The Serpent Mini 22 and 25 Build Thread

I prefer the 22 airflow actually. I leave my wicking ring on, in my 25

Dengit I'm going to have to swallow my socks here... Slapped the spare tank of my new SM on the injured one and bam flavour on point. Just need to pull my finger out and get some 24g Ni and do Oom Robs build. No hard feelings as everything was tongue in cheek anyway. This is a great tank and I will recommend it to anyone that wants to upgrade to building. Incedentily cleaned the top O-ring after the tank break and spit back after refills are gone, weird....

Update : I must say I am really enjoying the vape on this tank. It's true what they say each tank/build is catered towards a spesific juice and All Day Vapes Chilled Pineapple just sings in this tank. On my third refill.....

It's been a love hate relationship with the Serpent but I think it's a keeper now...
If ever I decide to get a Sm25 I'll buy extra glass and moer the tank into the wall first. Put new glass on and try it. Lol

Sent from my E2333 using Tapatalk

@Tockit LOL... Yip, I agree, smash your first glass and get it out of the way because it is inevitable from my experience and from what I have heard and read. I have 2 and this was my biggest gripe. Other than that, it's a super RTA, once you find your near perfect juice match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_2161.JPG

IMG_2160.JPG

A different but effective build on the SM 25 that I want to share.

I tried an experiment:

Kanthal 20 Ga, 3ID, 5 and a half wraps giving between O.23 and 0.25 Ohms. Play around on Steam Engine to tweak it if you want, but don't go over 7 wraps.

Initial ramp up time a tiny bit slow. But second draw and more ramps up perfect. Thick vape, spits a little to start with but goes away as the cotton settles in. 35 Watts is good enough. Close the air ring for a nice mouth to lung draw if you like that.

This thick 20 ga wire will last you weeks. Just dry burn at 30 Watts and re wick.

I am super impressed.

Let me know what you think.

The Curve mode on the Minikin V2 works quite well for nice long draws I start at 30W then drop it down to 25-26W. New build which I find works well no spit back SS 3mm ID five to six wraps just under 0.6 wick with CBV2. Also find the bow tie technique gives me more spit back so just roll straight into the holes (this time the ring stayed on). Also I fluff the cotton closer to the coil out to the sides a bit seems to wick better. Wick us loose not tight less is more they say sometimes.... Lekker smoof vape....

View attachment 79517

View attachment 79519

I tried an experiment:

Kanthal 20 Ga, 3ID, 5 and a half wraps giving between O.23 and 0.25 Ohms. Play around on Steam Engine to tweak it if you want, but don't go over 7 wraps.

Initial ramp up time a tiny bit slow. But second draw and more ramps up perfect. Thick vape, spits a little to start with but goes away as the cotton settles in. 35 Watts is good enough. Close the air ring for a nice mouth to lung draw if you like that.

This thick 20 ga wire will last you weeks. Just dry burn at 30 Watts and re wick.

I am super impressed.

Looks good @Wayne

I may give this coil a try over the weekend.

View attachment 79517

View attachment 79519

I tried an experiment:

I am super impressed.

@Waine - i thought the wicks mustn't go through the juice holes and should just touch the bottom of the juice channels. Am I mistaken? I see yours go right through!!!

I never pull my wicks through either. Just above the deck for me

@Waine - i thought the wicks mustn't go through the juice holes and should just touch the bottom of the juice channels. Am I mistaken? I see yours go right through!!!

@Silver Indeed, my wicks always go through the juice holes. Then I fluff it up nicely with the old sharp tweezers. With my "Scottish Vienna" wicks, it works like a charm. It absorbs the juice nicely allowing a good capillary action to the coil. The 20GA coils are juice hungry, so I need maximum wick absorption.

Wicking of the SM25 is not cast in stone. There are so many varying ideas, like removing the ring. I tried that and I had juice p.....g out of the air flow holes. Again, it is subjective....

Trial and error got me to this happy place on the SM25.

View attachment 79517

View attachment 79519

I tried an experiment:

I am super impressed.

WIN. I just got mine and was considering a 20g Nichrome build. Thanks for the feedback on this build of yours. Going to slap in a nice fat fatty

@Greyz remind me to hurt you when we next bump into each other at the Vape Shop... if you had just followed my instructions 8,000 pages back you would have been operational. I have spent the day trying other builds in the SM25 including Alien Claptons, Staged Claptons and a one or two other fancy coils... I just don't get the fancy coil story... the Alien Clapton nearly killed me with spit back... OMG... and having to fire at 50 watts on these coils... ripped them all out and went back to my 30 watt build of Ni80 24g, 3mm ID and 7 Wraps... Phew....

Fancy wire in tanks give me lung pains. At first I had the impression my flu was lasting very long but then I started building with normal wire again and all good now.

Claptons are dangerous IMO.

I am also not a big fan of Claptons. They do not give me a significantly better vape than good old 20, 22 or max 24 Kanthal. Not to say they are no good, it's just that they never bit me. I do like Nichrome 24 also.

I just completed my 1st serpent build using the provided coils. I also bought a pack of prebuilt 0.45ohm Fused Claptons for later, Are they better than the ones that are included in the Serpent pack?

My initial toughs are (and Im still testing around with the W) that the Clouds are awesome and the flavor is Great!! I also really enjoy its small form, there is just something (or everything) great about this little RTA!!
The only down side so far is that I have a bit of spitting, not much but still a little bit of spitting that looks like it happens on a refill? or it might be the coil or way I wickd it, Im thinking that it wont do this with the dual coil setup? do you guys also have this?

Do You prefer using the single or Double coil setup? And also how do I know what Wattage setting to user for what coil?

This is what my finished Serpent 25 looks like.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

I just completed my 1st serpent build using the provided coils. I also bought a pack of prebuilt 0.45ohm Fused Claptons for later, Are they better than the ones that are included in the Serpent pack?

My initial toughs are (and Im still testing around with the W) that the Clouds are awesome and the flavor is Great!! I also really enjoy its small form, there is just something (or everything) great about this little RTA!!
The only down side so far is that I have a bit of spitting, not much but still a little bit of spitting that looks like it happens on a refill? or it might be the coil or way I wickd it, Im thinking that it wont do this with the dual coil setup? do you guys also have this?

Do You prefer using the single or Double coil setup? And also how do I know what Wattage setting to user for what coil?

This is what my finished Serpent 25 looks like.

View attachment 79795 View attachment 79796 View attachment 79797 View attachment 79798 View attachment 79799
Nice coil

Generally the twisted wire does cause spitting.

But there has been a few normal wired coils that also spat. Could be the wicking- sometimes too much causes the spit.

I hardly get spitting , if I do it is also after the refill.

But I too love this tank.

Hi @Dietz

Way to go! Sounds like you nailed it!

A rough rule of thumb for wattage is to be somewhere around the "mech equivalent" power for the coil resistance of your coil. Power = Vsquared / R

So if you have a 0.5 ohm coil, try around 30-35 Watts and adjust a bit up or down to preference

Great stuff, keep on tinkering. You will eventually find your favourite build.

Sent from my E2333 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE). Got my SM22 from Santa on Xmas Eve and I am pleased to no end.Like others I used the Twisted coil included w/the enclosed cotton,not bad.Have since installed a S.S.26g Claptoned with ribbon wire and it is vapeing my strawberry cheesecake quite nicely. I feel the start of a good friendship.Will be following this thread with interest.

So until my serpent glasses arrive. In the interim I have converted my obs engine to somewhat of a top airflow serpent :nerd:.View attachment 76788
@Kalashnikov , I 've had the Engine for a few weeks now and got the Serpent mini a couple of days ago. I 'm in vape heaven,love them both and so will you.If I had to choose two RTAs(single and double coil) these would be the ticket. IMO

Hi @Dietz

Way to go! Sounds like you nailed it!

A rough rule of thumb for wattage is to be somewhere around the "mech equivalent" power for the coil resistance of your coil. Power = Vsquared / R

So if you have a 0.5 ohm coil, try around 30-35 Watts and adjust a bit up or down to preference
@Silver , I found your formula interesting.power=Vsquared/R is that mean divided by R?also what about ramp up time for bigger surface coils?

I am also not a big fan of Claptons. They do not give me a significantly better vape than good old 20, 22 or max 24 Kanthal. Not to say they are no good, it's just that they never bit me. I do like Nichrome 24 also.

@Waine I 've never used wire below 24g but recently got some 22g so I 'll see how that works. I mistakenly thought thick wires were more for mech's and clouds,how about flavor as that is my never ending quest.

@Silver , I found your formula interesting.power=Vsquared/R is that mean divided by R?also what about ramp up time for bigger surface coils?

Hi @kev mac , thats not my formula
Its one of ohms law's formulae for power
Thats the power that would be in a mechanical where V is the battery voltage and R is the coil resistance
It does ignore any volt drop

I have just found that the power many of us use on our regulated devices is normally quite close to the "mech equivalent" for that coil. So this power seems to be a good starting point if you dont know what power to try first. Perhaps one should start lower than this and increase from there.

As for more power with bigger surface coils, yes, i suppose thats the advantage of the preheat function on many mods, where you can apply more power initially

@Kalashnikov , I 've had the Engine for a few weeks now and got the Serpent mini a couple of days ago. I 'm in vape heaven,love them both and so will you.If I had to choose two RTAs(single and double coil) these would be the ticket. IMO
Dont forget the incredibly underrated Goblin Mini V3... only atty I run under 60w... incredible little thing. Still liking it more than the SM 25

Back