again, not saying it doesn't happen.

I am grateful though that you more seasoned vapers can and do review their juices. My palette and taste buds are still a little confused as to why there's no smoke flooding my mouth, so I don't know what I like or want to vape. So these reviews are great, and will lead me to buy stuff.

Everything looks good in their description :)

I see and understand your point. And I don't doubt that "under the table" reviewing stuff doesn't happen.

But I've been reviewing games for over four years, and a distro hasn't ever so much as commented on a review I did... Whether I like their game or not.

With websites, it's our name on the website and my name on the review, so personally I would never be influenced. If I say it's great and it's actually rubbish, that my name down the tubes.

Again, not saying it doesn't happen.

I am grateful though that you more seasoned vapers can and do review their juices. My palette and taste buds are still a little confused as to why there's no smoke flooding my mouth, so I don't know what I like or want to vape. So these reviews are great, and will lead me to buy stuff.

Everything looks good in their description :)

I agree with your comments @r0gue z0mbie
And I agree with the point that if you say something is good when it is actually rubbish, it's your name you are tarnishing.

The thing with juices though is that taste is just so subjective. So what tastes quite nice for you may be totally horrible for me.

I do think the more reviews the better. So if retailers hand out juices for free to get more reviews, then that is great. I still think though that the reviewer should disclose that on their review. For the benefit of the reader.

I was fortunate to get a sampler from @TylerD (thanks mate!) of Poison Elite.
After cleaning my Reo this morning (I was awake at 5, thx to jetlag :) ) I made a new coil. Came out at a nice 0.7 ohm....0.40mm wire 9 times around a 1.5mm drill bit.
That was the right time for a treat....and then I also noticed that I got that juice in a Reo bottle (accidently?).
Anyway, it is awesome so far. Such a pity for availabilty :(

Hi all

This is the first of my Tark's Select Reserve reviews. It is of their Aztec flavour. This is from another US based premium juice manufacturer. I bought it from SubOhmVapor. Aztec cost me R250 for 30ml. Not cheap at R8.33 per ml but not as expensive as Five Pawns (R11.67/ml). The juice is 50/50 PG/VG and I got the 18mg strength.

I have been vaping Aztec for about a week. Here goes...

Tark's Select Reserve - AZTEC (18mg)

Bottom line - this is a very sweet creamy liqueur type of flavour. It's a high quality juice but the flavour is just too sweet and not for me. I will not be re-ordering.

The liquid has a red/orange colour and smells like a creamy liqueur.

Aztec has a sweet creamy taste with a bit of a liqueur tone to it. The website description mentions vanilla custard. For me these are there but its sweeter than I thought it would be and I get too much of that liqueur taste for my liking. It's a sharp initial taste and is quite strongly flavoured. I find it very sweet and rich. It's on the wettish side. It is natural tasting overall but I don't enjoy that liqueur tone to it. Occasionally my taste buds picked up a feint plasticky taste but that could just be me.

This juice has a medium to strong throat hit. It delivers nicely initially and calms down a bit as you vape it more. The first vape after a while punches nicely especially with a quicker draw. Overall it's got decent punch at 18mg.

It vapes well and has a "smooth" action to it. It's quite a bold vape, not a mellow mindless one. Without doubt this is a high quality complex juice but I just couldn't get to enjoy the flavour much - just my personal preference.

While the initial vape is quite sharp, sweet and intense (rich vanilla and that liqueur tone), it mellows out into a nice creamy vanilla type aftertaste. I did like that and if it wasnt for that aspect, I doubt I would have been able to carry on for more than a day or two.

This is a great juice that I am sure many will like - it's just not for me. I think those that like Five Pawns Gambit and Vapour Mountain VM4 may love this flavour. It just seems that my taste buds are not much in favour of the vanilla or sweet custard type flavours.

I found vapour production to be good. Seems on par for a 50/50 juice.

View attachment 7238

Packaging:
- I think the packaging is decent. Dark coloured bottles with a simple screw cap
- It is quite unique looking - like a little bottle of alcohol - neat - with an "old fashioned" type of logo and what looks like handwritten particulars

Equipment used:
spot on...again. Always good to have a @Silver review.

And..."I think those that like Five Pawns Gambit and Vapour Mountain VM4 may love this flavour" is 100% correct. I like both, and I like Aztec. Will reorder this one....although it has to be from the french supplier for me :)

Hi all

View attachment 9958

Packaging:

Equipment used:

I had to try this one at @CraftyZA's behest. Yes, what you experience as "bitter" is a exquisite cigar taste for me. On the exhale I get sweet coconut to counterbalance the cigar. Just enough, not nearly as pronounced as in their Port Royal.

I like most of Tark's Select Reserve jooses, but mostly for occasional vaping (except Poison Elite which is in a class of its own). This one, however, I can vape for much longer. My new favourite, something really different. In my Reo with Reomizer, single coil with ceramic at 0.65 ohms. Tried it on duals in the Cyclops at 0.55, but not as flavourful for me.

A guaranteed re-order for me should this be available in SA again.

I had to try this one at @CraftyZA's behest. Yes, what you experience as "bitter" is a exquisite cigar taste for me. On the exhale I get sweet coconut to counterbalance the cigar. Just enough, not nearly as pronounced as in their Port Royal.

I like most of Tark's Select Reserve jooses, but mostly for occasional vaping (except Poison Elite which is in a class of its own). This one, however, I can vape for much longer. My new favourite, something really different. In my Reo with Reomizer, single coil with ceramic at 0.65 ohms. Tried it on duals in the Cyclops at 0.55, but not as flavourful for me.

Thanks for that @Andre
Sweet coconut - wow - maybe its the ceramic wick picking out the subtleties better than the cotton ;-)

Although I said I would probably not re-order Matador - I did grow to like it more and more - and I loved it's throat thumping qualities!

@Silver, if you like something less "in your face" try that guervo or something like that from VM. You will not get that "bitter" taste there.
I used to smoke cigars monthly, so this is right up my ally.

I've been vaping on some Rasputin for a few days and I'm really really enjoying it, can't get enough of those orange peel notes, not sweet, not bitter... just perfect! :clap:

Unfortunately the same cannot be said for Van Gogh, this one is in your face, super powerful and even downright abusive to your senses. Tried it on my Veritas at 0.9 ohm once, haven't had any desire whatsoever to try it again. I will force myself to try it again sometime, there has got to be something to this juice :notagain:

Its available in France ;) dont know about shipping to SA.... to Germany it was free shipping. google Vapers house France for it.... if you are in dire straits with Tarks :D

Thanks for that @Andre
Sweet coconut - wow - maybe its the ceramic wick picking out the subtleties better than the cotton ;-)

Although I said I would probably not re-order Matador - I did grow to like it more and more - and I loved it's throat thumping qualities!
Found this review on Matador:

From the first vape I'm aware that I have something unique on my hands. Let's delve. I fire the device and begin to draw the vapour into and through my mouth and as I do so I become aware of an earthy, savoury quality to the flavour. Cutting through this is a mounting sweetness along the length of my tongue. With subsequent inhalations the earthy aspect seems to diminish in favour of the sweetness. Having taken as much vapour into my system as I'm able, I follow through with a breath of fresh air which seems to crystallise and amplify the flavour. At this point the flavour of what might be Graham Crackers or cocoa emerges from the foundation flavour which seems to be that of freshly cut, very green tobacco leaves. It's as if the very sap itself has been extracted and filtered before being mixed with the other ingredients. When I begin to exhale there's a residual tingling or "sizzle" on the tip of my tongue accompanied by the rich intermingled flavours of the primary tobacco and what I imagine to be Graham Crackers. Or cocoa. There is furthermore, towards the end of the exhalation and through to the aftertaste, a very subtle trace of roasted leaves which adds further dimension to the overall flavour experience. I'm left with the incredible impression that I've genuinely inhaled the product of combusted plants. Finally, the tip of my tongue is slightly anaesthetised and my salivary glands are activated. There is, in the end, a slight metallic tang around my teeth and gums.
Throat hit and vapour production are very much dependent on your individual setup. In my case, throat hit was fairly light despite the 18mg nicotine content. Having exhaled however, I'm left with a slight rasp at the back of my throat. Vapour production has proven to be prodigious, even with the airflow holes on the Quasar almost closed. Cumulonimbus, etc.
Tark Vemada's Matador is a rich, complex, robustly flavoured e-liquid which deserves and very nearly commands considered and attentive vaping. I'm certain I've barely scratched the surface of what this juice has to offer, but the little that I've experienced has been a real pleasure and very rewarding. Any time spent in vaping and exploring Matador will be richly rewarded.

I've been vaping on some Rasputin for a few days and I'm really really enjoying it, can't get enough of those orange peel notes, not sweet, not bitter... just perfect! :clap:

Unfortunately the same cannot be said for Van Gogh, this one is in your face, super powerful and even downright abusive to your senses. Tried it on my Veritas at 0.9 ohm once, haven't had any desire whatsoever to try it again. I will force myself to try it again sometime, there has got to be something to this juice :notagain:
Shall let you know how I find Van Gogh when I get to that bottle. Rasputin I like a lot.

Back