Throat hit from hell

Normz

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
hey guys. I'm really new to DIY(2nd month) and I have a question...

How do I get rid of the terrible throat hit from some concentrates? And how do I know which will give that hit?

I mix 3mg nic, erring on the side of less nic, never over, always about 0.5ml under what the recipe calls for, and max vg(nic is also by based) However, my chocolate donut(cap chocolate glazed doughnut, single flavor, 6%) and watermelon punch(watermelon candy, raspberry sweet and sweet lychee) both have a throat hit that takes my breath away, even after diluting the donut by about 50% with Vg. It is also only these 2 and none of my other mixes, although the only concentrate used in more than one of my mixes is the lychee, all others were experiments. They taste good, but I really can't vape them with a throat hit that would make @Silver proud

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I have no idea about the concentrates but I can tell you that my son battled with the throat hit at 3mg nic (he was about a 20/day smoker). I dropped his juice down to 1.5mg and he has been a happy camper since.
Some other guys might have something to say about the concentrates but that has been my experience with the nic.

I generally vape 3mg and never really had a problem, one or 2 harsh ones(wild side- harlequin was the pits for me), but for the most part it's been fine. Thinking about it now the worst 2 even at 3mg were harlequin( watermelon ) and Debbie does donuts( chocolate donut)

I have seen a few guys here complaining about the donuts flavor giving them a hard time, but again I mostly vape tobacco profiles so cant help you there. Maybe @Andre or @method1 or the likes could help you out better.

Thanks @GregF , hopefully I can sort this out, coz the flavor is really good

@method1 Does something special with DDD. It cannot be compared to Bronuts as they are very different. I can confirm that DDD is extremely smooth at 3mg but Bronuts on the other hand is something else at 3mg. It has been noted that Capellas Chocolate Glazed Donut is very inconsistent and some users have had problems with it being harsh whilst some have had great experience with it.

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

Yeah I found my first DDD was great, but at higher wattage I struggled where I wouldn't with other flavours. I am using cap chocolate glazed doughnut, I will edit my original post. That may be the issue I'm having

So there are my 2 culprits, too bad, coz they really good :'(

@Normz I had the same experience as you. However at 0mg they are fine but then again I need the Nic

@Normz I had the same experience as you. However at 0mg they are fine but then again I need the Nic

Exactly. Maybe just for trick juices in a fun and obnoxious build for standing at the twisp kiosk blowing huuuuge clouds XD

Edit, coz I still dunno how to post emojis

Some concentrates have really bad throat hit. Peach is a major culprit. Choc Glazed Doughnut is also bad. It could also be a bad batch of nic. I can't offer anything as I've never had harsh nic, never get pepper from TFA VBIC or White Choc, never get throat hit from Bronuts or anything else. I'm one of the lucky ones with a corrugated iron palate, nothing in vaping bothers me.

Before using a concentrate, it might be an idea to check out the review here. Most reviewers give an indication of the throat hit and you can be forewarned to stay away from the worst ones.

Can't be the nic, my other mixes are fine, it's just these 2. How I would kill for your throat of steel :( must be the concentrates, I'll just dilute them to the bare minimum now. Thanks for all the help guys

Ah, in that case I'd just avoid those flavours. It's an occupational hazard in vaping, even experienced mixers like Cokecan and skiddlz avoid certain flavours because they just can't stand the "razors in the throat" sensation. You can also try adding creams like Bavarian Cream which can sometimes reduce the harshness. I've heard that a teeny amount of FA MTS Vape Wizard can also help to cut harsh edges. But once a flavour bugs you, it will always be in the back of your mind, so probably best to just avoid.

@Normz in my experience I have found that watermelon has this nasty tendency to give a harsh throat hit, maybe try a lower percentage in your mix.

hey guys. I'm really new to DIY(2nd month) and I have a question...

How do I get rid of the terrible throat hit from some concentrates? And how do I know which will give that hit?

I mix 3mg nic, erring on the side of less nic, never over, always about 0.5ml under what the recipe calls for, and max vg(nic is also by based) However, my chocolate donut(cap chocolate glazed doughnut, single flavor, 6%) and watermelon punch(watermelon candy, raspberry sweet and sweet lychee) both have a throat hit that takes my breath away, even after diluting the donut by about 50% with Vg. It is also only these 2 and none of my other mixes, although the only concentrate used in more than one of my mixes is the lychee, all others were experiments. They taste good, but I really can't vape them with a throat hit that would make @Silver proud

Any ideas?
You could try using TFA smooth or TFA Marshmallow to smooth things out.
I find those concentrates make your juice less throaty and fuller.

I have also been out of the diy game for over a year but that used to work for me.

Maybe you are more sensitive to those flavours @Normz
I agree with what @RichJB said. I have also noticed that some juices have much more potent throat hit for me even though they have the same nic strength.
Maybe try lowering the nic to compensate - now you have me ontrigued about these flavours - hehe

I'll bring a batch of the watermelon to the vapemeet for you @Silver ;P

I have the same problem with Bronuts. Just can't vape it. I have resigned myself to the fact that I happily buy Debbie Does Donuts for that particular flavour.
Buy the way, anyone interested in the flavour concentrates for Bronuts, send me a PM. I have open and sealed bottles that I will not be using.

White Peach and Lime Tahiti Cold Pressed by FlavorArt does the same to me (there are a few more but I can't think of them off the top of my head), feels like I am vaping barbed wire. CAP Choc Glazed Donut doesn't give me any issues, apart from the meh taste hehe. Some of us are just more sensitive to certain flavors.

Don't give up on those concentrates though. When I first mixed a batch of bronuts it gave me nonuts with its harsh throat hit. A short while ago I tried again and viola, I can appreciate it now. It could be that your lungs are just not ready for it yet or that your olfactory receptors have not reset enough yet. I actually first noticed that I could handle bronuts again when I had a cold - some sinus shorted something to work again it seems.

So it seems like it's batch dependent.
Check the comments around this flavour in the "Calling All DIYers" thread here

Don't give up on those concentrates though. When I first mixed a batch of bronuts it gave me nonuts with its harsh throat hit. A short while ago I tried again and viola, I can appreciate it now. It could be that your lungs are just not ready for it yet or that your olfactory receptors have not reset enough yet. I actually first noticed that I could handle bronuts again when I had a cold - some sinus shorted something to work again it seems.
Could olfactory receptors actually interpret something as being harsh?

I've had Issues with this in the past and have figured out that it was due to my Nic ... I used to have it standing on a bookshelf but a friend suggested I keep it in the fridge and since its being kept in a fridge now I've never mixed Nic into juice and had the harshness (I'm talking vaping Chilly throat hit)

Back