What To Look For In A Mechanical Mod

BhavZ

Reonaut
VIP
LV

Awards
I am in the market for a mech mod but cannot seem to decide with all the available options.

What questions should ask myself and retailers when deciding on what mech to go with?
What are the things to look out for? E.g. bottom firing button vs side firing button

Thanks!

Side / Bottom Firing button is personal taste. Regarding the rest of mech mod, look for adjustable centre pin, reverse thread locking ring if you choose bottom firing switch and the ability to use different size batteries.

hi @BhavZ

good question, and its great to see you inquiring BEFORE buying, unlike me LOL

also good to check whether its telescopic tube or not (so for instance 18350 and 18650 mode will share the same tubing, no need to take off or add on)

Thanks guys

So for me I would prefer a side firing button and with an adjustable centre pin and does not need to be telescopic but must be able to handle all battery sizes.

What would you guys suggest?

I have an Origin mech. But personally next time i would go for a side button. I am used to having buttons on the side of things. but other wise everything @johanct said. Also consider the finish and the RBA/RDA that you will put on top...at the end of the day...looks do count...

KTS because I got one from CraftyZA and its telescopic and works great on both the Ithaka and Kayfun.

Well at the moment I have the IGO-L and would like to get a kayfun or something similar.

The mod I have been looking at is the KTS, the plain chrome one, not a fan of the gold.

Anyone have any experience with this mod?

OK I think KTS it might actually be..

You may want to consider voltage drop, although I have not checked this on any of my mods, it is worth considering it as part of the factors you evaluate.

Have been meaning to get around to measuring it on my mechs

I also thought a side button would be preferable to a bottom button but I take that back having experienced the bottom button. It's a very convenient press. And not having to rotate your mod whatsoever when you're picking it up is also a plus. As mentioned voltage drop is something to consider. Better conducting material and build rigidity equals less voltage drop. Stainless steel is what most mods are made of. Some have copper or brass contact points, which is better. Some have plated contact points, those can wear off and are less nice. Always make sure the mod you buy has battery vent holes in 350- and 650 mode.

Some very valid points there @Reinvanhardt . If all contacts are kept clean from oxidization and everything screwed in tight, irrespective of material (s/s, plated brass or copper) the voltage drop is negligible.

Been giving this a lot of thought and my criteria list I think I have finally pegged down:

1) Stainless Steel with brushed finish (hate fingerprints on my mods)
2) Must have vents for the battery
3) Must be able to take all 3 battery sizes (telescopic preferably but interchanging tubes is fine as wel)
4) Side or bottom firing pin with reverse threaded locking ring
5) Adjustable centre pin
6) Should work straight out of the box without any modification, i.e. sanding down springs or pins etc

With the list above what do you guys suggest?

P.S. I don't mind ordering from fasttech

Bottom Switch: Stainless Steel Nemesis
Side Switch: K.T.S

Both locally available

Bottom Switch: Stainless Steel Nemesis
Side Switch: K.T.S

Both locally available
I head that the build quality is not so great on the KTS, do you get any rattling from the device?

RaiVapes Launcher V2. Awesome solid mech mod.
Here

No two ways about it, that is a brilliant mod which you'll be very happy with. Just one thing to note that isn't dreadfully obvious is that 18490 to 18650 mode works telescopic but if you want to go 18350 you need to remove one the tube with the "Raivapes" logo. Have I got that right @thekeeperza?

So that would be the way to go unless you prefer another look, in which case I would go for the Private V2 from Fasttech. I have fallen in love with it.

I head that the build quality is not so great on the KTS, do you get any rattling from the device?

The K.T.S I have, has no rattling at all - It will however rattle if you don't tighten the connections like any other mech.

No two ways about it, that is a brilliant mod which you'll be very happy with. Just one thing to note that isn't dreadfully obvious is that 18490 to 18650 mode works telescopic but if you want to go 18350 you need to remove one the tube with the "Raivapes" logo. Have I got that right @thekeeperza?

So that would be the way to go unless you prefer another look, in which case I would go for the Private V2 from Fasttech. I have fallen in love with it.
Thanks for the info man, appreciate it..

Back