Arachnids

I found this beasty setting up home in my garden.

Can anyone tell me what manner of beast it is. I havent seen this around here before.

c466af3176804f225f8de09f1930858a.jpg
bc40191a599a861f3a7afabf1020ca6f.jpg

Thank you sir.

Should I be worried about the kids and cat?

They are not generally aggro as far as I know, but if the kids or cat go missing, just go check the web.
Webs are strong enough to trap small birds, but kids and the cat should be able to escape it.

Wiki said:
The venom of the golden silk orb-weaver is potent but not lethal to humans. It has a neurotoxic effect similar to that of the black widow spider; however, its venom is not nearly as powerful. The bite causes local pain, redness, and blisters that normally disappear within a 24-hour interval. In rare cases, it might trigger allergic reactions and result in respiratory troubles (in asthmatics) or fast-acting involuntary muscle cramps. As the genus possesses relatively strong chelicerae, the bite could leave a scar on hard tissue (such as fingers).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_silk_orb-weaver

Went to check on the little beastie this morning.

0123213ee1882cfda36a153bde518040.jpg

It has caught and stung up one of its friends

d0193b907a48a9b49cf8014b906c80aa.jpg

Went to check on the little beastie this morning.

0123213ee1882cfda36a153bde518040.jpg

It has caught and stung up one of its friends

d0193b907a48a9b49cf8014b906c80aa.jpg

My entire neighbourhood would be on fire at that point.

Surprisingly, I grew up with these buggers together with baboon spiders and button spiders and it never bothered me (I live(d) a block away from Devils Peak mountain). Nowadays, I morph into something I would best not describe on a public forum when I see any spider other than a daddy long legs and jumping spider.

I'm a grown ass man but I phoned my daddy to come and remove a spider from my bathroom the other day. #JudgeMeIfYouLike

My entire neighbourhood would be on fire at that point.

Surprisingly, I grew up with these buggers together with baboon spiders and button spiders and it never bothered me (I live(d) a block away from Devils Peak mountain). Nowadays, I morph into something I would best not describe on a public forum when I see any spider other than a daddy long legs and jumping spider.

I'm a grown ass man but I phoned my daddy to come and remove a spider from my bathroom the other day. #JudgeMeIfYouLike
I don't mind them actually. I shall call this one Bob.
I caught a baboon spider in my room 2 nights ago, and released it in the garden.
When I was younger and saw a baboon spider in my room I would have had to change underwear. I seem to have grown out of my fear.

Those brown button spiders however my dad and I eradicated, they took over the house at one stage, they where everywhere.

I dare not tell HRH about this though. I'm suprised she hasn't seen Bob yet he is chilling close to the birdfeeder. If she does see him that will be the end of beastie Bob.

@Gazzacpt I believe he's/she has molted. That is the old skin you see. They have exoskeletons and need to molt in order to grow

Back