Taste Sensitivity...

That's as may be but it still doesn't explain why vaping unlocks such extreme taste sensations in vapers. And it applies to nothing else that we eat or drink.

Not true, we do get used to certain tastes and start muting it. Personal example: I stopped drinking milk about 2 years ago, within a month of stopping drinking it, I found I couldn't handle the taste of it anymore, it tasted so off. So we definitely get used to certain tastes that we eat or drink every day, although not close to the extend that vaping does and there are probably a plethora of reasons for that, more concentrated taste, bigger coverage of taste buds, we vape a lot more than we eat (lol). Also remember that most foods we buy have a whole boat load of flavor enhancers, probably for this very reason, so that it always tastes consistent.

As for explaining why we perceive vape flavors so differently, your guess is as good as mine

This sounds like vapors tongue to me, I get it from time to time, quick solution:
2 shots whisky,
1 shot lemon juice
throw 1 shot whiskey and 1 shot lemon juice both in your mouth and swirl swirl swirl.
Spit it out when it burns too much, the second shot whiskey is to get the nasty taste outta your mouth afterwards.

This sounds like vapors tongue to me, I get it from time to time, quick solution:
2 shots whisky,
1 shot lemon juice
throw 1 shot whiskey and 1 shot lemon juice both in your mouth and swirl swirl swirl.
Spit it out when it burns too much, the second shot whiskey is to get the nasty taste outta your mouth afterwards.

Well, I think half a bottle of whisky will solve most of the taste problems. It might not make the vape taste better but you won't care so much. It has the same affect on the opposite sex though... which could lead to having to chew off your trapped arm under Sleeping Beauty(Slutty Betty) the next morning.

Well, I think half a bottle of whisky will solve most of the taste problems. It might not make the vape taste better but you won't care so much. It has the same affect on the opposite sex though... which could lead to having to chew off your trapped arm under Sleeping Beauty(Slutty Betty) the next morning.
c8d7f934831791ef6b62f30d7440e1a3.jpg

I have to laugh. Not at you, but at the wierdness of taste with different people. When my wife was pregnant she used to smell all kinds of things that weren't there. We'd be in the car and she'd pop up with 'I smell cheesecake!', and I'd have to remind her that 'honey, we're on the freeway'. Or she'd smell tacos in the bakery store. Once she swore she smelled kippers in church!

I don't know your age but I have read studies indicating that as we get older our sense of taste does diminish. After my 30+ years of smoking I don't think I taste some juice as well as others claim. To give you an example, I pretty much exclusively diy anymore and rarely buy shop juice, but last week I thought I'd treat myself, and bought this bottle of 'Wedding Crasher' juice by Sicboy, the reviews are all hysterical about how good this dripping juice is, supposed to be a carrot cake with cream cheese icing. So I tried it out on 3 different rdas known for being good flavor attys, the recoil with flavor cap being one of them. And you know, I tasted a little sweet, with the barest, barest hint of cream icing....that was it....bland, bland, bland to me. The barest whiff of any flavor! This was bottled 6 months ago, so it is steeped enough, and I believe this is a 70/30 juice. So, either I've lost some of my taste ability, or most folks just settle for store bought juice with minimal flavor, not knowing any better. (Suspect it might be a combo of the two.) As well, when I first started diy'ing, I seemed to need really strong flavors and had to up the percentages in my recipes, i don't have to do that anymore, so I've adjusted some. Hope this helps. :D

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Bit of a quandary...

I am diying, and have bought flavours...

i have yet to find a flavour that actually tastes like anything, although mint and menthol do give me the cools, and bubblegum does give me a sweet taste, and strawberries are smooth and sweet, i still have to have the taste of the actual thing...

I have tried rba's, drippers, tanks, etc... and changed mixes from 50/50 to full vg.

i can smell the concentrates in the bottles, but when i mix them in a diy, i cant really smell or taste much, i am using 2%-4% concentrates in my mixes.

i have upped and lowered my nic levels, i have tried a number of different ways of vaping....

and i still cannot seem to taste what everyone else is raving about.

does anyone have advice?
While I enjoy DIY my creations taste good enough to vape but not exactly like say Caramel Cheesecake.However as far as commercial juice goes my can't live without juice is Cassadaga Cannoli be Nuts,and Crunchy Cream lemon donut is spot on.Loaded frosted donut taste as advertised.Some devises bring the flavor more than others and for an RTA the OBS Engine is my go to.RDAs are Hadaly,PlumeVeil and Sapor.I hope you find a scratch for your vape itch.

Single flavour mixes, depending on which type you go for (i.e. CAP/TFA/CLY), etc. are typically between 5-7% (average). But once you start mixing various flavours, do not be afraid to go to 10, 15 and (gulp) 20%. Take Wayne from DIY or DIE fame, known as enyawreklaw on e-liquid-recipes, most of his recipes are >10%, almost averaging out at 15% and with Boardwalk having a 20% concentrate mixture, and this guy knows his stuff.

And steeping time is very, very important. I have personally not found a shake 'n' vape I have enjoyed even though many people have offered me recipes and I have tried a number of them as well.
Fruits - 1 to 2 week steeping, maybe even 3 (if you add any creamy flavours such as Bavarian Cream to your fruits, then go to next)
Custards/creams - 3 to 4 week steep
Tobaccos - 4 to 6 week steep
And very importantly... shake it. Every day. If you can shake it twice daily, even better. The first two weeks are the most important, after that you can shake it once every 2nd day or so. Personally I keep shaking it until the day I take it out to be vaped.

This goes to show how taste differs, I cringe whan I exceed 10% flavorings. I do at times but most of my mixes are in the 7-10 range depending on what flavor vendors I use

Sent from my HUAWEI CRR-L09 using Tapatalk

This goes to show how taste differs, I cringe whan I exceed 10% flavorings. I do at times but most of my mixes are in the 7-10 range depending on what flavor vendors I use

That vastly depends on the flavoring, but even more so how much a person can taste a flavor, if you use, for example, only FlavorArt flavors, you can get away with a very complex recipe at 7%, if you are using only TFA or CAP, 7% total flavoring for a complex recipe is probably not gonna cut it, some are potent enough at 1% and others need to be at 5%. I guess the better your palate the heavier your wallet stays lol. Although, I guess there are some that can taste taste CAP and TFA at 1% perfectly fine. Taste is so inconsistent between us all.

Hi guys, thanks! This is the kind of information and insight that i was after. When i make my next mixes, i am going to try at 8% and a 10%. And see how that goes.

Sent from my SM-A700FD using Tapatalk

Generally, what I found, is that per flavour vendor the mixes are:
TFA - 7-8% (single) 5% (mix)
CAP - 7-8% (single) 5% (mix)
FW - 7-8% (single) 5% (mix)
FA - 2-3% (single) 1% (mix)
CLY - 2-3% (single) 1% (mix)

Last edited:
I share that but it needs to be noted that not all tfa as example cam be used at 7%... tfa honey, cinnamon etc. But it is a good starting point for single flavor recipes

I absolutely agree @zandernwn. If you were to mix TFA cinnamon or honey at 7% you either need a steel mouth or lungs or both. I was more talking about the general flavours, e.g. Strawberry, Blueberry, Custards, etc. And if you use CLY Marshmallow at more than 0.5% then be prepared to have a Ghostbusters experience and CLY Cinnamon Fireball.... 2 drops per 30ml as otherwise you are looking for trouble.

DIY can be cheaper than buying, but the initial outlay and getting to understand %'s and flavours, etc., that is where the true cost lies. And lest not forget the 'missing ingredient' quandary.

Not true, we do get used to certain tastes and start muting it. Personal example: I stopped drinking milk about 2 years ago, within a month of stopping drinking it, I found I couldn't handle the taste of it anymore, it tasted so off. So we definitely get used to certain tastes that we eat or drink every day, although not close to the extend that vaping does and there are probably a plethora of reasons for that, more concentrated taste, bigger coverage of taste buds, we vape a lot more than we eat (lol). Also remember that most foods we buy have a whole boat load of flavor enhancers, probably for this very reason, so that it always tastes consistent.

As for explaining why we perceive vape flavors so differently, your guess is as good as mine

2 shots whisky,
1 shot lemon juice

Instruction not clear ... got fired for coming to work drunk

haha an not to mention the coil sodomy that cinnamon will inflict

I'm surprised you guys rate Inw as having the same potency as the US brands. My experience has been that it's on par with FA. Although I haven't used a huge range of Inw, so maybe I've had the more potent ones.

I'm surprised you guys rate Inw as having the same potency as the US brands. My experience has been that it's on par with FA. Although I haven't used a huge range of Inw, so maybe I've had the more potent ones.

I must admit, sadly so, that I have not had much experience with INW except for their Biscuit flavour (which is awesome). I am in the process of trying more of them soon as I would love to use some of their products in our range. Due to this I apologise for incorrectly stating a too high percentage and have since removed that from my comment.

It really depends on the flavor. I knock milk & honer out the water when I mix it solo(6%) I like it that way altough most would say that is extremely high

I dont think it was wrong at all. We are generalizing. 90% of flv is kak anyway.

There is no hard and fast rule for %.

The onus is on the mixer to do single flavor testing and not take everything they read as gospel.

@Hardtail1969 , just a few questions that might help the peeps on here help you :

Which specific flavourings are you referring to ?
While TFA and CAP may generally work well at around 8% to 10% for single flavours, CLY and other concentrated flavours at 10% will likely be so strong that even someone with Vapors Fatigue might 'enjoy' the nice chemical / floral taste.​

Do you have any other commercial jooses available to try as a benchmark ?
If it is it only from your DIY jooses that you get no real flavour, it might be the lowish % of the mixes that is the cause. If commercial jooses also has no taste, it might well be overloaded senses.​

Hi @Hardtail1969
I may have missed it but what flavours are you using that you cannot taste?

Mmm... pretty much all of 'em... :rofl:

Ah ok

Well then I suppose its probably as the guys mentioned on the thread - either not enough flavour - or a case of vapers tongue.

Incidentally, as Kuhlkatz asked in that post of his - do you taste any other commercial ready made juices?

Ja, may be tongue issue, but then i will know soon as i finish the rest of my eliqs and mix up a newer stronger set with 8-10% flav.

If that dont work, well then i will just try something else, but that whiskey and lemon business?

I don't ruin 12yo whiskey that way, and for sure aint going to buy some rotgut firstwatch cheap stuff either...

Ja, may be tongue issue, but then i will know soon as i finish the rest of my eliqs and mix up a newer stronger set with 8-10% flav.

If that dont work, well then i will just try something else, but that whiskey and lemon business?

I don't ruin 12yo whiskey that way, and for sure aint going to buy some rotgut firstwatch cheap stuff either...

@Hardtail1969 - can you taste commercial juices? Or also not getting taste on any of them?

You're not ruining the whisky. I would recommend at least 18yo single malt for best effectiveness.

Alternatively, use Vodka or Gin, both have the same effect.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back