The Serpent Mini 22 and 25 Build Thread

Glad to help but why the choice of not using the ring? It helps to insure you got the right thickness. I have tried many styles. but the best has always been thicks wick just over the top. Barely in maybe like 1mm under the ring. Here is a pick of my build. Its 1 week since i wicked and the cotton still looks mint . chain vaping at 45W...

View attachment 75236

Thanks @Kalashnikov
Very useful - i will try that next time I wick

Glad to help but why the choice of not using the ring? It helps to insure you got the right thickness. I have tried many styles. but the best has always been thicks wick just over the top. Barely in maybe like 1mm under the ring. Here is a pick of my build. Its 1 week since i wicked and the cotton still looks mint . chain vaping at 45W...

View attachment 75236
That's a great looking coil please cm share your build spec....

Hi all

So , i am running my 2 Mini 25 with Clapton coils , one at 0.5 Ohms and the other at 0.7 Ohms.......

The flavor is great on both - actually doesn't differ between the 2 tanks in my opinion.

I see everyone including @Robc is running Nicrome coils so i wanted to try it , got wire , build a 3.5 mm 7 turn coil and i get a burning taste all the time and the flavor is not good at all , running anything between 25 and 35 watts........Must it be run in TC cause i pretty much run everything in Power mode.

I dont get dry hits with the Nicrome and it wicks fine - it is just the taste that doesn't seem right to me.

Any suggestions ?

That's a great looking coil please cm share your build spec....
Lol its nothing too outrageous. Took out the claptons to try something simple and its working well.
0.58 Ohm, 22Gauge Kanthal ,3.5 mm ID. 9 wraps compressed

Hi all

So , i am running my 2 Mini 25 with Clapton coils , one at 0.5 Ohms and the other at 0.7 Ohms.......

The flavor is great on both - actually doesn't differ between the 2 tanks in my opinion.

I see everyone including @Robc is running Nicrome coils so i wanted to try it , got wire , build a 3.5 mm 7 turn coil and i get a burning taste all the time and the flavor is not good at all , running anything between 25 and 35 watts........Must it be run in TC cause i pretty much run everything in Power mode.

I dont get dry hits with the Nicrome and it wicks fine - it is just the taste that doesn't seem right to me.

Any suggestions ?

Hi @morras
Not sure why you may be experiencing a change in flavour with the Nichrome wire
Either its a particular brand of wire that is letting off a taste - and maybe you could try another brand
Or it could be just that your taste buds pick up a slightly different taste with the Nichrome wire.

I think the main advantage of NI80 (at least from what I have observed) is the faster ramp up time.

What brand of Nichrome wire are you using?
Is it NI80 wire?
Have you tried with a different juice?

Time to try a fancy coil and this time it's a Staple Staggered Fused Clapton (0.3Ω) from Demon Killer.
StapleClapton 006.JPG

Had to twist the legs to fit into the slots... not a major... coils looking good and glowing from the inside out... Sweet!
StapleClapton 001.JPG StapleClapton 002.JPG

Bow Tie and trim! Boom!
StapleClapton 003.JPG StapleClapton 004.JPG

All set and ready to go... resistance came out at 0.37Ω and am firing it at between 30 and 40 watts... OMG the spit back is bad and hot! :eek: 40 watts seems to be better because it heats up quicker and the flavour is better but man this coil heats up... 30 watts it takes too long to heat up and spits like a Cobra... 35 watts seems best right now but the spitting is a major deal breaker! This is not gonna work for me. :confused:
StapleClapton 007.JPG

@Rob Fisher i hav experienced the same things with all other wire. Fused Clapton, normal claptons, in the SM25 I always get a bit of spit back and burns the tongue a bit. The way to go for me in the mini is single strand wires either ni80 or simple kanthal. That's why I like it simple to build on leave the fancy fused and stapled whatever's to my drippers

@Rob Fisher i hav experienced the same things with all other wire. Fused Clapton, normal claptons, in the SM25 I always get a bit of spit back and burns the tongue a bit. The way to go for me in the mini is single strand wires either ni80 or simple kanthal. That's why I like it simple to build on leave the fancy fused and stapled whatever's to my drippers

Yip the single coil Ni 80 coil is only about eight million time better than this fancy coil... gonna rip it out now before my tongue disintegrates!

Will try these fancy coils in one of my Petri's! ;)

Yip the single coil Ni 80 coil is only about eight million time better than this fancy coil... gonna rip it out now before my tongue disintegrates!

Will try these fancy coils in one of my Petri's! ;)
Did you perhaps prime on top of the coil and not the wicks? i find claptons spit if liquid is on them. So better to prime it and fire it a few times after priming to get the liquid inside and under the wire.

Did you perhaps prime on top of the coil and not the wicks? i find claptons spit if liquid is on them. So better to prime it and fire it a few times after priming to get the liquid inside and under the wire.

Yip I prime both... mainly on the wicks but always run a drop or two on the coil... but I persevered and it still spat hot lava at me for some time... the coil is now in the bin and a simple 3,5mm Ni 80 7 wrap coil is back in the Serpent. But thanks for the tip... will watch for that when I try them in my drippers!

Yip I prime both... mainly on the wicks but always run a drop or two on the coil... but I persevered and it still spat hot lava at me for some time... the coil is now in the bin and a simple 3,5mm Ni 80 7 wrap coil is back in the Serpent. But thanks for the tip... will watch for that when I try them in my drippers!
I think i get what you mean. Sometimes its simple builds that work best in the serpent. I have always had claptons in my serpents. But since putting 22G kanthal. Im getting much better time out of my cotton and flavour is still as good.With claptons i would wick every 2 days for not much noticeable flavour difference.

But anyway... Arent we supposed to be using the other thread ? Im also getting them mixed up posting my builds in the wrong one

For those who doubted the dischem cotton pads, here is my build using them.

No leaks, no dry hits
20161117_092315.jpg 20161117_092324.jpg 20161117_092331.jpg 20161117_092844.jpg 20161117_092901.jpg

Absolute bliss

Juiced up with VM4

Last edited by a moderator:
For those who doubted the dischem cotton pads, here is my build using them.
No leaks, no dry hits
Absolute bliss
Juiced up with VM4

Thx for that , do you do the bowtie method and cut the tops off also or just straight into the juice holes ?

Sadly my single build with CBV2 still produces spitback , annoying ... think I'm using too little cotton.
Maybe I should try this Dual build thing .....

Man that MinikinV2 is seriously upping the FOMO again .....

Thx for that , do you do the bowtie method and cut the tops off also or just straight into the juice holes ?

Sadly my single build with CBV2 still produces spitback , annoying ... think I'm using too little cotton.
Maybe I should try this Dual build thing .....

Man that MinikinV2 is seriously upping the FOMO again .....
Yes I do the bow tie- so pull the wicks through, cut them at an angle and then fluff them up.

I've learnt the spitback is definitely a case off too little wick.

@Rob Fisher

Unfortunately not, using a bag of dischem organic cotton. Not sure where to find it and plus when I walk into a vape store the last thing on my mind is cotton. Its either tank,mod,juice in that order.

And that in a nutshell is the problem... Cotton Bacon makes a MASSIVE difference to the Serpent Mini experience! Evryone who has had a leaking issue that changed to Bacon Cotton have solved thier problem.

Here are a few vendors that stock Bacon Cotton.
http://www.sirvape.co.za/products/cotton-bacon-v2
http://www.vapeking.co.za/cotton-bacon-v2.0-by-wick-n-vape-vape-king.html <- Out of stock
http://www.vaperscorner.co.za/shop/product/cotton-bacon-v2-493?category=93&search=bacon+cotton
http://vaperite.co.za/product/cotton-bacon/

And that in a nutshell is the problem... Cotton Bacon makes a MASSIVE difference to the Serpent Mini experience! Evryone who has had a leaking issue that changed to Bacon Cotton have solved thier problem.

Here are a few vendors that stock Bacon Cotton.
http://www.sirvape.co.za/products/cotton-bacon-v2
http://www.vapeking.co.za/cotton-bacon-v2.0-by-wick-n-vape-vape-king.html <- Out of stock
http://www.vaperscorner.co.za/shop/product/cotton-bacon-v2-493?category=93&search=bacon+cotton
http://vaperite.co.za/product/cotton-bacon/

Thanks Mr Fisher, will check at Vapercorners once I get the ss25.

Serpent received and wicked already within 5 min of arrival..

pic taken from a distance so overhang not so visible.

Question - the 2 25 mini's I had before the came with a shoddy allen key, this one came with the nice T-piece tool, what tool did you guys get.

upload_2016-11-17_16-0-7.png

Dual clapton 2.5 mm dual coil packed with dischem cotton. not a single dry heat or leak. I'm quite sure the previous 2 25 sm were faulty. this one seems different.

Officially a happy serpent 25 owner. next up hohm slice.

IMG_20161117_180006.jpg

View attachment 75236

Hi @Kalashnikov
What are the specs on the coil you posted above?
Gauge or wire, wraps, ID and resistance
If you can recall

Back