BVC MTaLiens

Here we go then, @charln sent three samples, this is Sample A. I have no idea what wire gauges were used, but the resistances are shown in the one image. I decided to take a chance and added the extra wrap, making it a 5 1/2 wrap coil and it just fit without trying to distort the coil. I struggled a lot to get rid of all the hot spots, but that is likely due to my unskilled fingers adding the extra wrap.
My build, once settled, came out to a 0.4 and I am currently vaping at 23 watts. It is a liquid I don’t know that well, but I figured a fruity vape will go better with a low power build like this. I am vaping a Peach and Apricot that my wife bought and she says it tastes quite a lot better in the Ether than any of her tanks.
The vape is quite crackly, but not in an unpleasant way and the flavour is a lot more saturated than on a previous build I threw in in the Ether.
Now, while the coil seems to be very good (I will still try samples B and C), I’m not sure I like the Ether in RDL mode. It is VERY loud and I don’t like it one bit.
On a side note, I think these coils would be a wonderful fit for the guys doing RDL on the Intake MTL.3D3DB4B2-07DC-4715-B887-3D696DF6BBC4.jpeg 0F274EE9-0E3A-49D2-AC72-1BB5BE2C24E4.jpeg 7EF5F53E-2797-4E3C-864F-0F0FBA5421A8.jpeg 297A7728-1428-40D4-88F6-FEDA9FDC6D66.jpeg

Is there a store(s) I can order from @charln ? I would like to give these a go now too. Might have somebody flying over pretty soon
Honestly, the coils here in UAE are sub-par, I guess because it's still a growing market.

Here we go then, @charln sent three samples, this is Sample A. I have no idea what wire gauges were used, but the resistances are shown in the one image. I decided to take a chance and added the extra wrap, making it a 5 1/2 wrap coil and it just fit without trying to distort the coil. I struggled a lot to get rid of all the hot spots, but that is likely due to my unskilled fingers adding the extra wrap.
My build, once settled, came out to a 0.4 and I am currently vaping at 23 watts. It is a liquid I don’t know that well, but I figured a fruity vape will go better with a low power build like this. I am vaping a Peach and Apricot that my wife bought and she says it tastes quite a lot better in the Ether than any of her tanks.
The vape is quite crackly, but not in an unpleasant way and the flavour is a lot more saturated than on a previous build I threw in in the Ether.
Now, while the coil seems to be very good (I will still try samples B and C), I’m not sure I like the Ether in RDL mode. It is VERY loud and I don’t like it one bit.
On a side note, I think these coils would be a wonderful fit for the guys doing RDL on the Intake MTL.View attachment 222745 View attachment 222746 View attachment 222747 View attachment 222748
Just a quick update on this.
I set the Swag 2 to VWH for a quicker ramp-up and dialed it down to 16 watts and steadily worked back up to 20 watts. The airflow is still loud, but it’s better than it was. The flavour is excellent and the vape experience is great, apart from the damn noise!
@charln the Sample A is a definite YES at 5.5 wraps! I would like to spend some time with it and will move on to the others in a week or so.

It was the year 2021, in the month of Feb,
when a man in a red suite, through the Forum tread.
He changed his name from Santa to @charln , to share all his spoils
he blessed a few members with spectacular coils!

Just creating a thread to consolidate all the feedback from the various Forum members that received samples of the new BVC MTaLiens.

@Dela Rey Steyn so you’re also an undercover poet
and we didn’t even know it
:campeon2:

Please excuse my late reply mate, I’ve been up to my eyeballs with building MTaLiens for the upcoming launch.

Thank you so much for creating this thread, feedback is so valuable, whether positive or negative, that’s what truly inspires me!

I was fortunate enough to receive some of these coils for testing and feedback. I really wish my phone could do macro shots, as none of the pics I have taken do these coils any justice. (I'm uploading them anyway)

I use different coils for different juices, as they add to the flavour that I want to get from each juice.

If I'm vaping high nic Tobacco's (12-18mg) I like to use simple round wire coils of either SS316L or Kanthal as they give an earthy pop to the flavour and a satisfying throat hit, a crisp sharp flavour.

For lower nic (9-12mg) tobacco and dessert profiles I like to use MTL aliens as they provide a rich warm vape, that lifts out the bakery notes.

For fruity flavours you can never go wrong with Ni80 Vandy Vape MTL Clapton coils. They make the juicy flavours rich and fresh.

I have never used a single type of coil for all three types.

But this is what I'm going to attempt now with these MTaLiens supplied by @charln, and I'll share my experience with each one here, as I go along.

First up is the dessert/tobacco 12mg juices. For this I've started up the Intake MTL Atty. It is a great MTL Atty for these types of flavours.
View attachment 222281 View attachment 222282 View attachment 222283 View attachment 222284 View attachment 222285 View attachment 222286 View attachment 222287
@Dela Rey Steyn Love the detail, and great pics!

I’ve left the legs long enough to add an extra full wrap if required. Adding half a wrap to get the legs facing in the same direction will increase the resistance to +-0.75 ohms, and adding a full wrap (opposing legs) will increase the resistance to +-0.80 ohms.

The only thing that confuses me is why they are called BVC coils, in the past BVC has been used when a stock coil has a vertical coil installed?
@Timwis I’m just the humble coil builder and prefer to stay out the spotlight, so I teamed up with Brent from Bearded Viking Customs... he makes the jars and handles sales and marketing via his BVC website. Recently we’ve got TKO Distro and Long Dog Trading on board to help get the coils into selected stores. You’re right though, I’ve seen a few people get confused about the BVC name.

Oh look at you all with your high end tanks..
So I made a slight detour on my way to my Valentines date, the Fiancee very lovingly obliged, and I'm so happy that I did.. I recently traded a very nice tank with @DarthBranMuffin
And have been waiting for the right coils to take it for a spin

I used a flavour that I was familiar with and have tried in a few tanks and different coils because j wanted to see the significant difference

I used Caramel Milk by TKO, 3mg, the flavour previously seemed quite straight forward, caramel with milk undertones.. not hugely complex but it's a flavour I liked..

with the BVC no 42 coils it brought out a whole new batch of tastes.. creamy textures, almost had a coffeeish vibe about it, the flavour was almost too intense.. I switched to duel battery device to give it a bit more kick, the coils crackled happily and gave me a smooth draw and powerful evolving flavours..

Alot of time and energy was taken to attain the best materials to make the coils.. the coils were also very soft and pliable.. when I use nichrome coils they are generally quite rigid and hard to cut.. you can really feel the hand made attention to detail that a machine simply can't produce.. can't wait to get my hands on the hybrids
Big shout out to @charln you are a gentlemen and a master at your craft and I have no doubt that you will be successful in this venture..

View attachment 222601View attachment 222601 View attachment 222602 View attachment 222603
@JordanEpic I’m glad you made that detour, it was a pleasure meeting you mate! Yayyyy I’m glad you’re enjoying the coils, and I appreciate your detailed feedback and kind comments!

@charln my apologies for the delay on any feedback for the MTAliens, my journey has been a bit of a nightmare.

I installed the coil in the Ether, pulsed and cleared a few hotspots, nice even glow.
Wicked it up, filled it and when I started vaping it, I had this terrible buffeting sound... not a crackle, buffeting.
I ripped the build out, pulsed, no hotspots and wicked it up again. This time was a little better, but after a few refills it was back to its old and excessively loud PrrPrrPrr!

I finally figured it out after ripping the new build out!
The coil I received was a little loosely wrapped, which is not an issue on its own, but when I installed it with a coil rod the post screws pulled the two very outer loops tighter around the 2.5mm rod. This left the opening of the coil tighter than the inner loops, so any cotton I managed to get in, was not tight enough through the centre of the coil.

I pulled the coil out, put it over the coil rod and pulled both legs to tighten the whole coil up.
Installed it again, wicked it up and problem solved!
The coil is beautifully made, like the other BVC coils.
Minimal hotspots and fires up nice and quickly.

I'd be lying if I said I noticed a cathartic difference in flavour compared to my usual go-to (Coilology MTL Aliens) coils, but it certainly is very flavourful.
This may however just be a reflection on my own unrefined palate, or DIY liquid, rather than on the coils.

I will update soon with a new liquid, thanks again for sending me the sample to test!

*** UPDATE ON THE RDL COILS ***
While the sample A coil was very good and fit the deck perfectly, I am not sure I'm a fan of the Ether for RDL in general. the airflow gets significantly louder and the draw is just a little too tight. I will however give it another bash with the other samples soon!

@charln my apologies for the delay on any feedback for the MTAliens, my journey has been a bit of a nightmare.

I installed the coil in the Ether, pulsed and cleared a few hotspots, nice even glow.
Wicked it up, filled it and when I started vaping it, I had this terrible buffeting sound... not a crackle, buffeting.
I ripped the build out, pulsed, no hotspots and wicked it up again. This time was a little better, but after a few refills it was back to its old and excessively loud PrrPrrPrr!

I finally figured it out after ripping the new build out!
The coil I received was a little loosely wrapped, which is not an issue on its own, but when I installed it with a coil rod the post screws pulled the two very outer loops tighter around the 2.5mm rod. This left the opening of the coil tighter than the inner loops, so any cotton I managed to get in, was not tight enough through the centre of the coil.

I pulled the coil out, put it over the coil rod and pulled both legs to tighten the whole coil up.
Installed it again, wicked it up and problem solved!
The coil is beautifully made, like the other BVC coils.
Minimal hotspots and fires up nice and quickly.

I'd be lying if I said I noticed a cathartic difference in flavour compared to my usual go-to (Coilology MTL Aliens) coils, but it certainly is very flavourful.
This may however just be a reflection on my own unrefined palate, or DIY liquid, rather than on the coils.

I will update soon with a new liquid, thanks again for sending me the sample to test!

*** UPDATE ON THE RDL COILS ***
While the sample A coil was very good and fit the deck perfectly, I am not sure I'm a fan of the Ether for RDL in general. the airflow gets significantly louder and the draw is just a little too tight. I will however give it another bash with the other samples soon!
@CJB85 it’s an absolute pleasure, and I really appreciate your detailed feedback!
I’m sorry you had a hassle with installation, I feel your pain, the novelty of rewicking has certainly worn off for me :confused:
Thanks again for your feedback mate, and please keep us posted!

I'd be lying if I said I noticed a cathartic difference in flavour compared to my usual go-to (Coilology MTL Aliens) coils
My go to MTL coil as well. Finding the 0.7ohm MTALIEN superior in flavour and gives a comforting fireside like crackle. Is there a shout for that sample A being a winner in something like the Dvarw? Would be interesting how it would maybe compare to @Rob Fisher Fisher Alien, not sure if @charln sent Rob a sample!

My go to MTL coil as well. Finding the 0.7ohm MTALIEN superior in flavour and gives a comforting fireside like crackle. Is there a shout for that sample A being a winner in something like the Dvarw? Would be interesting how it would maybe compare to @Rob Fisher Fisher Alien, not sure if @charln sent Rob a sample!

I got a couple of coils from The Bearded Viking but they were not 0.4Ω and I think made for MTL but still they were great!

I got a couple of coils from The Bearded Viking but they were not 0.4Ω and I think made for MTL but still they were great!
Does 0.4ohm sound about 28w in the Dvarw territory?

Last edited:
I think they will be awesome for low wattage in the Dvarw, even better if you use the MTL Dvarw wife open for RDL like @CaliGuy used to do!

Come to think of it, perfect match for the guys doing RDL in the Intake MTL as well!

I lost my whole post hitting the back button.. FML..
Anyways I stripped the Voluna today after more than a month.. I've poured about 500mls of various desert cake custardy flavours through the tank.. there was NO BURN THROUGH ON THE COTTON!!!
This is significant because on my other fancy coils I bur through in a day, sometimes three days.. depending how hard I vape it.. I absolutely wrecked these coils.
Chain vaping the sweetest most sugary flavours I could find.. coils had a small crust which burned off easily.. today i have rewicked and off I go again @charln 20210322_132647.jpg 20210322_131823.jpg

I lost my whole post hitting the back button.. FML..
Anyways I stripped the Voluna today after more than a month.. I've poured about 500mls of various desert cake custardy flavours through the tank.. there was NO BURN THROUGH ON THE COTTON!!!
This is significant because on my other fancy coils I bur through in a day, sometimes three days.. depending how hard I vape it.. I absolutely wrecked these coils.
Chain vaping the sweetest most sugary flavours I could find.. coils had a small crust which burned off easily.. today i have rewicked and off I go again @charln View attachment 225697 View attachment 225698
#42’s or Hybrids?

It would appear that you have a similar experience to me when trying new coils.

After 6+ years of trying all sorts of coils and builds I am still not able to honestly say that coil X is 10% more flavourful than coil Y. I'm likewise unable to say that coil Y is 20% more flavourful than coil Z. If you blind tested me I guarantee that I wouldn't be able to differentiate between a clapton and an alien at better than chance (assuming that I can alter the wattage to suit my preferences).

Whenever I have tried a top of the range coil/s I have always hoped that I would be super impressed by the vape experience. I have even been misled by the first few drags into believing that I have discovered vaping nirvana, only to realise a few days later that it was just that fresh coil experience coupled with optimism.

My inability to appreciate "special" coils may be a curse or a benefit.

From the experiences of many forumites, it is clear that some of you can clearly differentiate between different coils even when comparing apples to apples (aliens to aliens). I have come to terms with this disability and tend to concentrate on coil/s position and wicking which I find has a huge effect on flavour.

OK, 10 days later and @charln has very kindly sent me some coils to try out despite my issues raised above.

I have started out with a MTaLien in a Coppervape Skyline. I have only used it for a couple of hours so am not able to draw any conclusions, but so far so good. Very crisp clear flavour.

I Will update on this and other coils soonish.

Back