Bellus RBA

New build on the Bellus

IMG_20151121_205847.jpg

IMG_20151121_205911.jpg

6 wrap triple twisted 32g @0.36 Ohm dual coils

Wicked with Cotton Bacon V2

Really wanna get a Bellus but can't decide between it and the Goblin mini since I've wanted a Goblin mini for some time now..:sweating:

I measured the Bellus inner and outer airholes just as an idle curiosity.
The inner hole is oval and measures 4.6mm by 2mm giving an area of 8.31mm².
The outer 16 holes are each 1mm in diameter, meaning 1 outer hole is 0.79mm².
So basically 10.5, lets round it off to 11, of the outer holes is equal in area to the oval inner hole... for what it's worth.
Those 5 extra holes basically just change the sound of the intake manifold. :)

bellus air.jpg

Hi guys

I bought myself a Bellus a couple days ago and I'm really enjoying it so far. The only problem I'm having is the leaking issue. The first time I filled it it didn't leak at all but the 2nd and 3rd times it did :/

The 3rd time I filled it I managed to have no juice leak out of the air holes, however the weird thing is juice leaked out of the mouth piece when I turned it upside down (before opening the air holes). I can swear I didn't accidentally get any juice down the channel when filling it. Does this happen to you guys as well or does it only leak out of the air holes?

Thanks!

99.9% of all my vaping is straight lung hits and I find the air flow on the Bellus just a little to restrictive. Has anyone drilled the airflow holes bigger and did it improve the airflow?

Can someone please post a pic of their wicking ? Im getting top flavour and minimal leakage but i can't get it to stop crackling. :worried:

Hi guys

I bought myself a Bellus a couple days ago and I'm really enjoying it so far. The only problem I'm having is the leaking issue. The first time I filled it it didn't leak at all but the 2nd and 3rd times it did :/

The 3rd time I filled it I managed to have no juice leak out of the air holes, however the weird thing is juice leaked out of the mouth piece when I turned it upside down (before opening the air holes). I can swear I didn't accidentally get any juice down the channel when filling it. Does this happen to you guys as well or does it only leak out of the air holes?

Thanks!
Hi @remydp

I've been experimenting with different scenarios while filling this tank and had the following experiences:
Air holes open while filling = leaking through air holes
Turning tank upside down before opening air holes = leaking through mouth piece
Inhaling on tank, with air holes closed, before firing mod = leaking through air holes

The most consistent method I found to prevent leaks is simply to make sure that the bottom ring is tight and the air holes are closed. Before opening the air holes also make sure that the top part is tight.

Also, I found that if you fill it all the way to the top then there's a little leaking but not so much. Hope this helps.

Hi @remydp

I've been experimenting with different scenarios while filling this tank and had the following experiences:
Air holes open while filling = leaking through air holes
Turning tank upside down before opening air holes = leaking through mouth piece
Inhaling on tank, with air holes closed, before firing mod = leaking through air holes

The most consistent method I found to prevent leaks is simply to make sure that the bottom ring is tight and the air holes are closed. Before opening the air holes also make sure that the top part is tight.

Also, I found that if you fill it all the way to the top then there's a little leaking but not so much. Hope this helps.

Thanks @AnArKi,

I thought I was doing something really wrong since it was coming through the mouth piece. I'll try filling it to the brim next time, hopefully that will reduce the leaking.

The first time I filled it and it didn't leak I was using juice in a little squeeze bottle so I filled the tank relatively quickly. The subsequent fills I was using a juice with a dripper glass (not sure of the correct terminology). Perhaps the speed at which it fills makes a difference?

Thanks for the tip!

Thanks @AnArKi,

I thought I was doing something really wrong since it was coming through the mouth piece. I'll try filling it to the brim next time, hopefully that will reduce the leaking.

The first time I filled it and it didn't leak I was using juice in a little squeeze bottle so I filled the tank relatively quickly. The subsequent fills I was using a juice with a dripper glass (not sure of the correct terminology). Perhaps the speed at which it fills makes a difference?

Thanks for the tip!
Hi @remydp
I meant to say don't fill it all the way to the top otherwise there will be a little leaking. I think it's got to something to do with the pressure. Strangely enough I've had a similar experience wrt squeeze bottles and droppers (?).

Hi @remydp
I meant to say don't fill it all the way to the top otherwise there will be a little leaking. I think it's got to something to do with the pressure. Strangely enough I've had a similar experience wrt squeeze bottles and droppers (?).

Ah, sorry I misunderstood. I didn't fill it all the way to the top so filling it all the way wasn't my problem unfortunately. Oh well, I'll also play around and see if I can figure out what works best. Trial and error :)

I'll use juice in a squeeze bottle on the next fill and see if there's a difference.

I have tried everything. It is very inconsistent. I just fill from the bottom. No leaks plus I can check up on everything.

Can someone please post a pic of their wicking ? Im getting top flavour and minimal leakage but i can't get it to stop crackling. :worried:

Im running mine with an iTaste SVD so its a dual compressed 2.5mm ID at 1.85 ohms.
It seems to me that a vacuum is needed at the tank top to stop leaking much like the Kayfun 3.1, but as you know the bell cap stops on the ridge leaving 4 monster juice channels.
IMO if these channels arent blocked with wick then its going to leak.
If the cap is removed then there is no vacuum holding back the juice and it rises easily up to the oval airhole opposite the coil.
Most wick tuts Ive seen cut the wick next to the posts, which IMO is too short and they therefore dont block off the rising juice levels effectively.
This was my 1st wicking which is on the sparse side at the channel mouth, and I will be leaving it a bit longer on next rewick.
IMG_3122.JPG

If I tilt the tank at an angle I get leaks once I open up the air ring again, so I have to keep it vertical for the refill operation.

My coils dont crackle/pop because theres no inter loop spacing.
Thats 3 days on VM Legends Dean, a dark sweet juice and there looks to be quite some more life left in them.
These wicks were fluffed up but that doesnt really help when theyre higher than the airhole for stopping leaks, although its great for no dry hits.

IMG_3120.JPG

99.9% of all my vaping is straight lung hits and I find the air flow on the Bellus just a little to restrictive. Has anyone drilled the airflow holes bigger and did it improve the airflow?

Id be very leery of opening up those inner airholes, at the mo I can already see the wick edges, that only leaves above and below the coil in the middle of the oval.
Enlarging below the coil is going to create more frequent leak opportunities, or constant dribbling at worse case scenario.
Enlarging above the coil might work, but it also might detour the air flow over the top of the coil and result in much weaker flavour/clouds.
Closing down the outer air flow ring will not resolve either of these 2 problems if they occur.

I contemplated it in the beginning and subsequebtly have had to sit on my hands to stop them from picking up the dremel again. :)
I also contemplated using a tiny grinding stone in the dremel to radius the outer sharp edge on the inner airhole for smoother airflow...my hands seem to have an indentation that looks very much like the Lee label on the back pocket. :)

Had to rewick my Bellus, was getting rather dirty after a week and a half of use, flavor was still spot on, but my OCD compels me! :D
2.5mm ID 7 spaced wraps 26G SS 316L giving 0.23 Ohms.
The pics explain the rest.
Cut the cotton thick so theres some resistance when threading it. Then cut the tails so they go about half way down the juice channels, when juiced up. Tuck them in lightly, assemble, fill and vape! Havent had a leak since I use this method, always top fill, and have forgotten air holes open, still no leaks.

OMG I dropped it now it says atomizer too low :sweating:

Attachments

• 20151203_180659[1].jpg
    20151203_180659[1].jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 79
OMG I dropped it now it says atomizer too low :sweating:

You've got a full short where you dinged the outer threaded rim up against the center positive battery contact.
Perhaps pulling out the center pin and skillfully levering with a screwdriver shaft against the dent might help panelbeat it back into shape.
Fortunately your protected mod is telling you something is wrong, if you'd had a mechanical mod it would have kept on firing into a dead short. :(

PS. A voltmeter on the resistance scale will also help to see if you've fixed it, there should be no reading between the outer shell and center pin with no coil attached.

You've got a full short where you dinged the outer threaded rim up against the center positive battery contact.
Perhaps pulling out the center pin and skillfully levering with a screwdriver shaft against the dent might help panelbeat it back into shape.
Fortunately your protected mod is telling you something is wrong, if you'd had a mechanical mod it would have kept on firing into a dead short. :(

PS. A voltmeter on the resistance scale will also help to see if you've fixed it, there should be no reading between the outer shell and center pin with no coil attached.

Thanks for that. Managed to bend it back a bit with some pliers. Thought it was wrecked and it's just a few days old.:whew:

Just wanted to pipe in here and post this Grimmgreen video. I have been wicking like he does from the very beginning and I get no leaks. I sometimes leave the airflow open when filling and still no leaks(luckily). I see a lot of posts all over about the leaking and it is pretty tricky getting it right if you have ti find out for yourself but I do it exactly like he does and its totally fine for me.

I hope it helps some of you guys out.

Here is the video

My Bellus rewick using the sushi roll method. Im running it on an Itaste SVD using one coil of a 2.5mm ID. I use the blanking plug in the kit.
I use a 30mm long x 7mm wide strip of japanese KGD, fibers running in the length of the cotton.
Juice tastes even better when the cotton was a free gift. :)
free.JPG

Roll the cotton and pull it through, it should overfill the vertical juice channels. Next I cut the cotton ends at a 45deg angle like you'd do to a plant stem. The longer fibers touch the deck surface at the back, the shorters ones are at the front. My reasoning is that the exposed fiber area to the juice is much larger than if just trimmed level and floating 2mm above the deck.

Now once you've pre-juiced the cotton and slid the bell cap back down it tends to fluff out the ends into the juice well like in the below pic.

_MG_3198.JPG

Heres a closer look at the cotton action. I'd pulled of the cap for pics after puffing through a tank. :)
I dont get any crackle/pop like previously, although that wick was on the loose side, however it has a tasty sizzling sound and best of all no dribbling juice through the air port.
IMG_3199.JPG

My Bellus rewick using the sushi roll method. Im running it on an Itaste SVD using one coil of a 2.5mm ID. I use the blanking plug in the kit.
I use a 30mm long x 7mm wide strip of japanese KGD, fibers running in the length of the cotton.
Juice tastes even better when the cotton was a free gift. :)
View attachment 40818

Roll the cotton and pull it through, it should overfill the vertical juice channels. Next I cut the cotton ends at a 45deg angle like you'd do to a plant stem. The longer fibers touch the deck surface at the back, the shorters ones are at the front. My reasoning is that the exposed fiber area to the juice is much larger than if just trimmed level and floating 2mm above the deck.

Now once you've pre-juiced the cotton and slid the bell cap back down it tends to fluff out the ends into the juice well like in the below pic.

View attachment 40819

Heres a closer look at the cotton action. I'd pulled of the cap for pics after puffing through a tank. :)
I dont get any crackle/pop like previously, although that wick was on the loose side, however it has a tasty sizzling sound and best of all no dribbling juice through the air port.
View attachment 40824
Great photos @blujeenz, those close up macro shots really show off the detail on that insect leg in the last pic :p

Back