Xcube 2 - Damaged - No Power

snowman123

New Vaper
LV

Awards
With all of the bells and whistles on the Smok Xcube 2, it certainly stood out as a mod that I needed to have in my collection. Bought the device in November 2015, used it moderately at around 40 watts maximum and during December this is were everything went wrong.

I had the device in its off state resting on a table with brand new Tesiyi 40AH batteries inside. Being a tech, I could smell some burning silicone. Initially, I thought my air conditioner at home was about to fry, but as I got closer to the mod, I could see smoke and the burning smell got stronger. I immediately tried to remove the batteries which at this stage seemed to be extremely hot, so hot that I had to grab a cloth to remove them then leave them outside. These batteries held up really well, I was honestly expecting them to explode at this point!

The mod in all its glory was completely damaged. No power, no display, completely dead.

After complaining about the problem to Smok, I was asked to provide a detailed write up of the problem and to supply them with videos and pictures for a replacement. Besides me, other international users have been having this issue.

Have a look a the images attached. Failure area are the mosfets (small black components highlighted in red rectangle). Having the experience and tools to do the repair isn't enough to repair this pcb. The foil tracks are so thin that they cannot survive component replacement and break off easily. The cause of this problem I would limit to a combination of poor quality components, poor quality lead free solder and possibly eliquid residue that seeps in through the 510 mod connector.

Waiting for a replacement mod from Smok. For those of you that have this mod, please use with caution and be vigilant for any signs of overheating/smoke issues etc.

Attachments

• IMG_20160104_192235.jpg
    IMG_20160104_192235.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 62
With all of the bells and whistles on the Smok Xcube 2, it certainly stood out as a mod that I needed to have in my collection. Bought the device in November 2015, used it moderately at around 40 watts maximum and during December this is were everything went wrong.

I had the device in its off state resting on a table with brand new Tesiyi 40AH batteries inside. Being a tech, I could smell some burning silicone. Initially, I thought my air conditioner at home was about to fry, but as I got closer to the mod, I could see smoke and the burning smell got stronger. I immediately tried to remove the batteries which at this stage seemed to be extremely hot, so hot that I had to grab a cloth to remove them then leave them outside. These batteries held up really well, I was honestly expecting them to explode at this point!

The mod in all its glory was completely damaged. No power, no display, completely dead.

After complaining about the problem to Smok, I was asked to provide a detailed write up of the problem and to supply them with videos and pictures for a replacement. Besides me, other international users have been having this issue.

Have a look a the images attached. Failure area are the mosfets (small black components highlighted in red rectangle). Having the experience and tools to do the repair isn't enough to repair this pcb. The foil tracks are so thin that they cannot survive component replacement and break off easily. The cause of this problem I would limit to a combination of poor quality components, poor quality lead free solder and possibly eliquid residue that seeps in through the 510 mod connector.

Waiting for a replacement mod from Smok. For those of you that have this mod, please use with caution and be vigilant for any signs of overheating/smoke issues etc.
Thanks for that. That is really dissapointing.
It infuriates me when we spend our hard earned income on a mod that becomes an expensive paperweight because of cheap components and cost cutting on the manufacturing side.

Don't get me wrong, this is an excellent mod. The features and advance settings give you total control on the device. I honestly don't think that Smok did proper testing before releasing this mod taking into consideration high humidity levels, high temperatures etc. in international countries like S.A for example and the eliquid leakage issue. Waiting to see how good their customer service is. Waiting for a week now.

Don't get me wrong, this is an excellent mod. The features and advance settings give you total control on the device. I honestly don't think that Smok did proper testing before releasing this mod taking into consideration high humidity levels, high temperatures etc. in international countries like S.A for example and the eliquid leakage issue. Waiting to see how good their customer service is. Waiting for a week now.
I have no doubt that you love the mod, but from november to now and the thing is in that state worries me.
What if you were enjoying a vape and it did that in your hand?

I have no doubt that you love the mod, but from november to now and the thing is in that state worries me.
What if you were enjoying a vape and it did that in your hand?
Those Tesiyi 40AH batteries....Seen reviews of them tested being only around 25Amp...MHO, If they can lie about rating....they can lie about quality...Do some research about those bat's...I don't trust the quality from what I've seen.

But as per your description...Looks like component on the device failure...

Those Tesiyi 40AH batteries....Seen reviews of them tested being only around 25Amp...MHO, If they can lie about rating....they can lie about quality...Do some research about those bat's...I don't trust the quality from what I've seen.
I dont trust them either. I have a suspicion that their first batch is solid and decent so that the testers like Mooch can give them high ratings and then the quality slowly starts to drop and deteriorate as sales pick up. Thats just my opinion though.

The safety of this mod is questionable. Normally in any electronic switching device using mosfets there are high speed switching diodes and a fast blow fuse which ruptures open circuit before meltdown or major damage. Didn't seem to happen in this mod. I think if I had left the batteries in and not noticed the burning smell, more than likely there would have been an explosion of some sort. Never had such a serious failure on any mods before. Will give the Smok products a miss in future. Don't want to cross my fingers each time I hit the fire button!

I personally don't like these Tesiyi batteries. They seem to discharge really quickly compared to other brands like AWR. Just had them lying around and I generally keep about 3 to 4 sets of batteries that I carry around to prevent strain from charging/discharging. But I must say, the true test was when the device failed. The batteries held up well from a safety perspective. Maybe not the best performing battery, but definitely a safe battery.

Sorry to hear of your experience @snowman123, fortunately it wasn't worse than what it was. I've heard of Smok's just randomly venting way too often. I owned a Smok mod that was faulty, all I'm going to say is that I personally will never touch that brand again when it comes to anything electronic, their tanks on the other hand are pretty awesome.

I know this is a little bit late, but the same thing happened to me. Except I was using the Smok X Cube Mini. It had been only a month old and then poof... the thing went started smoking by its self. I tried contacting Vape Shop but never received a reply from them. So eventually I just opened up myself and found the black cable leading from the negative side of the battery to be dangling there inside the casing, and I made sure to not tug on anything when disassembling. So once again great quality Smok. So now I'm looking to get myself a new one but still can't make up my mind. l will post some pictures as well.
IMG_7886.JPG

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Xcube mini. This confirms the issue of quality control with Smok mods. I stay away completely from Smok mods entirely however some of the tanks are good. Normally I enjoy a bit of a challenge with precision electronic component level repairs however Smok products just don't allow for this. Everything from the PCB to the components is just the worst quality I have ever seen.

Back