Best wire cutters ?

Interesting question@Silver as I'm in the market for a good wire cutter and while the low price ones tend to dull after a bit i wonder if an expensive set is worth the investment or should I just replace the cheap one every six months or so.

Thanks @kev mac , you make a good point
If the more expensive sets are say 5 times the price, it may make sense to buy a cheaper set 5 times ;-)

However, if I am going to go for a more expensive set then it must also perform better and be easier to use. Not that its hard to use my Plato set, i would be fine continuing with it - but i thought maybe there is something considerably better that I just dont know about.

Still use good old fashioned nail clippers,work like a bomb.But I do only use 26g wire so yeah... :s

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

@Silver I bought some side cutters from a vendor that used to sell fakes and marketed them as originals. Here are the results.IMG-20170217-WA0008.jpeg IMG-20170217-WA0010.jpeg

I bought plato cutters from a reputable vendor I trust and the plato's have not let me down yet.

My gosh @Christos - those are proper holes in those cutters
Not good

Mine are still fine and nowhere near like that.

Thanks @kev mac , you make a good point
If the more expensive sets are say 5 times the price, it may make sense to buy a cheaper set 5 times ;-)

However, if I am going to go for a more expensive set then it must also perform better and be easier to use. Not that its hard to use my Plato set, i would be fine continuing with it - but i thought maybe there is something considerably better that I just dont know about.
@Silver ,a good array of cutters by @johan listing price points and quality was quite helpful.

Thanks @johan! I have been searching the planet for proper wire cutters... Order placed and I was forced to get more screwdrivers... yes I have a screwdriver issue! :p
F1585726-01.jpg F7887034-01.jpg

@Alex nice informative videos, one caveat though - most of them are excellent for electronic work cutting "softer" component leads manufactured from tinned copper (as @blujeenz rightly so mentioned in this thread). The Knipex as well as Xuron brands do have all round cutters that can even be used on piano wire which is made of very hard materials. I will not dare to use my expensive Lindstrom cutters on Kanthal etc. Double check for what purpose the cutters are made for, as well as authenticity before you purchase - if the price is too good it is fake.

We're talking about the best right? Then stop wasting your time looking at wire cutters meant for soft wire. Get the right tool for the job. The reason you're all damaging your cutters is because you're cutting hard wire. Sure some cutters do better than others because they have hardened steel tips to help with longevity cutting soft wire, but they will wear out quick too cutting the hard stuff. What you really want are proper fine hard wire cuttters with tungsten tips/jaws....and a set of diamond files. Tungsten jawed cutters are designed for this task, and even when they wear, it's more like a conventional edge dulling ( which is easily maintained with the diamond files ) as opposed the total edge failure being illustrated above

@Alex nice informative videos, one caveat though - most of them are excellent for electronic work cutting "softer" component leads manufactured from tinned copper (as @blujeenz rightly so mentioned in this thread). The Knipex as well as Xuron brands do have all round cutters that can even be used on piano wire which is made of very hard materials. I will not dare to use my expensive Lindstrom cutters on Kanthal etc. Double check for what purpose the cutters are made for, as well as authenticity before you purchase - if the price is too good it is fake.

Hi @johan, yeah I screwed up a perfectly good pair of precision side cutters myself a few months back, because I was in a hurry to cut something, and too lazy to get my heavy duty sidecutters. :oops:

@Silver

I bought these el-cheapo cutters some time ago and can't remember where. It was something like $8, but, they are awesome! I cut all wire with it, even the hard 317L and no dents or going blunt.

hdRc2q5.jpg

Hi guys. I'm a few years late, I know, lol, but I feel this is worth mentioning. These cutters weren't out in 2017, but the best cutters I've come across are the demon killer cutters.

I've tried lots of cutters. Nothing in the HE range like knippex, etc, but I've tried platos, coil master, and a whole range of other cutters.

Demon killers win, every time. The blade is made in Japan. The red handle is made in China. For the price range, the quality is just crazy good.

Having the best wire cutters & scissors for trimming the wicks is a good investment for those who rebuild.

Doesn't have to be expensive but getting something that works very well is worth a lot in avoiding lots of hassle.

For example, my best scissors is STILL my el cheapo Dischem R15 scissors (that's what they cost when I got them) - they cut so well and are comfortable to use - not too small that you need to have midget hands to use and not too big so they dont fit in your toolbox.

Having the best wire cutters & scissors for trimming the wicks is a good investment for those who rebuild.

Doesn't have to be expensive but getting something that works very well is worth a lot in avoiding lots of hassle.

For example, my best scissors is STILL my el cheapo Dischem R15 scissors (that's what they cost when I got them) - they cut so well and are comfortable to use - not too small that you need to have midget hands to use and not too big so they dont fit in your toolbox.
Agree, I also have a pair of scissors from the Dischem nail section and they rock. In terms of investment, when these get dull, I am searching for someone who can supply small surgical scissors.

Enjoy'd my plato cutters.

Lasted 3 years till two weeks back when the tip broke also not super expensive pick them up for 99 bucks at vape king.

I suspect those are fake Plato cutters @Silver. As you know, being in the electronic industry for decades, the best side cutters are as follows (priorotized and originals):

1. Lindstrom (models 7190 +/-$59.95 and 8140 +/-$38)
2. Knipex - +/-$41.68 (ideal for any type of vaping wire)
3. Hakko (CHP-170) - +/-$4.37
4. Xuron - +/-$8.55 (good enough for any type of vaping wire)
5. Excelite - +/-$7.10
6.Plato - +/-$7.50

PS: a lot of fakes of the aforementioned available on ebay etc., buy from the the manufacturers instead and/or approved retailers/agents. If you pay less than above prices, it is surely fakes.

Agree on the Knippex, these last for generations.

Back