Calling all DIY'ers

I have a question that has been bothering me for a while. I have searched and not really had any solid answers. Maybe you guys can help.

Mixing.......
I don't believe in the frothing type mixing but rather a good shake or even better still a nice gentle rotary mix.
Frothing I believe does mess with the nic and just aerates everything too much.

Steeping......
Leave the juice for a week or so and give it a shake everyday. (besides all the warm water, ultrasonic etc methods)

So my question is what would happen if the juice is continuously mixed for that steep period, in the bottle, cap on, slowly, no aggressive shaking, just slowly going around.
Would it decrease the steep time?
Or does it just save you from remembering to shake them everyday?:)

I have exactly the same question.
Thanks

Hi @Andre , I just want to get some clarification regarding weigh/volume. Do I understand this correctly that 1ml = 1g ? I want to start mixing by weight.

Thanks in advance.

I am no expert but to my knowledge it is better to work on 1ml = 1.036g, especially when mixing larger volumes.

Did a variation from the Bronuts recipe to get to this. I call it RazzBizz.

Capture.PNG

Hi @Andre , I just want to get some clarification regarding weigh/volume. Do I understand this correctly that 1ml = 1g ? I want to start mixing by weight.

Thanks in advance.
Not exactly, but for concentrates that is what most people use. It is more than close enough.

For VG, PG, and PG (or VG) nic however, as they make up most of your mix it is important to use exact weights. I can set my software calculator exactly.

VG: 1.26 grams per ml
PG: 1.038 grams per ml
100 mg PG nic: 1.035 grams per ml
36 mg PG nic: 1.036992 grams per ml

Here is a good article on mixing by weight: https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/comments/2iq3km/botboy141_guide_to_mixing_by_weight/

Not exactly, but for concentrates that is what most people use. It is more than close enough.

For VG, PG, and PG (or VG) nic however, as they make up most of your mix it is important to use exact weights. I can set my software calculator exactly.

VG: 1.26 grams per ml
PG: 1.038 grams per ml
100 mg PG nic: 1.035 grams per ml
36 mg PG nic: 1.036992 grams per ml

Here is a good article on mixing by weight: https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/comments/2iq3km/botboy141_guide_to_mixing_by_weight/
Thanks @Andre , I'll have read

I am no expert but to my knowledge it is better to work on 1ml = 1.036g, especially when mixing larger volumes.
More than good enough for PG and most concentrates as they are in PG, but not for VG - see above.

Flu keeping me inactive. Cannot taste much, but can still mix. Productive morning. @Slick reminded me that I have not yet mixed Rhodonite.

Eytn5gS.jpg

Torrone? If anything works well withe Torrone, please let me know. I adore Nougat... the "finer" the better.

I have a question that has been bothering me for a while. I have searched and not really had any solid answers. Maybe you guys can help.

Mixing.......
I don't believe in the frothing type mixing but rather a good shake or even better still a nice gentle rotary mix.
Frothing I believe does mess with the nic and just aerates everything too much.

Steeping......
Leave the juice for a week or so and give it a shake everyday. (besides all the warm water, ultrasonic etc methods)

So my question is what would happen if the juice is continuously mixed for that steep period, in the bottle, cap on, slowly, no aggressive shaking, just slowly going around.
Would it decrease the steep time?
Or does it just save you from remembering to shake them everyday?:)

I have exactly the same question.
Thanks
Lol, do not think you are going to get a definitive answer. So, whatever works for you.

After I have done some research decided to follow the path which suits me: I shake it well in the closed bottle after I have put in all the ingredients. Into the cupboard. I believe in at least a week's curing. If the juice is only good directly after mixing for a few days and not after curing, I do not want that juice. I shake the bottles once a day, if I remember. If I do not, no real harm done imo. Bear in mind that I use a 40PG/60VG ratio. The higher the VG, the longer the curing time should be.

Lol, do not think you are going to get a definitive answer. So, whatever works for you.

After I have done some research decided to follow the path which suits me: I shake it well in the closed bottle after I have put in all the ingredients. Into the cupboard. I believe in at least a week's curing. If the juice is only good directly after mixing for a few days and not after curing, I do not want that juice. I shake the bottles once a day, if I remember. If I do not, no real harm done imo. Bear in mind that I use a 40PG/60VG ratio. The higher the VG, the longer the curing time should be.

Thought as much but had to ask.
The thing is I have had some juice going around on a Rotisserie that I put together and it seemed to work, but It might have just been my optimism that made me think it was working.
Anyway the next step is to put some heat around it, not too much, wouldn't want to burn the meat >:).
Spit braaid ejuice........

This is what I had on there by the way

Dark Vapour (FA) - 0.75%
Anise (FA) - 0.2%
Vanilla Toffee (Clyrolinx) - 2%
Bourbon (Clyrolinx) - 2%

The bourbon and the dark vapour softens over time. The anise cuts the dark vapour a bit as well.
I must admit I am not a huge dark vapour fan. This is not too bad, not great but not too bad.

I have not found even shaking everyday making any difference so I just mix, shake and then in the dark cupboard for at least a week.End of story. One does feel a lot more impatient when making new mixes but with this method it does not get to me anymore.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

BTW. ... @Andre what is Rhodonite and what recipe did you use?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

I have not found even shaking everyday making any difference so I just mix, shake and then in the dark cupboard for at least a week.End of story. One does feel a lot more impatient when making new mixes but with this method it does not get to me anymore.
Yeah, I have a sneaky suspicion you are right, but gives my an excuse to look at my creations from time to time!
BTW. ... @Andre what is Rhodonite and what recipe did you use?
Here you go @RezaD: http://www.ecigssa.co.za/posts/315603/ I left out the Yellow Cake.

Thought as much but had to ask.
The thing is I have had some juice going around on a Rotisserie that I put together and it seemed to work, but It might have just been my optimism that made me think it was working.
Anyway the next step is to put some heat around it, not too much, wouldn't want to burn the meat >:).
Spit braaid ejuice........
Steeping without agitation (but after initial mixing) is always better. The compounds you are trying to form (mostly esters) are relatively easy to break apart with slight energy increase (from agitation), and take some time to reach a decent equilibrium. Btw, its the same type of compounds which form in aged wine, whiskey and brandy... which also is damaged by agitation. Imagine a wooden whiskey cask with a rotary inside...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Steeping without agitation (but after initial mixing) is always better. The compounds you are trying to form (mostly esters) are relatively easy to break apart with slight energy increase (from agitation), and take some time to reach a decent equilibrium. Btw, its the same type of compounds which form in aged wine, whiskey and brandy... which also is damaged by agitation. Imagine a wooden whiskey cask with a rotary inside...

Thanks @Ezekiel that does make sense but then again it does mean that the best thing to do would be to let the juice sit after final mixing, no shaking every now and then.

In your opinion can you over mix? I dint think so.

I must say I too also just give my juices a good shake up after mixing. Followed by a 15min bath in warm water. This soak helps make the mix thinner and easier to shake. I then give them a good shake and forget about them. I always intend on shaking them everyday but forget. Only occasionally shaking when I remember. I'm going to try not doing a daily shake of the mixes I make today. So just mix, shake, soak and final shake.

I'm very good at forgetting juices. I found a banana cream I attempted in a drawer at work on Saturday . Only the Lord knows why it was there and for how long lol

Last edited:
I think that shaking vigorously day 1, followed by mild shaking every (second) day thereafter is the best. A shake each day just keeps it well mixed, which is important especially when considering the high viscosity of VG. Shaking each day also prevents aggregation, which is particularly prevalent when using a nic-in-VG base or an otherwise high VG mix. I dont expect that youll generate enough energy by just shaking a bit each day to break all the esters you've formed - once they have bonded they are actually quite stable, its just getting to that state in the first place isn't easy.

Take note that certain concentrates needs to breathe somewhat, in order to get rid of some volatiles (such as alcohol, which is sometimes used during extractions or synthesis). VBIC I always feel is necessary to breathe a little bit - I leave these open for a few hours, or if I want to be safe, just open it for a minute each day for a week. Leaving juices open for long periods of time have the risk of denaturing some of your other flavours, or oxidizing your nic.

Practically speaking, Ive had the most success by giving a new juice a proper shake upon mixing, then mildly shaking/swirling each day for the first few days (usually together with tasting) and then (unintentionally) forgetting about it. After another week or so there are often new promising notes present.

I dont think anybody has to worry about overnixing - I just dont think permanently mixing (through automatic methods) whilst steeping will work, like practically any other speed-steeping method. Again, like the fine liquor industry, time is the only king.

@Andre I tried the Raspberry Eton mess recipe you found. I subbed one ingredient; can't recall just now. I also added TFA Sweet Raspberry at 2% along with the INW Raspberry. Not bad after a 2 week steep. I certainly prefer the INW raspberry to the TFA, but together they gel together quite well. @Ernest, Have you tried the INW yet? I remember you saying you want to give it a shot.

No, I've had to go on some medication and it's altering my taste, so I've stayed away from anything new. I still have some samples just sitting there, because I cannot trust my taste at the moment.

Back