Yihi SXmini PUREMAX Reviewed by SessionDrummer

SessionDrummer

The SteamCrave Guy
LV

Awards
1. Lede.jpg

As a rule, I don't use, or review PODS and have turned down quite a few request to review them. David from SXmini hit me up, and asked if I was interested, and I was hesitant, until he started explaining some of the features. Buckboost, Temp Control (w./ Dry Hit Protection), and their PURE tech, which oscillated the power rate(s) to allow for better flavor production across the spectrum. Well, now I HAD to try it out, as this did NOT seem like a standard low-tech, throw away Pod.

**SX Mini Pure Max Specs**

* Size: 94x26x19mm
* Battery: 1050mAh (internal)
* Display: LED indicators
* Pure Temperature Control – Anti Burn
* Output: 12-20W (4.5-5.5V)
* Type C USB charging – 1A charge rate
* Resistance range: 0.6-1.2ohm
* Capacity: 4ml
* Pods: Fixed coil (SS316L) replaceable pods
* Chipset: YiHi SX303J
* Side fill
* Auto draw
* Adjustable airflow

**What's Included:**

* 1 x PureMax Pod
* 1 x 0.8ohm PX20 Cartridge
* 1 x USB-C cable
* 1 x User manual

Some of the interesting features ....

2. PowerPresets.png

3. Yihi Chipset.png

4. PureFlavor.png

Well let's get INTO this one ......

5. Box.jpg

6. Box Side.jpg

7. Box Display.jpg

They included the PUREMAX, (1) 0.6 ohm Pod, USB-C charging cable, User's Manual, and PURE spec. sheet ...

8. Box Contents.jpg

The User's Manual was very good, as always from the SXmini Team ...

9. User Manual.jpg

10. Manual 1.jpg

11 Manual 2.jpg

The "Pure Card" as I called it, filled in some more of the blanks ...

12. Pure Tech.jpg

Including info on the Presets, which varied by Pod ...

13. Pure Power Presets.jpg

David also threw in some extra Pods (0.6 ohm, 0.8 ohm) ....

14. Carts Front.jpg

15. Carts Back.jpg

The PUREMAX .....

16. Front Full.jpg

I left the info sticker on for some of the pics, and the controls were clear, easy to use and simple. Power button, and airflow slide ....

* 3 clicks -- Turn unit On/Off
* Press and hold once turned on to select one of the 4 Power Presets

17. Controls.jpg

USB-C charging on the bottom .....

18. Charging Port.jpg

Looking closer at the battery revealed some of the trademark attention to detail .....

19. Battery Closeup 1.jpg

20. Battery Closeup 2.jpg

21. Battery Closeup 3.jpg

Moving onto the Pod, which was cleanly laid out, easy to read with min/max fill lines, and specs. The side fill rubber plug is also visible ....

22. Pod Front.jpg

Keying on the sides kept the alignment correct .....

23. Pod Side.jpg

Power, and airflow ports on the bottom ....

24. Pod Bottom.jpg

Attachments

• 1699834574900.jpeg
    1699834574900.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 3
Slightly flattened 510 drip tip. YES, you can use your own too !!!!

25 Tip Closeup.jpg

Double o-ring'ed, and keyed .....

27. Tip Keyed.jpg

It was very hard to get a shot of it, but the SS mesh coil is/was visible .....

28. Coil.jpg

Back of the Pod with the filler plug visible again ....

29. Fill Port Side.jpg

Easy to remove .....

30. Fill Port Open.jpg

And easy to fill with any needle tipped bottle .....

31. Filling.jpg

Filled and ready to go ....

32. Filled.jpg

Power pins and keyed slots for easy insertion ....

33. Power Connections.jpg

When inserted, it was very snug, with no wobble ....

34. Priming.jpg

The LED's were very bright, and showed charging level, charged level (while using), and Power Presets (when selecting). They also chased when the Pod was inserted ....

35. Topping Off.jpg

The airflow slider was snug, but easy to move. Down fully open (Restricted Direct To Lung) .....

36. Airlow Open.jpg

And fully closed (fairly tight MTL) .....

37. Airflow Closed.jpg

**Testing / Usage:**

Because I've turned down numerous offers to review Pods, and not being a huge fan OF them, I was not sure what to expect. David made a compelling case for the PUREMAX, citing the Temp Control, Anti Dry-Hit, Power Presets, and the PURE power oscillation. Throughout my extended tests using RDTL, and MTL it performed very well. I tested the Anti Dry-Hit quite a few times, and sure enough, when not filled, or running empty, it did it's thing, and NO dry hits. As the charge ran down, it did a pretty seamless job of handling the power, and it was hardly noticeable. The airflow ranged from a somewhat restricted DTL, to a pretty tight MTL. The draw firing also worked perfectly, with only a very short sizzle when you stopped drawing on it.

When David contacted me, he WAS pretty excited about it, and encouraged me to throw some COMPLEX juices at it. Well, hehe, I DID. I torture tested it with one of my ADV's at 70v/30p, which has creams, custards, bakeries, and some fruit, and I was actually shocked. It did a pretty damned good job reproducing the flavors. I don't think I've ever had a Pod do much of anything with that type of juice. Wow, color me shocked. It wasn't fully up to the level of my daily driver SteamCrave, but it was getting closer. No leaking, and I switched over to MTL with my 14mg fruit only ADV running 50v/50p, and it had no problems with it either. I closed the airflow all the way off (still some airflow), and dammit, worked fine as a pretty tight MTL as well. At one point I think I had 4 pods floating around the lab and I was bouncing back and forth, trying to muck it up, and I couldn't. Even though this WAS sent for this review, I can honestly say I see what David was excited.

**Pros:**

* 4ml capacity
* Leak free
* Able to run 70v/30p no problem
* Airflow ranged from fairly restricted DTL to fairly tight MTL
* Easy controls
* Bright, multi-function LED's
* 510 drip tip compatible (bring your own if you want)
* Draw firing (no fire button)
* USB-C charging
* Did quite good with complex creamery/bakery juices
* Anti Dry-Firing
* 3 or 4 Power Presets (different depending on Pod installed)

**Cons:**

* Average battery life
* Not 100% flavor reproduction (nit-pick, it's a Pod !!!)
* Tinted tank can be hard(er) to see juice levels
* Slight sizzle after stopping draw (nit-pick)
* A little too restricted on the DTL (but, it's a Pod !!)

**Conclusion:**

Wow, wow, and MORE wow. Let me drop this disclaimer again. I am NOT a huge fan of Pods, have barely used many of them, and cannot directly compare the PUREMAX to them, as I have not used many. BUT, with that said, it just figures that the SXmini team would figure out how to take a "Pod" to the next level. The PUREMAX although not completely mimicking my SteamCraves, it was getting close(r). I was surprised by the amount of creamy-ness, and some mouthfeel that I got from the PUREMAX with my ADV, no other way to say it. I can only assume that the PURE tech's buckboost had something to do with this. My biggest nit-pick (yeah, I know, it's a Pod dude), would be that it was a little too restricted for my tastes on the DTL, but I emptied 4 tanks, and it didn't slow me down.

I don't think it would replace any of my SteamCraves, BUT, there ARE times where I wished I'd had a smaller, leak-free (the SteamCraves are NOT leak-free) setup, and having one that could DTL in a pinch (albeit RDTL), and run a solid MTL as well, is/was just another bonus.

38. Final.jpg

**BREAKING NEWS [We interrupt your normally scheduled Review]!!!!!!!**

Yes, of COURSE I did ..................

38a. Comparison.jpg

SIDE BY SIDE COMPARISON. I know, just a little theatrics for you guys. YES, after I was shocked at how good the flavors WERE, especially with my cream/bakery heavy ADV, I did run side by side comparisons. NO, the PUREMAX wasn't as good as the SteamCrave RDTA Supreme. BUT, dammit, hehe, it did a pretty good job, and with my limited Pod experience, FAR better than any other Pod I've ever tried before. The PUREMAX seemed a bit "cleaner" than my SC, and it reproduced most of my ADV's profiles, but for SOME of the heavy creamy-ness, and some of the lower, bottom end notes. Pretty impressive, and only doing SBS could I really check that.

**[Back to your normally scheduled Review]**

In conclusion, OF the conclusion, this was a smart, intelligent Pod designed by the SXmini team, and it had far more P's than C's, and if you are even remotely on the fence, or even like myself, "Pods, who uses Pods ??", then you might be surprised, as I know I was.

I've been really busy lately with all of the new flavor releases, and still have more in the queue, and I'm sure you guys are busy as well, so I appreciate you taking the time to read this review, and if you HAVE made it ALL the way down here, I again, salute you.

**Linkage:** *Limited Availability Currently*

**Colors:**

39 Colors.png

**Bonus Shots for the Faithful:**

40 Bonus 1.jpg

41. Bonus 2.jpg

43. Bonus 3.jpg

44. Bonus 4.jpg

45.Bonus 5.jpg

S.D.

Attachments

• 26. Pod and Tip.jpg
    26. Pod and Tip.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 4
Awesome detailed review as always!!!

now this is a pod i could get behind and such a win that its refillable and not a throwaway!

Awesome review, I myself hate pods because they are flimsy cheap money grabs. But this could find its way into my collection for my fishing trips!

Awesome review, I myself hate pods because they are flimsy cheap money grabs. But this could find its way into my collection for my fishing trips!
this could be my kids sports events/school events/work functions mod...

I just got one question. The anti dry hit business. Does it kick in if the juice level falls below the min. mark or can you still use the pod as long as the wick and coils are saturated.
My question stems from the fact that when I have workrobatics during the day and when I might be in bed after said day of workrobatics and there is still ample juice in, but the Pod is just basically in an odd position and still saturated, will it stop firing or will the device still work when I drop it down to saturate the coils now and then?

this could be my kids sports events/school events/work functions mod...
Very agreed @Paul33. I did compare it directly to my SteamCrave, and while not up to that level, it was surprisingly good for what it was, and more than good enough for a portable, leak free option.

I just got one question. The anti dry hit business. Does it kick in if the juice level falls below the min. mark or can you still use the pod as long as the wick and coils are saturated.
My question stems from the fact that when I have workrobatics during the day and when I might be in bed after said day of workrobatics and there is still ample juice in, but the Pod is just basically in an odd position and still saturated, will it stop firing or will the device still work when I drop it down to saturate the coils now and then?
PERFECT question @Resistance. I was a NON believer, and I tested it numerous times.

It has nothing to do with the min/max lines, and all about if there is juice in the coil, and, if you are drawing on it.

I inserted a new tank/pod, and took some drags, and it would NOT fire. Filling tank/pod to the MAX, ran it bone dry, and near the very bottom, it started altering how much power was going to the coil as it was drying out, then as the coil did dry out, it stopped firing. Worked flawlessly.

@Paul33, @Resistance, @Munro31 I have a question for you guys. I post these reviews on numerous sites, and many handle images differently. I actually REDUCED the higher res images, trying to get them so they didn't appear TOO big here on ECIGSSA. Are they still too big, not big enough, just right ??

PERFECT question @Resistance. I was a NON believer, and I tested it numerous times.

It has nothing to do with the min/max lines, and all about if there is juice in the coil, and, if you are drawing on it.

I inserted a new tank/pod, and took some drags, and it would NOT fire. Filling tank/pod to the MAX, ran it bone dry, and near the very bottom, it started altering how much power was going to the coil as it was drying out, then as the coil did dry out, it stopped firing. Worked flawlessly.
OK that's great. I burnt through many coils with juice still in the pod

E

Exactly and it does look cheap!!!
I wonder how cheap it will be and if it will come here?

I would love it if these things came with a rebuild kit with mesh coils and strips of cotton etc.

then they would be perfect. I mainly avoid them because I refuse to buy coils and pods etc for whatever price when i can rewick a coil in my rta with a R100 tub of cotton that lasts for 3 months.

I would love it if these things came with a rebuild kit with mesh coils and strips of cotton etc.

then they would be perfect. I mainly avoid them because I refuse to buy coils and pods etc for whatever price when i can rewick a coil in my rta with a R100 tub of cotton that lasts for 3 months.
I agree, but "convenience" has always been a premium!

Point taken. Even if the coils can be replaced at a later stage.
That would be nice.

@Paul33 I couldn't agree more.

Posting a (rare) 21 day follow up on the Yihi SXmini PUREMAX. I've been using it daily for 3 weeks since posting the review, and it's continued to impress. I have been rotating 5 different Pods with everything from Custards/Bakeries, to Fruits, a Chocolate, and even a Cereal flavor, and believe it or not, the Pods are still running fine. I think the Custard and Choco ones might be ready to be replaced, but overall, I was VERY surprised to get that type of life out of the coils. The unit has fallen, been dropped, charged/re-charged, and run dry numerous times, without issues, or any real damage to the unit. Despite being fairly heavily abused/used, it's shown little signs of wear.

20231203_134511.jpg

20231203_134507.jpg

Posting a (rare) 21 day follow up on the Yihi SXmini PUREMAX. I've been using it daily for 3 weeks since posting the review, and it's continued to impress. I have been rotating 5 different Pods with everything from Custards/Bakeries, to Fruits, a Chocolate, and even a Cereal flavor, and believe it or not, the Pods are still running fine. I think the Custard and Choco ones might be ready to be replaced, but overall, I was VERY surprised to get that type of life out of the coils. The unit has fallen, been dropped, charged/re-charged, and run dry numerous times, without issues, or any real damage to the unit. Despite being fairly heavily abused/used, it's shown little signs of wear.

View attachment 280096

View attachment 280097
3 weeks out of a coil is good going!

View attachment 280096

View attachment 280097
I'm starting to think I need this!

Back