The Flavour Apprentice (TFA) - Concentrate Reviews

TFA Guava
This guava has a much more darker profile than the other Guavas I have reviewed - It is not very bright and has a very timid spiciness to it. The flavor profile depict a ripe guava but almost as if it is out of season. It is not very sweet and almost watery. The texture, in contrast, is quite dry. It has a gritty texture but finer, almost powdery rather that the "crumbly" texture you would expect. I get quite a bit of rind from this one, more so than any of its peers. While I don't really get any off flavors I would mark the texture down as a negative, it is a bit too dry and powdery. It does settle after a few days on the steep, but remains prominent.

Suggested Single Flavor Use Rate: 3% - 5%
Throat hit: None

Last edited:
TFA Mango
Very much a candied Mango flavor. It is not very sweet but it does leave your lips coated with sweetness. It is a light mango flavor with hints of white peach and vanilla. I almost get a gummy tones in the background somewhere that tastes so good but does distract a bit from the profile. it has a slight stone fruit texture but i still find it to be a very linear profile.

Suggested Single Flavor Use Rate: 4%- 6%
Throat Hit: Light

TFA Blueberry Wild
Very authentic fresh blueberry flavor, in terms of taste it is perfectly balanced between the bitter rind and the light earthy white flesh - it has a very smooth texture with just a hint of earthy texture. It is a very mild flavor (As blueberries tends to be) and is one of the very rare concentrates I would recommend pushing into double digit standalone. It does tend to mute a bit on the steep so you may want to support it with another blueberry flavor.

Suggested Single Flavor Use Rate: 8 - 10%
Throat Hit: 8 - 10%

TFA Cream Soda
So this is not a Cream Soda at all - well not as we know it in South Africa (Cream Sodas flavor differs vastly in different parts of the world). I get more of a root beer flavor. with a pungent bitterness on the tail. It has a slight creaminess almost like you would get from a Coca Cola float. It not pronounced, it just a feint hint. It has a very smooth texture and just a slight chemical taste that tames on the steep. I am not a fan of this one.

Suggested Single Flavor Use rate: 6 - 8%
Throat hit: None

TFA Sweet Cereal Flakes
Tested in the Hadaly clone, 0.65Ω Ni80 simple contact coil at 25W, Cotton Bacon v2 wicks
Tested at 4%

Notes: There are two types of cereal flavours: those that can be used to buff your wooden furniture to a lustrous sheen while filling the room with the aroma of artificial astringent lemons, and then everything else. The "everything else" category has been dominated by Capella in recent times with their ubiquitously popular Cereal 27. Or, more simply, cornflakes.

TFA snuck in under the radar with the recent release of Sweet Cereal Flakes, which they describe as "A sugary corn flake cereal. Sweet and tasty just like the real deal!" Or, more simply, cornflakes with sucralose. The flavour hasn't gained much traction yet. It isn't even listed on ATF, whereas Cereal 27 already has 949 recipes to its name. That is a pity because the TFA offering is surprisingly solid. TFA earned lasting derision due to the lemony ghastliness of its Fruit Circles offerings. This one is miles better.

I get a darker note from the cereal base which makes it more akin to All Bran than cornflakes to my palate. It is a dry cereal with no milk and the texture is quite convincing and grainy. I find it a little warm for a cereal but I get the same warmth from NicVape's Tootie Frootie so it could just be a personal quirk.

The sweetening is simultaneously a blessing and a curse. The upside is that the sweetening has been really well implemented and infuses the flavour well. Sweetness level is also on point for the profile. The downside is that it limits your ability to tailor the sweetness to your liking. You can of course make it sweeter but you can't subtract. If using in a recipe with other sweet ingredients, the inherent sweetness in this could push it over the top.

The obvious use is as a near-complete base for a Frosted Flakes recipe. It does the basics of taste, texture and sweetness really well so it would mostly be a case of adding whatever milk or fruit you desire. At low levels, it could also make for an interesting texture & sweetening accent in a bakery although that bran note does strongly suggest cereal and will be tricky to conceal.

Suggested range: it registers strongly at 4% and could maybe be pushed to 5%. For an accent to complement other cereals or add just a bit of sweetening to Cereal 27, 1-2% should do.

Overall, this is a pleasing flavour. I polished off my 10ml sampler which doesn't happen often. Cereal 27 is probably still the more versatile flavour as it is unsweetened. But if you're looking for Frosted Flakes, this is a great starting point.

Butter - TFA

This is described as Movie popcorn Butter,

Does anyone have any input regarding this flavour,

Is it any good? Would it ruin a sweet creamy fruit recipe? It's intended percentage for a recipe I'm interested in is 0.4% However the recipe doesn't call for it - I just wanted to add a little buttery feel.

I've read online that it's great and that it's repulsive. I assume this is based on the kind of recipe one intends to use it in.

Any input is appreciated.

S

@Spyro I know somebody who made a toast-flavoured juice and used a butter concentrate but not sure if it was this one specifically....I hated the juice.

PS.It may not be because of the actual butter,but perhaps more so to the fact that I cannot vape a plain toast juice :-D

Butter - TFA

This is described as Movie popcorn Butter,

Does anyone have any input regarding this flavour,

Is it any good? Would it ruin a sweet creamy fruit recipe? It's intended percentage for a recipe I'm interested in is 0.4% However the recipe doesn't call for it - I just wanted to add a little buttery feel.

I've read online that it's great and that it's repulsive. I assume this is based on the kind of recipe one intends to use it in.

Any input is appreciated.

S
here it is in apple jam monster
aple jam monster 50ml gram 1.5mg
cap golden butter 2%
cap double apple 6%
rf apple jam on roust 2%
cap super sweet 1%
do ad a butter feel to it yes

here it is in apple jam monster
aple jam monster 50ml gram 1.5mg
cap golden butter 2%
cap double apple 6%
rf apple jam on roust 2%
cap super sweet 1%
do ad a butter feel to it yes

Is that not Cap? I don't see it in this recipe?

@Richio sent me some valuable info that I think needs to be posted here.

TFA Butter is loved by some and hated by others. I have used in dessert and bakery type flavours and it works well to accent that creamy buttery texture. I wouldn't go anything above 0.30% in the recipe you making as it would overtake your strawberry once it steeps.
Further reading on this flavour:

(Reddit review)

Setup

RDA/ Velocity Coil/ 6 Wrap Single Fused Kanthal Clapton 2×26 core 32 wrap W/ 45 Wicking/ Full Rayon Ω/0.26

Testing

Steep Time/3 weeks % Used/ 5 PG/VG 50/50 Nic%/0

Mouth Feel

Smooth and heavy on the tongue,and light on the nose. Not as dense as I was expecting but still up there 8 out of 10.

Throat Hit2/10

Flavor Properties

A creamy Rich smooth butter flavoring. I feel like I'm gaining weight just trying this out, the cream comes off perfectly balanced with the fat, a hint of sweetness. Definitely taste like cow's milk butter and taste like right out of the churn.

Relatable Flavors

Hello butter!!!! Doesn't come off as movie theater style butter, more of the stick of butter when would you use for baking or cooking, even reminds me of clarified butter.

Off flavors

I am truly shocked, finding no off flavors other than that lingering aftertaste, and noticed at higher wattages aftertaste gets a little worse.

Position In The Recipe

Base note or accent, this flavoring could easily be built upon, and used to Accent or push forward buttery notes in custards and cookies. I'm actually enjoying it as a standalone which is weird.

Pairings

Custard's and creams, desserts, tobacco's, coffee's, chocolates, candies, and nuts along with most Fruit and Berry flavorings.

Recipe

I definitely something fantastic coming soon, and finally found what I feel is the key ingredient.

Notes

Here is some additional information on butter, if you don't already know everything about butter go ahead and take a look along with where to find it.

http://www.bullcityvapor.com/butter-tfa/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butter

Rating 95/100

Please if your opinion differs, or you have another review for this post it in the comments. Will help the master list with multiple reviews in one spot.

Thanks for creating this thread @Spyro
Have renamed it as per our convention in this subforum - ie by manufacturer
(Instead of the flavour itself)

I see there is no existing thread for TFA Concentrate reviews - so this will be henceforth the place to put in reviews for flavours from this manufacturer

@Silver - there is this thread. I think having two TFA threads will be confusing.

Thanks @RichJB
I missed that thread :eek: - Lol.
I was pretty certain there was a TFA thread and I checked for it but couldn't see it...
I think it was not enough coffee this morning ;-)

Thanks for pointing that out. Have moved those posts to this thread now.

Back