The Worst Thing about Disposable Pods !

Puff the Magic Dragon

Grumpy Old Vaper
LV

Awards
I am not totally opposed to disposable pods because they may just be one of the better ways to get people to stop smoking. As a grumpy old bastard I have has to come to terms with the fact that nowadays most people are happy to use products without a clue how they work. Press a button or throw a switch and the mystery box works like magic (I'm using the word magic knowing that there is no such thing as magic).

What most of us don't realise is that almost all disposable pods use rechargeable cells which will be tossed into landfills, or worse, without ever being recharged. Instead of at least using scarce and toxic resources to their limit, thereby going some way towards justifying their usage, they are used only once in a disposable pod (1 out of 500 + charges).

Take a look (subscribe) at the following Big Clive video :

This is what a 500mah lipo can cost in SA.

Screenshot 2022-01-18 105147.jpg

I have not tried a disposable thingy yet although they were suggested to me, I kind of cringe when it comes to throwing batteries and plastics out, even single use plastics now here is an electronic device designed to suck and chuck...

Went fishing at hartebeespoort dam few weeks back, put a spinner on and started casting for large mouth bass, Cast, reel in, plastic bag, rinse and repeat, every single time.

I do not like this mess we are leaving our grandkids.

I agree with what has been said and the worst thing I see out of the whole shebang is that these are so attractive to the younger generation. They are affordable and represent fun and cool. I hate that.

I am not totally opposed to disposable pods because they may just be one of the better ways to get people to stop smoking. As a grumpy old bastard I have has to come to terms with the fact that nowadays most people are happy to use products without a clue how they work. Press a button or throw a switch and the mystery box works like magic (I'm using the word magic knowing that there is no such thing as magic).

What most of us don't realise is that almost all disposable pods use rechargeable cells which will be tossed into landfills, or worse, without ever being recharged. Instead of at least using scarce and toxic resources to their limit, thereby going some way towards justifying their usage, they are used only once in a disposable pod (1 out of 500 + charges).

View attachment 248535

What do you mean "there is no such thing as magic"!?

Regards

I can't go for a walk or go shopping without seeing several used disposables just tossed on the floor usually in pieces due to someone stamping on it!

It would be responsible for stores to have a box for disposable vape dispose

Agree, but the kind of person who would throw their trash on the floor isn't likely to keep it until they come across a suitable disposable place. That's life. People are lazy.

If indeed disposables are here to stay, then I too would like to see more responsibility from vape stores ...
Ship them to either Pretoria and Wits Universities, (and maybe others too?), as they have small Pyrolysis plants, and can convert the plastics into Flamable gas, Diesel, Acetic Acid and Activated Charcoal, whilst reusing the Lithium cells for student projects ;)

Agree, but the kind of person who would throw their trash on the floor isn't likely to keep it until they come across a suitable disposable place. That's life. People are lazy.
They should explode once empty unless put in a special bin

View attachment 248535

What I learnt from that video: I'm not a vaper, I'm a fogger 8--):-D

I think it's a small miracle that we haven't had any "accidents" as yet, based on my observations in/on disposable devices I've disassembled to date :oops:
Definitely, very bad connections, super thin wires, batteries rattling around in there with those thin little wires. Maybe there is accidents nor reported? I tested a 1500 Puff about 4 months ago, I dropped it and it just kept on firing, I chucked in in a metal bin outside but unfortunately it never exploded

The sad reality is that they are gaining in popularity, to which vaping is going to / is getting a get a bad rep and will be stigmatized unless something is done to resolve the pollution and safety concerns :think:

The sad reality is that they are gaining in popularity, to which vaping is going to / is getting a get a bad rep and will be stigmatized unless something is done to resolve the pollution and safety concerns :think:
Another thing that one needs to remember is a lot of places are doing this now in preparation of the possible taxes next year. How to get people to pay less tax? Offer a solution on which the total tax would be R3 - R4. This is an assumption on my side, but I think a valid one.

Unfortunately this is not going to go away or take a back seat like many of the other things, e.g. squonking, etc. has. Squonking still has it's place and a lot of people do it, but it's not the rage it used to be. I do not think this will follow the same route though and we may see more and more of these devices creeping up.

My issue as a mixer, is that one cannot add more than 3 flavours to such a little tank. Four and you are pushing the boundries - this I was told by a reputable source. Remember, this includes sweetener and ice, so if you want to stick to three flavours, you can add only one more flavour concentrate in there after those two. Also, pods are not made for desserts and also, almost all my desserts have 5, 6, 7 or more concentrates.

Another thing that one needs to remember is a lot of places are doing this now in preparation of the possible taxes next year. How to get people to pay less tax? Offer a solution on which the total tax would be R3 - R4. This is an assumption on my side, but I think a valid one.

Unfortunately this is not going to go away or take a back seat like many of the other things, e.g. squonking, etc. has. Squonking still has it's place and a lot of people do it, but it's not the rage it used to be. I do not think this will follow the same route though and we may see more and more of these devices creeping up.

My issue as a mixer, is that one cannot add more than 3 flavours to such a little tank. Four and you are pushing the boundries - this I was told by a reputable source. Remember, this includes sweetener and ice, so if you want to stick to three flavours, you can add only one more flavour concentrate in there after those two. Also, pods are not made for desserts and also, almost all my desserts have 5, 6, 7 or more concentrates.
That is interesting information ... I had noticed that there don't seem to be any deserts available as disposables, and assumed that it was just because fruits are generally more "coil friendly"

Back