Silvers Kayfun Experience

Thanks for your detailed views on the Kayfun tanks @Silver, reading them has made me feel good about my recent purchase. Having had my arm twisted by @Akash and @Scouse45 I will be the proud owner of a KF5 very soon :D

Pleasure @Greyz
Just so you know, the KF5 is still a restricted lung hit even when wide open
Nowhere near the airflow of the usual tanks, eg Serpent Mini 25 etc

I am not going to highjack this thread with a clone but all I can say is this is my new favourite tank. And I have tried most of the hyped commercial tanks. Well worth investing in the original the draw and flavour is perfect and no leaks if you remember to close the jfc when refilling

Thats awesome @KB_314
is that the Kayfun V5 or the V3 Mini?
Thanks @Silver - yep V5. I'm enjoying the tank and seem to be getting great flavor from a super build. I'm worried I won't be able to match it afterwards though :)
But there is a simpler Ni200 build that sounds interesting for a re-attempt at TC after this one.
I think I may need to check the deck and re-tighten things - I noticed today that the vape seemed a bit warmer, and looks like my resistance was jumping around a bit (higher than it should be). Probably just need to tighten the screws or assemble/re-assemble.

Thanks @Silver - yep V5. I'm enjoying the tank and seem to be getting great flavor from a super build. I'm worried I won't be able to match it afterwards though :)
But there is a simpler Ni200 build that sounds interesting for a re-attempt at TC after this one.
I think I may need to check the deck and re-tighten things - I noticed today that the vape seemed a bit warmer, and looks like my resistance was jumping around a bit (higher than it should be). Probably just need to tighten the screws or assemble/re-assemble.
Just check that the 510 screw is tight before opening the Tank @KB_314

Ok another attempt at the Kayfun V3 Mini

My last build started gurgling after a while.

So I built a new coil. Still 28g Ka but made it 2.5mm this time and made it a bit higher. 7wraps. 1.2 ohms. Wasn't the neatest. Lol.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1494098856.100857.jpg

Next the wicking. Went back to CB2. Tried to cut it so it touches the deck. More cotton though than a 2mm ID coil. First wick I realised i forgot to pulse and check the coil. So had to redo the wick.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1494098972.466625.jpg

Juice up the wick

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1494099024.089976.jpg

I opened the juice flow only 1.5 turns. Thanks for the tip of opening less when using 50/50 juice. It's my diluted blackbird in there

And voila !

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1494099094.176090.jpg

It's Vaping very nicely. And I made the airflow nice and tight. Tasting very good. No signs of gurgling yet. I am quite chuffed but not counting my chickens just yet. The gurgling started on the last build after about a tank and a half.

Let's see.

So far so good and the Mini V3 is alive and well on the cute Pico. They go so well together.

And...

As of this morning, the Kayfun Mini V3 is starting to gurgle slightly again.
Sigh :(

I am not sure if its the coil, the wick or the juice. Maybe the Blackbird mix is clogging up the wick (it does that) and maybe juice droplets are falling down the airhole. Who knows. But it is tiring. And certainly frustrating.

I will probably try again with a different juice - maybe a strong fruity menthol - only problem is that for MTL I really do only like strong tobaccoes. Maybe I must try another tobacco juice....

So the plot thickens....

Have been doing some reading on various sites, reddit and ecf - regarding gurgling on the Kayfun V3 Mini

Seems that when the airflow is made quite tight it does suffer some gurgling. Several people have gotten a special plastic airflow screw which they say helps to stop the gurgling. Doubt I am going to be able to get one of those easily.

Anyway, another guy recommended to turn it upside down and blow into the driptip. I did that before but did it again, they also said one should only open the juice flow while the tank is upside down. Did that too.

Other folk emphasised that the coil must be sitting quite high up and to make sure there are no stray pieces of wick near the deck where the airflow hole is, otherwise it will lead the juice into the hole. And make gurgling worse. I wasnt going to rebuild or rewick yet.

Then i decided to open the airflow slightly. Its not as tight as i would like it, but the gurgling went away.

It was working fine for a few hours today, then a bit of a gurgle returned.

Tiring, but I will persevere. I think i need to build another coil and do the wicking very carefully. Before I lose hope, i always remember how long it took me to perfect the wicking on the Lemo1. @BumbleBee and several others helped me with that and it took ages. But when I got it right it was just epic.

The story will likely continue soon...

PS - in the meantime, the Kayfun V5 is humming along very nicely without any problems

So the plot thickens....

Have been doing some reading on various sites, reddit and ecf - regarding gurgling on the Kayfun V3 Mini

Seems that when the airflow is made quite tight it does suffer some gurgling. Several people have gotten a special plastic airflow screw which they say helps to stop the gurgling. Doubt I am going to be able to get one of those easily.

Anyway, another guy recommended to turn it upside down and blow into the driptip. I did that before but did it again, they also said one should only open the juice flow while the tank is upside down. Did that too.

Other folk emphasised that the coil must be sitting quite high up and to make sure there are no stray pieces of wick near the deck where the airflow hole is, otherwise it will lead the juice into the hole. And make gurgling worse. I wasnt going to rebuild or rewick yet.

Then i decided to open the airflow slightly. Its not as tight as i would like it, but the gurgling went away.

It was working fine for a few hours today, then a bit of a gurgle returned.

Tiring, but I will persevere. I think i need to build another coil and do the wicking very carefully. Before I lose hope, i always remember how long it took me to perfect the wicking on the Lemo1. @BumbleBee and several others helped me with that and it took ages. But when I got it right it was just epic.

The story will likely continue soon...

PS - in the meantime, the Kayfun V5 is humming along very nicely without any problems
@Silver, try a build like the one you have in there now. 2.5mm using a 26g wire. This will bring your resistance down so will need slightly higher wattage but it will give you more surface area. It sounds like your current build is wicking slightly faster than your coil can vaporise the juice.

Maybe switching to a 60VG juice would help on your current build?

@Silver, try a build like the one you have in there now. 2.5mm using a 26g wire. This will bring your resistance down so will need slightly higher wattage but it will give you more surface area. It sounds like your current build is wicking slightly faster than your coil can vaporise the juice.

Maybe switching to a 60VG juice would help on your current build?

Many thanks @BumbleBee - that is an option - to use thicker wire to get more surface area to speed up the vaporising. Or to use thicker juice to reduce wicking speed.

But you know me, i like my thinner gauge wire for more crispness. I think i will rather opt next for reduced wicking and go back to 2mm ID. (Am on 2.5mm ID now.) maybe with my knowledge now that will work better. I had 2mm for my first build but i think i was opening the juice flow way too much in my noobness on this tank.

I did have another look at Busardo's KFV3 mini video and toward the end he did mention that he got a bit of gurgling once and turned down the juice flow a bit. So i have turned down my juice flow to just one full turn instead of 1.5 - and it does seem to be a bit better.

The pity is that i can feel this tank has such awesome MTL potential. The flavour is very good.

Many thanks @BumbleBee - that is an option - to use thicker wire to get more surface area to speed up the vaporising. Or to use thicker juice to reduce wicking speed.

But you know me, i like my thinner gauge wire for more crispness. I think i will rather opt next for reduced wicking and go back to 2mm ID. (Am on 2.5mm ID now.) maybe with my knowledge now that will work better. I had 2mm for my first build but i think i was opening the juice flow way too much in my noobness on this tank.

I did have another look at Busardo's KFV3 mini video and toward the end he did mention that he got a bit of gurgling once and turned down the juice flow a bit. So i have turned down my juice flow to just one full turn instead of 1.5 - and it does seem to be a bit better.

The pity is that i can feel this tank has such awesome MTL potential. The flavour is very good.
Lol yeah, turning down the JFC might just do the trick, it didn't even occur to me... I need more coffee :wasntme:

@Silver, I don't use anything thinner then 26AWG fir 2.5mm ID. Be it kanthal, SS or Ni80.
90% of my coils are 2.5mm.
My latest kayfun build which preformes just as well as the micro alien is a dual 26AWG inner with 38 AWG outer.
IMG-20170505-WA0050.jpeg

@KB_314 and @Schnappie how are your experiences thus far?
@Christos its been perfect imo. Struggled initially with wicking but now its my daily driver. In fact was so happy with the flavour I barely used the hadaly anymore. Also played with some 22g haywire and normal 26g nichrome. At the moment I have @RiaanRed 's Nano clapton in here, had to remove a wrap to fit it but the flavour is sublime. No leaks or dry hits at the moment so very happy with the clone

Rewicked the KF5 and am pleased to report it continues working flawlessly. Great flavour. No leaking. Superb as a restrictive lung hit machine.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1494529306.966841.jpg

The V3 Mini is still not right. Will get to it still...

Rewicked the KF5 and am pleased to report it continues working flawlessly. Great flavour. No leaking. Superb as a restrictive lung hit machine.

View attachment 94329

The V3 Mini is still not right. Will get to it still...
Rewicked the v5 this evening and it's going strong!
Must add that my other tanks and even one of my reos is getting less attention.
The v5 is now used daily.
I do get slightly more flavour from an OL16 and reo running the same juice but the v5 gives it a fuller taste more body with no sharp tones.

Rewicked the v5 this evening and it's going strong!
Must add that my other tanks and even one of my reos is getting less attention.
The v5 is now used daily.
I do get slightly more flavour from an OL16 and reo running the same juice but the v5 gives it a fuller taste more body with not sp sharp tones.

I agree @Christos
The KF5 for me gives a nice rich, slightly wetter taste and i agree its not as sharp (my comparison is the Lemo1 though)

The part I like about it is that it has been extremely reliable so far.

It could do with slightly more tank capacity, but not a problem at my wattage and economy level

I agree @Christos
The KF5 for me gives a nice rich, slightly wetter taste and i agree its not as sharp (my comparison is the Lemo1 though)

The part I like about it is that it has been extremely reliable so far.

It could do with slightly more tank capacity, but not a problem at my wattage and economy level
I'm refilling the kayfun about 3 times a day with a rewick every 2 days.
It is highly reliable and also leaking is non existent.
I do get mild condensation on the mod around the airholes but nothing serious.
The condensation is almost non existent compared to other tanks I've used.

@KB_314 and @Schnappie how are your experiences thus far?
So far it's been great. A lot better than expected. I barely use RTA's but haven't put this tank down since getting it. Have only tested two juices so far but the flavor is excellent using both. Not the intensity of a Hadaly, but still impressive. Tbh it's already seen more use than my Hadaly which I've had for a lot longer.
Good machining and tight tolerances - I enjoy opening and closing the juice control just because of how smoothly it turns. I like being able to align the logo engraving with whatever I want. No leaking. Occasionally a slight "sweat" around the air slots but a quick dab of twirled tissue sorts it out. But that is seriously nit-picking because some wouldn't even notice it.
I'm busy picking out a new dress for the K5 atm :D

So far it's been great. A lot better than expected. I barely use RTA's but haven't put this tank down since getting it. Have only tested two juices so far but the flavor is excellent using both. Not the intensity of a Hadaly, but still impressive. Tbh it's already seen more use than my Hadaly which I've had for a lot longer.
Good machining and tight tolerances - I enjoy opening and closing the juice control just because of how smoothly it turns. I like being able to align the logo engraving with whatever I want. No leaking. Occasionally a slight "sweat" around the air slots but a quick dab of twirled tissue sorts it out. But that is seriously nit-picking because some wouldn't even notice it.
I'm busy picking out a new dress for the K5 atm :D
The bell cap for the v5 is lovely as seen in the background. ..
20170427_201717.jpg

I'm refilling the kayfun about 3 times a day with a rewick every 2 days.
It is highly reliable and also leaking is non existent.
I do get mild condensation on the mod around the airholes but nothing serious.
The condensation is almost non existent compared to other tanks I've used.
Hadn't read your post yet but looks like we're having a similar experience. Awesome tank. Won't be selling this one.

It is very pretty. I'm torn between your one, and the tower tank (steam tuners) though. Rough week, so I'll make a decision over the weekend.
images (84).jpg
Ohhh so pretty.
I want the steam tuners one now but it will require another kayfun...

P.s @KB_314 the one I have is a plastic composite. I have knocked thy mod with the kayfun over twice and no breakage :D
I prefer the steam tuners one but it doesn't appeal to my clumsiness.

Back