Advice to convert a cig smoker

klipdrifter

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
Hi there ladies and gents

So as some as you might have seen on other threads, I am going to England in May and since I told my girlfriend that England is such a vape friendly place it has given me the edge to try and convert her to vaping.

Now, the one thing she immediately said when the topic came up was that "Vaping doesn't give the same effect as cigarettes."

This is where I need your help guys, I was never a cigarette smoker so I don't know how to replicate the "effect" she is talking about here at the top. What I think it might mean is one of three things:

1. My 3mg Nic is too low for a cigarette smoker
2. The clouds on my Dvarw is to much and the airflow as well
3. Something to do with the Tar in cigarettes

With the above in mind I think what I need help with from you guys is this:

1. Stronger Nic strength (She smokes B&H which has 6mg tar and 0.6mg nic.) so not sure what Nic strength would be sufficient?
2. Getting an MTL RTA like the Taifun GTR which should replicate the tight draw of smoking an cigarette and reduce the clouds and airflow drastically. What do you guys think?
3. I don't know about tar and should I worry about it?

I am tagging a few people I have had the pleasure of dealing on this forum to hopefully start the conversation going.

Thanks for everyone's time to help me out here.

@Rob Fisher @CaliGuy @Larry @JoeM @Jp1905 @Silver

First and foremost your girlfriend really must WANT to give up smoking. If she doesn't then the project is doomed for failure...

If she wants to stop then a Taifun GTR with high nic is a good option if you are going to do the maintenance. If she is going to handle things herself then any of these tight draw pod systems will suffice.

My personal advise would be to get a Pod/mod device such as the Voopooo VINCI, Geekvape BOOST, Smok RPM80 and use a freebase MTL 12mg juice to start with and work down to a 9mg juice. She should not have any nic cravings, will get a slight throat hit and there are lots of different flavors including menthol, tobacco ect.

First and foremost your girlfriend really must WANT to give up smoking. If she doesn't then the project is doomed for failure...

If she wants to stop then a Taifun GTR with high nic is a good option if you are going to do the maintenance. If she is going to handle things herself then any of these tight draw pod systems will suffice.
Yes @Rob Fisher I also believe she has to want to give it up, but I am hoping that if she starts the vaping she might actually like it if conditions allow it.

My hardest thing which I can now finally get right is to at least get her to give vaping a go, I know it might not get the result I want but I would sleep better knowing she tried it and it wasn't for her.

That is why I am trying to use gear I already own, don't want to invest in it and she doesn't like it at the end of the day.

My personal advise would be to get a Pod/mod device such as the Voopooo VINCI, Geekvape BOOST, Smok RPM80 and use a freebase MTL 12mg juice to start with and work down to a 9mg juice. She should not have any nic cravings, will get a slight throat hit and there are lots of different flavors including menthol, tobacco ect.
Thanks @StompieZA , I am realizing this the more I read about converting a smoker. Seems PODs are the way to go. Will maybe look for a cheap starter kit and see if it helps her.

Thanks @StompieZA , I am realizing this the more I read about converting a smoker. Seems PODs are the way to go. Will maybe look for a cheap starter kit and see if it helps her.

The Geekvape boost has to be the pod with the best adjustable airflow if tight draw is what you are after. The airflow can be wide open which will give you a restricted DL draw but if closed to about 10% open, you will have a super tight cigarette like draw which she might enjoy or feel its the same and that alone might help convert her. You can even try the Vladdin RE, it has refillable pods and also has a very tight draw and reasonably good flavor and its cheap.

Hi there ladies and gents

So as some as you might have seen on other threads, I am going to England in May and since I told my girlfriend that England is such a vape friendly place it has given me the edge to try and convert her to vaping.

Now, the one thing she immediately said when the topic came up was that "Vaping doesn't give the same effect as cigarettes."

This is where I need your help guys, I was never a cigarette smoker so I don't know how to replicate the "effect" she is talking about here at the top. What I think it might mean is one of three things:

1. My 3mg Nic is too low for a cigarette smoker
2. The clouds on my Dvarw is to much and the airflow as well
3. Something to do with the Tar in cigarettes

With the above in mind I think what I need help with from you guys is this:

1. Stronger Nic strength (She smokes B&H which has 6mg tar and 0.6mg nic.) so not sure what Nic strength would be sufficient?
2. Getting an MTL RTA like the Taifun GTR which should replicate the tight draw of smoking an cigarette and reduce the clouds and airflow drastically. What do you guys think?
3. I don't know about tar and should I worry about it?

I am tagging a few people I have had the pleasure of dealing on this forum to hopefully start the conversation going.

Thanks for everyone's time to help me out here.

@Rob Fisher @CaliGuy @Larry @JoeM @Jp1905 @Silver
Hi @klipdrifter. My best and most trusted way of helping someone quit is to tell them about the Twisp Cue and Twisp Tobacco and a good MTL pod or tank.
But i am going to leave ot to @MrDeedz this time. Hope you get her to convert and good luck to you.

The Geekvape boost has to be the pod with the best adjustable airflow if tight draw is what you are after. The airflow can be wide open which will give you a restricted DL draw but if closed to about 10% open, you will have a super tight cigarette like draw which she might enjoy or feel its the same and that alone might help convert her. You can even try the Vladdin RE, it has refillable pods and also has a very tight draw and reasonably good flavor and its cheap.
The Vladdin RE is also a good option and the pods lasts ages.

@klipdrifter The device that got me off the stinkies back in 2013 was the Twisp Clearo

73be760ecfc94fd2b64ff95ece96a5b2.jpg

The 18mg liquid at the time was too strong a hit for me so I mixed the 18 with a 0 nic juice. Vanilla and mint were the 2 twisp flavours that pulled me through. I would highly recommend getting 2 small devices that are not a mission to carry around. While the one is charging you can use the other. My biggest fear at the time was my batteries dying or not having enough juice. Goodluck to you and your girlfriend on this journey and your travels!

@klipdrifter The device that got me off the stinkies back in 2013 was the Twisp Clearo

The 18mg liquid at the time was too strong a hit for me so I mixed the 18 with a 0 nic juice. Vanilla and mint were the 2 twisp flavours that pulled me through. I would highly recommend getting 2 small devices that are not a mission to carry around. While the one is charging you can use the other. My biggest fear at the time was my batteries dying or not having enough juice. Goodluck to you and your girlfriend on this journey and your travels!
Thanks @Larry

Hey Bud,

I think that the feedback given above is spot on from the guys. I started on CUE the day I quit, so going for MTL pod system on HIGH NIC then titrate down over time is the trick...well that's what worked for me..two years now and not even a puff of the stinkies...
initially was tough, first two weeks...what helped me is even after puffing on the CUE and still not satisfying the craving, I would drink water...
now I am down to 1mg DL and 3mg MTL strength and I am loving it

Get your missus a Twisp Cue Pod, they are cheap and for women smokers this is the best and most cost effective option.

My wife was exactly the same, doesn’t want clouds and must taste and draw like a cigarette. @CJB85 gave me a Twisp Cue that I passes on to my wife and she hasn’t looked back, she didn’t like the look, feel or taste of any of my MTL setups.

I also recently bought my nephew a Twisp Cue, he took to it from day one and has now been cigarette free for 8 days so the Twisp does work as advertised.

Added bonus a 2ml R45 pod last my wife around 10 to 12 days. Twisp is available in the UK should you need replacement pods.

Another great option is the Uwell Caliburn Pod, here you have the option of a refillable pod that supports MTL and Nic Salts eLiquids. I would still recommend you get the Twisp Tobacco #1 juice as the flavour is the closest match to a real cigarette. From there she can always upgrade to other flavored eLiquid. But the secret is to have a eLiquid the tastes as close to the real thing and here Twisp has hit the nail on the head with their Tobacco #1 juice.

Last edited:
Vaping is more addictive and satisfying than cigarettes.

My way of quitting was:

1. Smoke cigarettes and vape for the first month.
2. Use 6mg nic with a wattage range of around 50w-80w direct lung for the first 3 months.
3. After the first month vape only.
4. After 3 months, start using 3mg nic.

There is no harm in having a social cigarette every now and then, I have probably had around 10 since 2016 and they are not nearly as satisfying as vaping.

Get your missus a Twisp Cue Pod, they are cheap and for women smokers this is the best and most cost effective option.

My wife was exactly the same, doesn’t want clouds and must taste and draw like a cigarette. @CJB85 gave me a Twisp Cue that I passes on to my wife and she hasn’t looked back, she didn’t like the look, feel or taste of any of my MTL setups.

I also recently bought my nephew a Twisp Cue, he took to it from day one and has now been cigarette free for 8 days so the Twisp does work as advertised.

Added bonus a 2ml R45 pod last my wife around 10 to 12 days. Twisp is available in the UK should you need replacement pods.

Another great option is the Uwell Caliburn Pod, here you have the option of a refillable pod that supports MTL and Nic Salts eLiquids. I would still recommend you get the Twisp Tobacco #1 juice as the flavour is the closest match to a real cigarette. From there she can always upgrade to other flavored eLiquid. But the secret is to have a eLiquid the tastes as close to the real thing and here Twisp has hit the nail on the head with their Tobacco #1 juice.
Thanks @CaliGuy your feedback is helpful as always

Hi @klipdrifter , I will second @CaliGuy ’s suggestion on the Twisp Cue
It’s a great device, has a tight draw and easy to use
The only thing is you have to see which Cue pod flavour she will like
There aren’t too many, hopefully she likes one or two of them
I would also suggest getting her a second one in a different colour to have two going at the same time or one as a backup when the other battery is flat

Snap @Larry !
Except I was a Rebel and Polar Mint fan. The combination of those two flavours, mixed up together was a major win

Plus one on Twisp tobacco#1

Hi @klipdrifter , I will second @CaliGuy ’s suggestion on the Twisp Cue
It’s a great device, has a tight draw and easy to use
The only thing is you have to see which Cue pod flavour she will like
There aren’t too many, hopefully she likes one or two of them
I would also suggest getting her a second one in a different colour to have two going at the same time or one as a backup when the other battery is flat
Thats what worked for me @Silver i had two Twisp Cue's.one was mine and the other I permanently borrowed from the Mrs.

Bro i paid R65 a pod last week. Where did you get those pods for R45

Plus one on Twisp tobacco#1

I hear you @Resistance
Personally I wasn’t mad about Tobacco #1, even from the early days with the normal Clearo.
It’s not bad, but not my favourite
In the Twisp Cue Pod flavour range my best is the Mango Ice.
I would love a Rebel Ice but I don’t think they released that. Not sure though.

The thing that’s important if you want to give up the stinkies is you need to find a flavour that you absolutely love. And it’s so personal. What someone loves, others may find average. So one needs to try them all. Holding thumbs for @klipdrifter’s girlfriend.

I hear you @Resistance
Personally I wasn’t mad about Tobacco #1, even from the early days with the normal Clearo.
It’s not bad, but not my favourite
In the Twisp Cue Pod flavour range my best is the Mango Ice.
I would love a Rebel Ice but I don’t think they released that. Not sure though.

The thing that’s important if you want to give up the stinkies is you need to find a flavour that you absolutely love. And it’s so personal. What someone loves, others may find average. So one needs to try them all. Holding thumbs for @klipdrifter’s girlfriend.
IMG_20200118_005857.jpg IMG_20200118_203851.jpg
May two faves. Rebel is good for ocasional vaping.bit one thing about twisp whether or not it high nic or low nic it subsides the cravings.

Back