Benefits of steeping

Ravynheart

The Curious Raven
LV

Awards
Although I've been vaping for just over year now, three months ago was the first time I've heard about steeping. New to this concept, I have some noob questions.
1. Do all juices benefit from steeping?
2. What's the ideal steeping time?
3. What steeping methods are there?

Although I've been vaping for just over year now, three months ago was the first time I've heard about steeping. New to this concept, I have some noob questions.

Hey there!

To answer your questions:

1) Absolutely, however some don't really need it and some really need it! Usually fruit flavours are easily vaped straight away, it is more the complex, desserty or tobaccos flavours that really need time to steep.
2) Each juice is different. Some can be vaped straight away and others get better and/OR different over time.
3) Time :) is your best option. However some people use methods such as using a magnetic stirrer or using an ultrasonic to bring it to temperature. But time is the best steeping method - place in a dark cupboard and wait.

Yes, all juices benefit from steeping, though, not all juices need to be steeped when mixed. Some DIY juices are great for vaping right after mixing.

Steeping improves flavor quite a lot.

lol....@Vapington , you were just a little faster than me.

I just love the NCV Milked and Fruloops. Awesome juices :)

1. Yes, I haven't come across a juice that HASN'T tasted better after a steep ;)
2. If you can find the answer to this, you'll be a millionaire! Seriously though, this is subjective and you will get a different answer every time!
3. As @Vapington said, there are plenty of different methods, but a dark (no direct sunlight), warm (to keep the liquid thinner so it oxidises easier) place is the best I've found. I normally put my e liquids in a plastic bottle and put it in the boot of my car for a few days, this seems to do the trick ;)

Well I've just put all my bottles open on a shelf in my closet (it's dark and I rarely open it) hopefully it will improve my 'not so great' juices

Well I've just put all my bottles open on a shelf in my closet (it's dark and I rarely open it) hopefully it will improve my 'not so great' juices

How are you hoping they will improve? If you think steeping will add more flavour to a dull e liquid, it won't.... but what it will do is help "mellow" everything out and "balance" out the flavours... so if you have a banana bread flavour, but the banana is coming though a lot, then let it steep for a bit, and more than likely, you'll start getting less banana and more "bread".... if you know what I mean?

V
How are you hoping they will improve? If you think steeping will add more flavour to a dull e liquid, it won't.... but what it will do is help "mellow" everything out and "balance" out the flavours... so if you have a banana bread flavour, but the banana is coming though a lot, then let it steep for a bit, and more than likely, you'll start getting less banana and more "bread".... if you know what I mean?
Very valid point. XD this is why I created this thread because I have no idea what I'm doing. I know that a bad liquid is always a bad liquid. Some over my liquids have a few overpowering tones (for example, the Vapexstacy blueberry is too sour for my liking even after adding a little hangsen honey.)

V

Very valid point. XD this is why I created this thread because I have no idea what I'm doing. I know that a bad liquid is always a bad liquid. Some over my liquids have a few overpowering tones (for example, the Vapexstacy blueberry is too sour for my liking even after adding a little hangsen honey.)
ok, now we're getting on the same wavelength ;)

Yeah, now what steeping COULD (and I say could, because as you'll learn, steeping is a tricky beast) do is help that blueberry mellow out a bit, and help those sour notes fade a bit. I've found that is something is REALLY strong, then what I do is take the lid off the bottle (and take the little nozzle out if you have it) and let it sit without a lid for 12 - 24 hours... this seems to take the 'edge' off it.

For things like custards and creams, I've found steeping really brings out the richness & creaminess in the e liquids. Like when you take a vape, you can really feel the vapour in your mouth, and it really does feel almost creamy when compared to smoking it when it's not steeped. I always steep my custard flavours for a minimum of 2 weeks, but I try to let them sit for 3 if I can. :p

For tobacco flavours, I've found a minimum of 3 weeks is best. Tobacco's are generally complex flavours and need more time to steep. I've found with tobacco flavours, you get a lot of "wierd" tastes when it's fresh, but if it's a few weeks steeped, then it's generally more consistent in taste.

ok, now we're getting on the same wavelength ;)

Yeah, now what steeping COULD (and I say could, because as you'll learn, steeping is a tricky beast) do is help that blueberry mellow out a bit, and help those sour notes fade a bit. I've found that is something is REALLY strong, then what I do is take the lid off the bottle (and take the little nozzle out if you have it) and let it sit without a lid for 12 - 24 hours... this seems to take the 'edge' off it.

For things like custards and creams, I've found steeping really brings out the richness & creaminess in the e liquids. Like when you take a vape, you can really feel the vapour in your mouth, and it really does feel almost creamy when compared to smoking it when it's not steeped. I always steep my custard flavours for a minimum of 2 weeks, but I try to let them sit for 3 if I can. :p

For tobacco flavours, I've found a minimum of 3 weeks is best. Tobacco's are generally complex flavours and need more time to steep. I've found with tobacco flavours, you get a lot of "wierd" tastes when it's fresh, but if it's a few weeks steeped, then it's generally more consistent in taste.
Ah, now it's starting to make sense. I mainly have fruity, dessert and drink based flavours.

In my experience "steeping" can go both ways. Some juices improve, some get worse.

It's hugely subjective. Degasification is generally a good thing. But I've got a few fruit mixes that just become sweet fruit mush after a while and lose all their detail. It'll vary from juice to juice and from person to person - don't blindly throw everything in the cupboard for a month is all I'm saying :)

It's hugely subjective. Degasification is generally a good thing. But I've got a few fruit mixes that just become sweet fruit mush after a while and lose all their detail. It'll vary from juice to juice and from person to person - don't blindly throw everything in the cupboard for a month is all I'm saying :)
One month would be overkill XD I'm planning on two or three days max

Try the sunshine cured method.

Sent from iPhone

Hey, we're allowed preferences. He's essentially lowering the nic content of his juice, which makes it smoother.

On this note, what about flavours that are imported from the states ? They are packaged and shipped which usually takes a week or 2 right ? Does this not count as steeping time ? So in theory they should be ready to vape as soon as we get them ?

I'm asking this question because I recently bought Milkman, and the first couple of vapes tasted OK-ish, but then it tasted horrible, almost like a burnt dry hit taste, but it wasn't.

I did a bit of reading up and have seen similar experiences with Milkman and letting it steep for 2 weeks is a MUST for anyone buying it.

So my question still remains, should it not be steeped by the time we get it here ? And if it isn't, why ?

On this note, what about flavours that are imported from the states ? They are packaged and shipped which usually takes a week or 2 right ? Does this not count as steeping time ? So in theory they should be ready to vape as soon as we get them ?

I'm asking this question because I recently bought Milkman, and the first couple of vapes tasted OK-ish, but then it tasted horrible, almost like a burnt dry hit taste, but it wasn't.

I did a bit of reading up and have seen similar experiences with Milkman and letting it steep for 2 weeks is a MUST for anyone buying it.

So my question still remains, should it not be steeped by the time we get it here ? And if it isn't, why ?
From what I understand, steeping involves oxidising. When your juice is shipped, it's closed. So, no oxidising happening

Back