What's the best MTL tank?

ddk1979

All Vaped Out
LV

Awards
I only do MTL and it seems like there is a shortage of good tanks on the market, or am I mistaken ?
Any suggestions on the best MTL tank ?
Thanks

I've had the Cubis for a few months now with the 1ohm SS coils. Really nothing to complain about, it's great for MTL.
Also tried a friends Portank 4 which was also really good. I vape 12mg for a nice throat kick and close the air flow around 80-90% for a tight draw and they both do the job. Been wanting to get a protank but i'm really happy with the Cubis so far so I can't switch just yet.
In the past year i've used a nautilus mini which if you're not aware, is one of the best MTL to date and a Tron which wasn't great.

I've had the Cubis for a few months now with the 1ohm SS coils. Really nothing to complain about, it's great for MTL.
Also tried a friends Portank 4 which was also really good. I vape 12mg for a nice throat kick and close the air flow around 80-90% for a tight draw and they both do the job. Been wanting to get a protank but i'm really happy with the Cubis so far so I can't switch just yet.
In the past year i've used a nautilus mini which if you're not aware, is one of the best MTL to date and a Tron which wasn't great.

Thanks. I use 12-18mg nic for the throat hit. As everyone in the world probably knows, I'm using an evod, a nautilus mini and a twisp.
I read somewhere on the forum recently about some problems with the cubis - can't remember if it was a leaking or spitting issue.
I was thinking of buying a Pico kit at VapeCon and was concerned whether the Melo mini would be good for MTL.

I love the Merlin. Killer deck to work on and the thing just runs like clockwork.

Kayfun V3 mini.
Thinking of adding the V5 to my collection too.

Hold it, hold it, hold it..... is that a tank where I have to become involved in DIY? o_O
If so then you better start evacuating South Africa right now. :ambulance: When it comes to DIY, I have 10 broken fingers. :D
@RichJB Honestly guys, DIY is not my friend so commercial coils are the answer.

In that case, scratch what I said about the Merlin. No commercial coils for it, DIY only.

HRH and I MTL comfortably on the Melo3 - a smaller bore driptip also helps.

Great news about the melo, that means the pico kit is still good to go.
Smaller bore driptips - that's what I'm waiting for - is it in the post yet :)

Hold it, hold it, hold it..... is that a tank where I have to become involved in DIY? o_O
If so then you better start evacuating South Africa right now. :ambulance: When it comes to DIY, I have 10 broken fingers. :D
@RichJB Honestly guys, DIY is not my friend so commercial coils are the answer.

Yes it is, Im cheap when it comes to forking out R50 for a coil every week, money that could be better spent on juice. :)

Yes it is, Im cheap when it comes to forking out R50 for a coil every week, money that could be better spent on juice. :)

I fully agree with the financial aspects. The best that I can hope for if it comes to DIY is to be able to buy premade coils that I can just screw in ... thank god I can at least use a screwdriver. :sweating:
But it would have to be a decent MTL tank.

I like this thread, thanks for starting it @ddk1979

@Andre, on the Melo3, are you adjusting the airflow control to the tightest?
Commercial coils or a RBA of sorts?
What power?

I tried tightening the airflow as tight as it goes and using a thin drip tip
For me its still quite loosish, a bit too loose for my liking
Am using the stock coil that came with it - the higher resistance one - i think the 0.6 ohm

I can speak from personal experience being a MTL vaper during the day at the office as it doesn't attract the crowds etc. I use the Aspire Nautilus X tank for MTL. It is an awesome tank for its purpose and the coils last me 2 - 2.5 weeks... Good flavour at 20w and that means the battery also lasts at low wattage. The only downside of the tank is the non-replaceable drip tip, but I have learned to live with it and there is no issues...
Honestly one of my Top 3 tanks I've ever bought.

What power?

Am using the stock coil that came with it - the higher resistance one - i think the 0.6 ohm
I use the ECR head (rebuildable), but currently have the 0.3 ohm stock coil in there. Vaping at around 22 W. AFC about halfway.
HRH uses the 0.9 ohm cCell coil unit at around 15 W with AFC about 3/4 closed.

The old Nautilus Mini if they can still be found... otherwise we have these two new tanks... the Nautilus X and the Vaporesso Guardian tanks.
MTL 001.JPG

The Nautilus X also gives a great MTL vape.

I can speak from personal experience being a MTL vaper during the day at the office as it doesn't attract the crowds etc. I use the Aspire Nautilus X tank for MTL. It is an awesome tank for its purpose and the coils last me 2 - 2.5 weeks... Good flavour at 20w and that means the battery also lasts at low wattage. The only downside of the tank is the non-replaceable drip tip, but I have learned to live with it and there is no issues...
Honestly one of my Top 3 tanks I've ever bought.

Thanks @Silent Echo and @Boktiet

I viewed some vids of PBursado on youtube and he also stated that the Nautilus X is a very good MTL tank. I think he also mentioned a Kabuki somewhere.

Last edited:
The old Nautilus Mini if they can still be found... otherwise we have these two new tanks... the Nautilus X and the Vaporesso Guardian tanks.
View attachment 63337

Agree that the Nautilus mini is a good MTL tank. Very few of them are still available and they are getting real scarce in SA.
Does the Vaporesso Guardian tank also take the new cCell coils which fit into the Melo (that you love so much) ?

What power?

@Silver , how is it compared to the evod ?
Intend buying the pico kit at vapecon, but you've got me a little worried.

Btw, how is the evod1 vs evod2 ?

@Silver , how is it compared to the evod ?
Intend buying the pico kit at vapecon, but you've got me a little worried.

Btw, how is the evod1 vs evod2 ?

Hi @ddk1979

Melo3Mini vs Evod1 (for me)

M3M is more intense and has quite a bit more airflow than the very tight Evod1. To me the M3M is better suited as a restricted lung hit with longish draws. Bear in mind I have only tried the supplied 0.6 ohm coil, not the lower one, the rebuildable head or the cCell. I see Andre above is using it as a mouth to lung with other coils. I suspect Andre and his HRH has a bit more preference or leeway for a slightly looser draw on MTL. I on the other hand like a tighter draw for MTL.

There is no question that the vape in the M3M is good and there is lots more vaporisation going on than the Evod1. Its just not a very tight draw thats all. As a result, i put 18mg in the Evod1 but thats too high for me in the M3M. I have about 12mg in the M3M and its still quite strong - but then again I am doing restricted lung hits, not MTL.

Coil and power wise, Evod1 has a 1.8 ohm stock silica Kanger coil and vaping at about 7Watts. M3M has the 0.6 ohm stock coil and vaping at about 30Watts. So no comparison in the type of vape really. M3M guzzles juice and its capacity of juice at about 2ml means the juice goes very quickly. My Evod1 lasts MUCH longer.

I use the Evod1 for mild toots first thing in the morning and for out and about. It would not be a workhorse vape for me during the day. The M3M is a better vape overall, its just not tight enough for me to be a great MTL. But i am not upset, am using it in restrictive lung hit mode.

Hope that helps

As for the Evod1 vs Evod2. I havent experimented much with the Evod2. I think i tried it at a store once or twice. I think it has dual coils and a looser draw if i recall correctly.

Hi @ddk1979

Melo3Mini vs Evod1 (for me)

M3M is more intense and has quite a bit more airflow than the very tight Evod1. To me the M3M is better suited as a restricted lung hit with longish draws. Bear in mind I have only tried the supplied 0.6 ohm coil, not the lower one, the rebuildable head or the cCell. I see Andre above is using it as a mouth to lung with other coils. I suspect Andre and his HRH has a bit more preference or leeway for a slightly looser draw on MTL. I on the other hand like a tighter draw for MTL.

There is no question that the vape in the M3M is good and there is lots more vaporisation going on than the Evod1. Its just not a very tight draw thats all. As a result, i put 18mg in the Evod1 but thats too high for me in the M3M. I have about 12mg in the M3M and its still quite strong - but then again I am doing restricted lung hits, not MTL.

Coil and power wise, Evod1 has a 1.8 ohm stock silica Kanger coil and vaping at about 7Watts. M3M has the 0.6 ohm stock coil and vaping at about 30Watts. So no comparison in the type of vape really. M3M guzzles juice and its capacity of juice at about 2ml means the juice goes very quickly. My Evod1 lasts MUCH longer.

I use the Evod1 for mild toots first thing in the morning and for out and about. It would not be a workhorse vape for me during the day. The M3M is a better vape overall, its just not tight enough for me to be a great MTL. But i am not upset, am using it in restrictive lung hit mode.

Hope that helps

As for the Evod1 vs Evod2. I havent experimented much with the Evod2. I think i tried it at a store once or twice. I think it has dual coils and a looser draw if i recall correctly.

Thanks @Silver , as always your comments are comprehensive, informative and often thought provoking.

You are a real asset to this forum. Greatly appreciate your comments and advice, and especially your patience with noobs like myself.
To me, you are the most valuable member on this forum because you have really given me a helping hand on my vaping journey.

@Lingogrey was the first person who really helped me with good advice when I joined the forum and so he too deserves a very big thank you for his much appreciated assistance.

Back