Advice needed - What mod to buy.

Ian_F

New Vaper
LV

Awards
I'm 8 weeks into this whole vape thing, and I would say that I'm hooked. With the car no longer needing any more mods, and well into the build, i have some spare cash that needs spending.

However, if you asked me what mod to buy for your car, I'm pretty sure I'd be able to help you out, but not this vape thing. I'm so lost.

I currently have a iStick Pico with a Melo3 Mini, but I want more... more flavour, more clouds.

The tank I have my eye on should be here in a couple of weeks, so I need a mod to match it up to.

What should I be looking at? Suggestions, helpful advice, will all be appreciated ...

TIA

I'm 8 weeks into this whole vape thing, and I would say that I'm hooked. With the car no longer needing any more mods, and well into the build, i have some spare cash that needs spending.

However, if you asked me what mod to buy for your car, I'm pretty sure I'd be able to help you out, but not this vape thing. I'm so lost.

I currently have a iStick Pico with a Melo3 Mini, but I want more... more flavour, more clouds.

The tank I have my eye on should be here in a couple of weeks, so I need a mod to match it up to.

What should I be looking at? Suggestions, helpful advice, will all be appreciated ...

TIA
Without knowing what tank is on the way, impossible to say what mod would be needed for it.
Its like asking me what cam you need without mentioning the engine and its state of tune.

You see, i'm already learning. Waiting for a Merlin Mini to be delivered.
Correct me if Im wrong but it looks like a 24mm dia tank for MTL style vaping, comes with 2 different decks and airhole inserts?
That rules out the iStick Pico, only takes a 22mm tank.
You dont need to go OTT with 200w devices, 150w should suffice and that puts you in the range of the older Asmodus Minikin V1.5.
A lot of mods will have a slight overhang which is something you need to research, ie check out youtube for reviews etc.
Also consider the hand feel of the mod seeing as its something which is going to be inhand a lot.

Something else to consider is that most mods dont include batteries and you usually need 2 for the higher powered devices.

An exception is the Hohm Slice 101W with included 26650 batt, it has all the bells and whistles regards functions.
http://www.sirvape.co.za/products/n...ition-mod-by-hohm-tech-includes-26650-battery

Its also advisable to get an external charger which adds on to the initial purchase too.

Sounds very complicated. Maybe should have just listened to @KieranD and taken what he put in front of me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Easier than working on an Essex V6, my finger nails still look clean. :)
Curious what mod Kieran suggested?
They wont steer you wrong and its usually advisable to future proof to a degree.

Easier than working on an Essex V6, my finger nails still look clean. :)
Curious what mod Kieran suggested?
They wont steer you wrong and its usually advisable to future proof to a degree.

He suggested the Tarot Pro 160w Vaporesso ..

Would work with the tank and the VC guys would build the coils for me

Sounds very complicated. Maybe should have just listened to @KieranD and taken what he put in front of me

To sum it up, in a way which is hopefully simple.

It is always best to charge your batteries in an external charger, especially if the mod requires 2 or more batteries.
Quite a few 2 battery or more mods do not even allow you to charge the batteries via the USB cable.

As for what mod to purchase, well, I say lets not limit it to what the requirements would be for that specific tank as you might find yourself wanting to get a different tank later on.
If you are happy with having a larger (2 battery) mod and want more wattage available, then this is what I would recommend:

Smok Alien (some have issues with the paint coming off very easily)
Asmodus Minikin V2 (touch screen I believe)
Pioneer4You IPV6x
Smok G-Priv (touch screen)

If you are willing to wait a bit:
Smok H-Priv Pro Kit
Pioneer4You IPV8

If you are happy with lower wattage then perhaps these:
Holm Slice (certainly up there)
Smok Osub Plus (built in battery, can be a pro but can be a con too as you cannot replace it easily)

If clouds and flavour combined is what you are wanting from the tank and the Merlin mini is a MTL tank, I feel as if you might be disappointed though. Generally MTL does not provide great clouds and it will be a very restrictive pull - so if you vape your Melo 3 mini tank with the airflow wide open and like it, once again I feel as if you will be disappointed or unsatisfied with the vape from the Merlin mini.

He suggested the Tarot Pro 160w Vaporesso ..

Would work with the tank and the VC guys would build the coils for me

You would need to check how it handles a 24mm tank, it has front and side edge rounding and is probable meant for the Estoc tank which is 22mm dia.

To sum it up, in a way which is hopefully simple.

It is always best to charge your batteries in an external charger, especially if the mod requires 2 or more batteries.
Quite a few 2 battery or more mods do not even allow you to charge the batteries via the USB cable.

As for what mod to purchase, well, I say lets not limit it to what the requirements would be for that specific tank as you might find yourself wanting to get a different tank later on.
If you are happy with having a larger (2 battery) mod and want more wattage available, then this is what I would recommend:

Smok Alien (some have issues with the paint coming off very easily)
Asmodus Minikin V2 (touch screen I believe)
Pioneer4You IPV6x
Smok G-Priv (touch screen)

If you are willing to wait a bit:
Smok H-Priv Pro Kit
Pioneer4You IPV8

If you are happy with lower wattage then perhaps these:
Holm Slice (certainly up there)
Smok Osub Plus (built in battery, can be a pro but can be a con too as you cannot replace it easily)

If clouds and flavour combined is what you are wanting from the tank and the Merlin mini is a MTL tank, I feel as if you might be disappointed though. Generally MTL does not provide great clouds and it will be a very restrictive pull - so if you vape your Melo 3 mini tank with the airflow wide open and like it, once again I feel as if you will be disappointed or unsatisfied with the vape from the Merlin mini.
Merlin Mini has 2 decks. Single coil with MTL restricter and dual coil for DTL.

Hmmm. That's exactly how I like to vape.

Wide open with deep MTL pulls.

Hmmm. That's exactly how I like to vape.

Wide open with deep MTL pulls.

Yeah, you would know best and thanks to Andre for clearing up that it has 2 decks with different airflow "styles".
So I am sure you will be satisfied with it with at least one of the decks.

Worst case you can always sell it and get a different tank ;) Infact that is part of the fun of vaping, trying out the new gear which gets released. haha

@blujeenz by any chance do you have a TFV8 tank?
No bru, I MTL.
I once drove a '67 Pontiac GTO, about the closest I'll ever be to a V8 tank. :D

I see you follow up with the P4Y mods
Dunno what you're trying to communicate there, but I didnt get it. :)
long short, dont like P4Y, felt cheated by their poor ipv6x and wont be getting another P4Y product again.
Fool me once, shame on me and you, wont get me again. ;)

No bru, I MTL.
I once drove a '67 Pontiac GTO, about the closest I'll ever be to a V8 tank. :D

long short, dont like P4Y, felt cheated by their poor ipv6x and wont be getting another P4Y product again.
Do you think a tfv8 will sit flush on the alien without any overhang?

Didn't you have the IPV5 also ? I thought you're fan of P4Y mods since you had the IPV5 and now the 6x

Never had the 5, it was probably the last decent mod from P4Y though.
2 of mine has freezing problem. I can vape but cannot change wattage. This lasts about 3 minutes and sometimes longer. I wanted to update it but I didn't wanna take a chance, they site looks dodgy

Do you think a tfv8 will sit flush on the alien without any overhang?
No, I dont think so because the Aro Supreme sat about 0.213mm over the front edge, like a bungee jumper about to..
The TFV8 is 24.5mm with a 25mm glass so I think it will look odd.

Back