Thread torqued

Yusuf Cape Vaper

Elite Vaper
LV

Awards
Hi vapers. I have a problem. I have an old Rba lying here that I wanna fire up. Problem is I think the thread if the screw in the positive post is torqued. Is there any way to fix that up?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411040784.050125.jpg

Not to sure what you mean 'torqued' but going by your picture I think you mean the center pin is stripped, if it is stripped, you'll have to drill it out and replacing it with a new one. If your threading is the issue, then you'll need to retap the body threads and still replace the screw with something slightly bigger.

By torqued I mean stripped yes. It's just the Thread on the screw head that's stripped. Sorry if my terms are abit off lol.

Screw head does not have thread. So it's not clear now whether you mean the head (Phillips screw) is mangled or the actual thread is stripped. In such an application, very unlikely the screw thread would be stripped, it would typically be the thread in the post that gets stripped.

If the thread in the post is stripped,...you need a tap that is one size larger. So if the post screw is M2 (2mm) you would need a M2.5 tap. You need a tool shop...not the dofs at Builders Warehouse. Tool shop guys would sort it out for you.....it is so small, so easy to do, you might get lucky and the guy does it for you there, on the counter.

I think I get it. Its a hex head grub screw looking at the pic. Try some of the small flat screwdrivers in a jewelers scewdriver set. Sometimes you get lucky and you get enough grip to get the screw out. Then off to a bolt shop you go to find a replacement.

Thanks guys. Had no patience with that so got myself the legend rda today. Quite a beast. 0.3ohm build with 24g and it's hitting hard as hell

By torqued I mean stripped yes. It's just the Thread on the screw head that's stripped. Sorry if my terms are abit off lol.

No worries bud, i can kinda see that the hex head is round.

How do I drill it out, or retap the body threads as suggested?

You would need tools bud, preferable a drill press with vice/clamp to hold the piece in place, do you have access to tools?

if you do, then you would need a drill bit slightly smaller than that screw to drill it out. Once the stripped screw is out you can go about doing what @Cat said and retap new threads into the post. Replace the the stipped hex head screw with a new one that has the same 'new' threading that you have just tapped/'made'.

If you dont have access to these tools I would suggest taking it to a friend who will have, that way you get to see your friend, have a beer, vape a little, have another beer, vape some more and your RBA fixed in no time :nerd: sounds like a win to me:rock:

No worries bud, i can kinda see that the hex head is round.

You would need tools bud, preferable a drill press with vice/clamp to hold the piece in place, do you have access to tools?

if you do, then you would need a drill bit slightly smaller than that screw to drill it out. Once the stripped screw is out you can go about doing what @Cat said and retap new threads into the post. Replace the the stipped hex head screw with a new one that has the same 'new' threading that you have just tapped/'made'.

If you dont have access to these tools I would suggest taking it to a friend who will have, that way you get to see your friend, have a beer, vape a little, have another beer, vape some more and your RBA fixed in no time :nerd: sounds like a win to me:rock:
Lmao I'd swap that beer for a juice or something. But thanks for advice. Appreciate it

I've got juice, bring me beer :rofl: no worries bud, enjoy your new gear :rock:

@Yusuf Cape Vaper , you can get something generally named an easy-out. It looks like a tapered shaft with a reverse direction threading on one end and a square top that fits either a spanner or dedicated 'tap' holder on top.
It's used for removing bolts that was broken off while attempting to fasten or unscrew it. In general, you'd have to drill a hole in the shaft of the bolt, and then screw the easy-out into this hole. Due to the reverse direction of the threading, it grips inside the hole and once tight, will remove the remaining part of the shaft still stuck in the hole.

In this case, it looks like you might be able to screw it right into the stripped hex hole.
Here's a link with some decent pics : http://www.amazon.com/piece-Easy-Screw-Bolt-Extractor/dp/B0002UJNWE or just Google 'easy-out'

Any semi-decent hardware store should stock these.

Back