What Batteries are Recommended

remember series works differently to parallel

series increase in power
parallel increase in runtime

that's what I gathered from the last battery thread I participated in with @johan

of 20Amp per battery hence the Efests being fine. Lower rated batteries might be a problem but all inferior batteries I've tried on a mod time out the chip with a low battery warning. The Board can sense when the battery cannot keep the current where it needs to be and cuts out.
This mod has the batteries in serial as far as I remember, so 20A it is whether one or two Efests. At 0.12 ohms and 60W the draw is almost 23A. That is above the safety limit of the Efest battery imo. Nothing you have said so far indicates that the mod will prevent this, in fact the OP has just said that he is vaping thus on the Efests.

that is wrong because you are looking at it from a mech mod perspective. If you apply 6v to an atomizer built on .15 Ohms you are outputting 60 watts but only drawing 16.6A per battery.

Series- voltage of batteries gets added. 2 batteries = 4.2v + 4.2v = 8.4v

Parallel- amp limit of each battery gets added and mah limit. 30A + 30A = 60A, 2500mah + 2500mah = 5000mah.

This sigelie in question is a series box. It will cut out or show a reading that says battery low if it can not handle it. It's a series regulated device. Not unregulated, so much safer imo. You'll find that building a 0.2-0.3ohm coil and blasting it at high wattages will give you great clouds :) good luck bud.

Some of my understanding was incorrect but my premise is still right. However in series the amp draw does not double it remains that of one battery. Still the OP is still safe as he is drawing 16.6A. Thanks for the discussion @Andre I found a fault in my understanding but it has been fixed now. :party:

that is wrong because you are looking at it from a mech mod perspective. If you apply 6v to an atomizer built on .15 Ohms you are outputting 60 watts but only drawing 16.6A per battery.
No, I am not looking at it from that perspective. According to http://www.steam-engine.org/ if you use volt then 6V on 0.15 ohms would give you 40A and 250W, which is even worse - barring the fact that the mod will not allow. I am just trying to get to the correct answer here.
Maybe @johan can help us out in the morning.

@Andre go to steam engine.batt subsection, choose regulated apv, choose 60w, choose .15 then see the results

also change the battery voltage to like 6 for instance because remember it is series and battery voltage doesn't have to be a maximum of 4.2 it can go double that.

@Andre go to steam engine.batt subsection, choose regulated apv, choose 60w, choose .15 then see the results
Ok, thanks, have done that. On 0.12 ohms still get 22.36A. Do, however, see that they have a "battery drain" section that gives a far lower amperage - 11.11A to be exact (they take the Efests as 35A). Not sure which is the correct one to consider in this case. I do now at least understand what you are saying, thanks. And know a lot more about this subject! With clearly more to know.

Ok, thanks, have done that. On 0.12 ohms still get 22.36A. Do, however, see that they have a "battery drain" section that gives a far lower amperage - 11.11A to be exact (they take the Efests as 35A). Not sure which is the correct one to consider in this case. I do now at least understand what you are saying, thanks. And know a lot more about this subject! With clearly more to know.
35A is the correct one to take as a Vaper. We aren't running torches or race cars to be continuous :)

series increase in power
parallel increase in runtime

that's what I gathered from the last battery thread I participated in with @johan

• Series connection increase potential (Voltage), but current (Amps) the same as for 1 battery.
  • Parallel connection increase current (Amps), but potential (Voltage) the same as for 1 battery.

Well, Vapeclub just got Smurfs in R300 for 2

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

• Series connection increase potential (Voltage), but current (Amps) the same as for 1 battery.
  • Parallel connection increase current (Amps), but potential (Voltage) the same as for 1 battery.
Thanks @johan. And what would that battery's current be at 0.12 ohms on the Sigelei 150W running at 60W?

35A is the correct one to take as a Vaper. We aren't running torches or race cars to be continuous :)
That would be contrary to all the advice I have seen so far. The 35A is pulse discharge rating and is normally measured at 1 second pulse?

Last edited:
Thanks @johan. And what would that battery's current be at 0.12 ohms on the Sigelei 150W running at 60W?

No idea Andre, as I don't know how the Sigelei internal firmware does its calculations, whether its a step down buck or sepic regulator topology. But if it does an accurate calculation the current drawn from battery should be: 22.36A
I = square root of P/R
I = square root 60/0.12
I = 22.36A

No idea Andre, as I don't know how the Sigelei internal firmware does its calculations, whether its a step down buck or sepic regulator topology. But if it does an accurate calculation the current drawn from battery should be: 22.36A
I = square root of P/R
I = square root 60/0.12
I = 22.36A
Thanks. I thought so too, but @Sprint has patiently led me to questioning this now. If I input the above on the steam-engine.org Battery drain section I get the result below. Here they differentiate between "Atomizer - what hits your topper" and "Battery drain - what taxes your battery". From this language it would appear to me that the Battery drain numbers are to be used for purposes of battery safety in a regulated mod. In this case current is shown as 15.87A for a 22A, 2500 mAh battery, which leaves ample headroom. This would mean that the setup described by the OP would also be more than safe.
Am I missing something?

94eoNwp.jpg

@Andre at the end of the day we need full technical specifications of the specific regulated mod, before we can say battery A,B or C is safe to use, as each regulated mods internal workings differs from the next. For me personally the maximum current (A) I can draw safely from a battery is more important than the so called Drain numbers (mAh). If you want to "safely" use above on-line calculator it is imperative that you know the battery in question's C-rating.

I put the above question to Baditude, the acknowledged battery expert on ECF, as follows:

We have had a question on our little South African forum, which has resulted in conflicting answers. Turning to you, if I may, for an answer please.

Member is using a Sigelei 150W at 60W on a 0.12 ohms coil with Efest 2500 batteries. It seems to be common cause that the continuous discharge rating of this Efest is 20A. Question was: Is it safe to use this Efest battery for said scenario.

Going to the Battery Drain section of steam-engine.org the current draw is shown as 22.36A under Atomizer (what hits your topper), which clearly is too high for the 20A of the Efest.
But under Battery drain (what taxes your battery) the amperage is shown as 15.87A, which seems safe for the Efest under discussion.

Which one of these answers is the best to use when considering battery safety under said scenario?

His answer:

The purple Efest 2500mAh 35 amp battery is actually only a 20 amp continuous discharge rated battery when independently tested. Please see Purple Efest Batteries Not as Advertised. Using this battery for any sub-ohm use is way over its true specification and NOT SAFE to use below 0.4 ohms.

When figuring out the amp draw of a homemade coil using the Ohms Law calculator, I use only the "continuous discharge rating", not the "pulse" rating, as pulse ratings are usually different for different manufacturers and vendors so not reliable across the board. Continuous amp ratings are an industry standard across the board.

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations

Please advice these vapers that they need to use a true 30 amp battery, which currently is only the Sony VTC 4/5 and purple Efest 2100mah 30 amp (a re-wrapped Sony vtc4). Coils should be made to at least 0.25 ohm for any battery on the market. Lower ohm coils are at user's own risk.

Your question was well packaged @Andre

And thanks for sharing - as well as Baditude's answer

I wonder if using a regulated in some way makes it a bit safer?

But i like the outcome summary advice - stick to 0.25 ohms and above - and you'll be safe with the Efest 2500 mah.

@Yiannaki made me a 0.2 ohm coil on my Doge, which I fired on the Sig 100W at about 80W. Had two Smurfs in there (in series). Its not a pleasant all day vape, just for clouds - but i think I am going to make the ohmage a bit higher - and stay safe. Regulated or not. My Reo LP hasnt gone below 0.35 and is now at 0.5. My blackbird Reo doesnt go below 0.45. All with Efest 2500 mah. So good to know i am safe on that front.

But i like the outcome summary advice - stick to 0.25 ohms and above - and you'll be safe with the Efest 2500 mah.
He actually says the Efest 2500 is not safe below 0.4 ohms, but his safety margins are very conservative, even for me.

He actually says the Efest 2500 is not safe below 0.4 ohms, but his safety margins are very conservative, even for me.

Oops, sorry, my bad
That was hiim referring to the VTC4/5 and Efest 2100mah

Does any of these high wattage devices have the batteries wired in parallel? This will allow each battery to supply half the required amps. There does not seem to be any batteries that can supply 150W on some of these mods if the batteries are connected in series.

Does any of these high wattage devices have the batteries wired in parallel? This will allow each battery to supply half the required amps. There does not seem to be any batteries that can supply 150W on some of these mods if the batteries are connected in series.
Quite a few mechanical ones (like the Dimitri), even seen one where you can switch between series and parallel, but have not seen a regulated one wired for parallel.

Last edited:
Back