Tell us something your mother taught you

How to cook rice, iron clothing and sewing... domesticated from a young age, I even stopped going #1 and #2 in the garden...

Not to take shit from anyone.

Now that I've typed it, it doesn't look right.

You know what I mean.

So many things, how can one narrow it down?

You don't get something "for" free, you get it free. The "for" is not right!

You can lose everything in life and buy it back, except your good name.

Wish I'd listened to her...

You can lose everything in life and buy it back, except your good name.

Wish I'd listened to her...

I've just told someone this! He's cheated me out of R600 by promising to fix my TV. He wanted R600 deposit to buy new LED lights (half my screen has gone black) which I gave him a month ago and since then it's been excuses, excuses. I've asked for my money back but nothing. I had promised to recommend him to others here but now... Sent him a Whatsapp yesterday telling him that he might think he's very clever because he's got R600 for nothing, but he's lost his name and future business from me and others.

Strict grammarians will tell you that "for free" is grammatically incorrect because "free" is not a noun, and this means it cannot be preceded by "for" (a preposition). In their view, something is "sold for nothing" or is "sold free." However, through common usage, "for free" has become acceptable

Something else about prepositions in the English language.

When Winston Churchill was chastised for ending a sentence with a preposition, he wittily responded.

“This is the type of errant pedantry up with which I will not put.”

I learnt how to look after myself because of my mom, and when I got into kak, she fought in my corner.

Back