Vape tax from 1 June 2023 !

Firstly, nothing was said about vaping in the Budget speech.
Secondly, this appears to apply to manufacturers. What about retailers i.e. vape shops?
Methinks this whole thing is going to be a muddle of note!
I didn't listen to the budget speech, so I cannot comment on the first. But on the second one, the tax is a once-off applied by the manufacturer but so they would need to increase their price then from say, R100 to R390 to compensate for that, so the retailer would then need to sell for R390 + their markup. Going to make juices completely unaffordable.

That is if the manufacturer is approved by SARS...

I didn't listen to the budget speech, so I cannot comment on the first. But on the second one, the tax is a once-off applied by the manufacturer but so they would need to increase their price then from say, R100 to R390 to compensate for that, so the retailer would then need to sell for R390 + their markup. Going to make juices completely unaffordable.

That is if the manufacturer is approved by SARS...

@ivc_mixer
Ahhhh I see ... I thought the retailers would be responsible for paying the tax to SARS.

What do you mean by "if the manufacturer is approved by SARS" is there a screening process for juice-makers? ??? And if so, what are the criteria?

I got an email from BlckVapour, saying vape is going to be taxed, by the first look I thought its one those "sign this petition" emails. But no, its really happening.

Any idea how this will affect us diy'ers who mix for ourselves at home?

I wonder what diy products they are going to tax and how?
Nicotine will be taxed, so if you paid R200 for 100ml, you will now pay R490 for 100ml

Imagine towards the time this happens people will be stocking up like crazy on their favorite juices.

I think the bigger stores who can stock up will do so and offer juices at pre-tax rates while they can, thus drawing more clientelle. Remember, it's only applicable from 01 June, so anything purchased before then is not subject to the tax, as it is not levied by the retailers but by the manufacturers

Do we know if this applies only to vape juices or also to the PG, VG and nicotine that we use for DIY? I may need to stock up on those supplies if it does apply.

Do we know if this applies only to vape juices or also to the PG, VG and nicotine that we use for DIY? I may need to stock up on those supplies if it does apply.
PG, VG, no. Nicotine, yes.

So 0mg should be the same as before? If so.... I'm going that route. Just hope the manufacturers make 0mg then.

One of my big gripes is this. They want to get kids to stop vaping, right? What do kids vape? 120ml/100ml/60ml bottle juices? NO. They vape disposables. What will the tax be on a disposable. R6, R9, maybe R12. That's not going to stop them. So who gets punished by this? Adults like me.

The tax is 5 times more than the cost of a bottle. Ludicrous

Wasn't there talk of a R346 cap at some stage? Which would still mean the average 120ml would cost R250 + R346.... I see a lot of one-shots on the market soon... Hopefully.

One of my big gripes is this. They want to get kids to stop vaping, right? What do kids vape? 120ml/100ml/60ml bottle juices? NO. They vape disposables. What will the tax be on a disposable. R6, R9, maybe R12. That's not going to stop them. So who gets punished by this? Adults like me.

These disposables are the reason for this tax. I knew that once vaping becomes big they are going to implement taxes and these disposables did that.
They should have banned disposables instead, it's not good for the environment anyways.

Back