Braai Check

Never mind that, who still has that amount of meat left this time of the month.:eek: Only veg left here, so chicken burgers it was for tonight.:D

Those are the last if the tenderised steaks. Not even proper steaks. But I had to get back at my neighbour who has been torturing me with his lamb chops over the weekend.

Its cruel to post braai pics like that after dinner
Making me hungry all over again !!!

I just can't wait for Friday to come so now is the perfect time for
2019-05-23 18.54.34.jpg
and later this
2019-05-23 18.53.45.jpg
And to anyone out there doing the same Cheers enjoy it:Saeufer:

Yip... it was a good baai... rib with a Sharks win... :D
20190525_192624.jpg

noob question, how long does it take to cook that fat steak ? or was it cooked before you put it on the braai?
Depends on how hot your coals are. Normally for steak the hotter the better, but for that thickness I tone down a bit, just normal heat like for lamb chops and braai it for 5-10 min. You need that big piece of fat t get cooked before it burns. If you seal both sides properly before the first turn each side, then the meat itself does not get cooked in the middel to quick, so you can still have medium/rare after a longer braai

noob question, how long does it take to cook that fat steak ? or was it cooked before you put it on the braai?

Hi @Faiyaz Cheulkar - I get similar steaks to what @Jean claude Vaaldamme has in his photo. I get them from this butcher in Craighall (here in JHB). They've been there for years. Incidentally, the VapeKing shop in Craighall opened next door to them. But I've been going to that butcher on and off for years. They prepare incredible rump and fillet steaks - ready for the braai.

They are thick and top quality.

I do them for about 12 minutes and they are perfect. 3 minutes each side - then another 3 minutes on each side. I don't know why but that just works perfectly. I have a gas braai with volcanic rocks - not a charcoal braai. Not sure of the temps but that amount of time works for me. I set my burners to the highest full blast setting.

I have had a few visitors come for those steaks in the past and without fail they comment on how excellently they turned out and how amazing they taste.

So for me for thick steaks, 12 minutes is the magic number on my braai setup.

Last edited:
Back