Banting

Ok so I started banting a week ago. Lost 1.2kg so far. Want to lose 5 - 8kg. Have two worries though... I have high blood pressure and cholesterol and use low dose medication for both as both run in the family. Do the banting pros on here think banting will do me good or should I be worried. Think I already hit ketosis as of yesterday :eek:

Ok so I started banting a week ago. Lost 1.2kg so far. Want to lose 5 - 8kg. Have two worries though... I have high blood pressure and cholesterol and use low dose medication for both as both run in the family. Do the banting pros on here think banting will do me good or should I be worried. Think I already hit ketosis as of yesterday :eek:

@Oupa I have the same issue and added to that I have diabetes type 2. My wife has done a HUGE amount of research on the issue and is more than happy with the diet... I'm due for blood tests real soon and that will be interesting and will let you know... my blood pressure has been stable for some time now (still on medication) and by diabetes is very happy on the diet.

The Cholesterol issue is a contentious one and new research suggests we are WAY too anal with this cholesterol thing... and in fact cholesterol is the building block of the body.

Bottom line is my wife is happy with me on the diet and she has researched the thing to death!

My sister is on the banting plan and stopped her cholesterol meds at the same time she started. After a month her cholesterol was at normal levels. Not to say you should do the same. We also do the banting, but have found we need a good muesli (Jungle Granola) in the mornings (with lots of Pick n Pay double cream joghurt) for good energy levels through the day. Methinks it will do you good. I lost 15 kg within about 3 months, but have been at the same weight for the last 6 months. Monitor your blood pressure and cholesterol as you go along.

Thank you sirs! I am due for bloodwork in 2 months so will also post results here... now lemme go finish that banting pizza and stick it in the oven!

Yeah its awesome made some the other night :)

551e4536fa12e99fa017507bf41b9958.jpg

Good grief I hate Cauliflower and Cauliflower in any form... if anyone tried to give me cauliflower mash and expect me to think it tastes anything like mashed potato I'm going to knee them in the face! :-@

Good grief I hate Cauliflower and Cauliflower in any form... if anyone tried to give me cauliflower mash and expect me to think it tastes anything like mashed potato I'm going to knee them in the face! :-@
Hah. I have become a fan of Cauliflower in all its various states. Been eating LCHF which became so called Banting for a long time, for over 18 months now. Lost weight and picked up all of it. Turns out its tough to do this strictly. I am now again trying to lose but I am now more Paleo. Strict Paleo, no alchohol or anything artificial, eat a bit more fruit and no diary - pretend to forget about ejuice. I have lost 5kgs after about a week and a half. Will remain strict until November and start reintroducing some wine etc. A beer or two at night after work does pile on the kgs, I have to reluctantly admit!

I also am not the biggest fan, but this tasted awesome!!! Just like real pizza :p

The key for me was adding lots of mozzarella and parmesan cheese and an egg. After this it does not even taste like cauliflower :clap:

Does the banting diet talk about portion sizes and the amount of calories?

Does the banting diet talk about portion sizes and the amount of calories?
No, your palm size portions of meat only if I remember correctly. Some limitations on certain vegetables/fruit on the orange list, but that is because of carbohydrates contained in those. The focus is on carbs.

Ok thanks Andre

What surprises me is that with all the fatty things I would have thought calories consumed would go through the roof.

Apparently not given the many successes that people have had

Ok thanks Andre

What surprises me is that with all the fatty things I would have thought calories consumed would go through the roof.

Apparently not given the many successes that people have had

Seem to me reading this thread that nom-nom points aren't like I used to know them.

May I revive this thread?
How's everyone doing on this way of eating?
I've been reading up and it sounds awesome.
As I understand it, these fats feed your brain and your body does not have to process it like it has to with sugars and carbs.
I watched a YouTube video called "lard makes you lean". I used to use it in everything (love it!!!) then you could not get it anymore :eek:

Would love to hear from you guys :)

May I revive this thread?
How's everyone doing on this way of eating?
I've been reading up and it sounds awesome.
As I understand it, these fats feed your brain and your body does not have to process it like it has to with sugars and carbs.
I watched a YouTube video called "lard makes you lean". I used to use it in everything (love it!!!) then you could not get it anymore :eek:

Would love to hear from you guys :)
We are still going strong, and loving this style of eating.

Does anyone know where onions fit in?
I am either blind or its not on the lists.

I'm battling... I miss bread! :doh:

So does HRH. I have tried a number of the Banting breads for her. This one finally made the grade:

300g Almond flour
50g cubed almonds
22ml Psyllium husk
15ml baking powder
pinch salt
1Tbsp xylitol
100g double cream yoghurt
250g of grated cheddar cheese
6 eggs
50g melted butter

Mix everything together

Place into bread tin will greased. Add extra grated cheddar on top if you like.

Bake at 180C for 1 hour

So does HRH. I have tried a number of the Banting breads for her. This one finally made the grade:

300g Almond flour
50g cubed almonds
22ml Psyllium husk
15ml baking powder
pinch salt
1Tbsp xylitol
100g double cream yoghurt
250g of grated cheddar cheese
6 eggs
50g melted butter

Mix everything together

Place into bread tin will greased. Add extra grated cheddar on top if you like.

Bake at 180C for 1 hour

The girls have tried a few different recipes for me and none of them work for me... :-(

At least my diabetes is under control on this horrible diet!

Back