Calling all DIY'ers

Now when you put there 8% and 5% how do you measure the %ages.
and whats steep.. this mixology things looks interesting and would like to maybe give it a go some day..
Hi @Sk3tz0 - It really is very interesting, tons of fun and ultimately can save you a lot of money on juice.
Check out this thread: http://www.ecigssa.co.za/diy-your-first-time.t7324/ started by @Derick
and this thread: http://www.ecigssa.co.za/bombies-guide-to-diy.t17837/ started by @r0gue z0mbie

also any Hazards in mixing your own stuff other than a mouth full of a sewerage flavour ?

also any Hazards in mixing your own stuff other than a mouth full of a sewerage flavour ?
As long as you follow common sense, it's really not all that potentially hazardous. The Nic widely available for mixing locally is 36 mg / 100 ml and not 100 mg. If you get any on your skin, you should certainly wash it off immediately and if you get any on your clothes you should change (and wash before wearing again :)) that piece of clothing - all should be fine if you do that. Also (but this is common sense), make sure that your mixing equipment is clean and that you mix in a clean environment. If you spill any flavour concentrates, VG or PG you would simply create a bit of a mess.

Oh - and the sewerage flavour would be unlikely if you start off by mixing clones / recipes with high ratings on e-liquid-recipes.com, kritikalmass.net or reddit and then go from there

Hey @Sk3tz0 , just buy your DIY liquids from reputable suppliers & stay within the recommended nicotine levels & you'll be good

Do all flavors come in 0mg Nicotine ? Maybe just start with Nicotine free mixing till u get it right and then slowly add the nicotine. or omit it entirely..

Do all flavors come in 0mg Nicotine ? Maybe just start with Nicotine free mixing till u get it right and then slowly add the nicotine. or omit it entirely..
Yup - the flavour concentrates themselves don't contain any Nicotine (there are basically six (maybe seven if you add LorAnn) big reputable flavour houses that are primarily used for e-liquids. TFA / Capella / Flavour West and {to some extent} Flavour Art flavours are also used for purposes other than e-liquids, although they pay specific attention to vaping by indicating which concentrates contain Diacetyl, Diketones etc. Flavorah and Inawera are geared towards vaping). Most flavour concentrates are PG based, with a few VG options available.

Nicotine can be suspended in PG (more precise to work with IMO and PG acts as somewhat of a preservative), VG or a combination.

It's a good idea to omit the Nicotine when experimenting in any case, as it's way more expensive than plain VG / PG. If you're a 0 mg vaper, then there's obviously no need to ever add it.

Where would be the best place to buy flavour concentrates, and I'm using VG as my base mixing with with 20% of distilled water. Is that Vapable? Or would i have to also have PG?

Where would be the best place to buy flavour concentrates, and I'm using VG as my base mixing with with 20% of distilled water. Is that Vapable? Or would i have to also have PG?
Skyblue or, since you are in Cape Town, Valley Vapour (they also have by far the best selection of flavour concentrates locally): http://valleyvapour.co.za/product-category/diy_e-liquid_ingredients/concentrated-eliquid-flavour/. Vapour Mountain also stocks a wide selection of inhouse concentrates: http://www.vapourmountain.co.za/product-category/accessories/diy/flavours/. As far as I know, it is not made by any of the 'big' manufacturers but seems to be held in high regard by many in the know.

As far as the VG and distilled water goes, I've never made a pure VG liquid and perhaps one of the more experienced members could assist (but I do know that you definitely can make a liquid with just VG and distilled water as you do. PG is not necessary). I have read that 90 % VG, 10 % distilled water produces a consistency roughly equal to 70 VG / 30 PG. I would thus guess that 80 VG / 20 distilled water would be slightly more 'runny' than a 50 vg / 50 pg mix. If you prefer that consistency, it should be just fine

Skyblue or, since you are in Cape Town, Valley Vapour (they also have by far the best selection of flavour concentrates locally): http://valleyvapour.co.za/product-category/diy_e-liquid_ingredients/concentrated-eliquid-flavour/. Vapour Mountain also stocks a wide selection of inhouse concentrates: http://www.vapourmountain.co.za/product-category/accessories/diy/flavours/. As far as I know, it is not made by any of the 'big' manufacturers but seems to be held in high regard by many in the know.

As far as the VG and distilled water goes, I've never made a pure VG liquid and perhaps one of the more experienced members could assist (but I do know that you definitely can make a liquid with just VG and distilled water as you do. PG is not necessary). I have read that 90 % VG, 10 % distilled water produces a consistency roughly equal to 70 VG / 30 PG. I would thus guess that 80 VG / 20 distilled water would be slightly more 'runny' than a 50 vg / 50 pg mix. If you prefer that consistency, it should be just fine

Thank you, I will try the 90/10 VG/distilled water. If that is equivalent to a 70 Vg / 30 Pg because thats around what im looking for.

Thank you, I will try the 90/10 VG/distilled water. If that is equivalent to a 70 Vg / 30 Pg because thats around what im looking for.
If I may ask, do you flavour your liquids? (I know that some people like unflavoured liquids and Vapour Mountain sells an unflavoured liquid as well) If you do flavour it, the range of VG based flavour concentrates are very limited and if you don't use the few available (the only one available locally that I can think of off the top of my head is the TFA Organic Strawberry) you will have to factor in your flavouring percentage as PG percentage.

I would think though (and I might be very wrong on this) that even for people with a PG intolerance 5 - 15 % of PG from the flavouring should be OK.

well i havn't started mixing yet, ive just been vaping premade flavours and juice but i want to move into DIY and make my own stuff. I'd probably use TFA flavouring which I know contains PG as its base. So would i just be able to mix my VG/distilled water and then flavouring?

well i havn't started mixing yet, ive just been vaping premade flavours and juice but i want to move into DIY and make my own stuff. I'd probably use TFA flavouring which I know contains PG as its base. So would i just be able to mix my VG/distilled water and then flavouring?

I would guess that you could (assuming you want 0 mg Nic, otherwise you'll add some VG based Nic as well). However, if you want the same viscosity / consistency for every juice you make, you would have to adjust the distilled water percentage slightly to the flavour (PG) percentage of that specific juice (can vary between about 3 % and 20 %, depending on the specific flavours used {even within one brand - eg. TFA Pineapple is hellishly strong whilst the TFA Raspberry Sweet is quite 'weak'}, the combinations, your preferences etc.)

I would guess that you could (assuming you want 0 mg Nic, otherwise you'll add some VG based Nic as well). However, if you want the same viscosity / consistency for every juice you make, you would have to adjust the distilled water percentage slightly to the flavour (PG) percentage of that specific juice (can vary between about 3 % and 20 %, depending on the specific flavours used {even within one brand - eg. TFA Pineapple is hellishly strong whilst the TFA Raspberry Sweet is quite 'weak'}, the combinations, your preferences etc.)

Yeah exactly. I will be vaping Nic free as i dont "need" it but at some point once i know exactly what im doing then I might delve into making juice with Nic in it.

Is there any other place in JHB ( Here atm for Holiday) besides Skyblue that sells concentrates?

Is there any other place in JHB ( Here atm for Holiday) besides Skyblue that sells concentrates?
Atomix Vapes in Kempton Park and Vapeowave in Centurion / Boksburg (personally I would suggest sticking to the TFA and the FW concentrates rather than the inhouse brand with the latter. A number of people on the forum also seems to have had problems with online orders without a response, so buying from the physical shop(s) would perhaps be better). I have seen a few times on the forum that Vape Cartel in Jhb South also sells concentrates, but these are not advertised on the website. Perhaps contact @KieranD to find out.

Pleasure @SofaKing

The "TFA Watermelon" on Skyblue's site is actually the Watermelon Candy (that's where I got mine from when asking for Watermelon - Melinda then confirmed that they stock the candy version). According to TFA's site, the Watermelon Candy "is very much like our Watermelon Flavor, with a bit more sweetness. It is a very subtle difference, and many customers might not taste any difference at all." I do taste a slight difference and actually prefer the Watermelon, but you would use them at the same percentages. Whichever you can get, would thus be fine.

As for the Rainbow Drops, I know nothing about that concentrate - but this is the highest rated (only one five star rating, but still the highest) recipe on e-liquid-recipes containing it (and co-incidentally also has the Watermelon / Watermelon Candy in it): http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/321698/Strawberry+Skittles
@Lingogrey

Thanks again.

Interesting observation, decided to try vape on the Rainbow Drops(along with Strawberry & Cream + Peach) batch I made and coincidentally drinking Fanta grape.

Guess what, somehow the tastes compliment each other. I think I should maybe find grape concentrates and give it a go. Looks like there is hope after all

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

@Lingogrey

Thanks again.

Interesting observation, decided to try vape on the Rainbow Drops(along with Strawberry & Cream + Peach) batch I made and coincidentally drinking Fanta grape.

Guess what, somehow the tastes compliment each other. I think I should maybe find grape concentrates and give it a go. Looks like there is hope after all

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
Pleasure again :) Sounds awesome! I once tasted a DIY juice made by a well-known and excellent juice master that also had no grape or grape candy in it, but tasted like Fanta Grape. I think if you can achieve a taste without the 'obvious' ingredients it's very cool

Please note that certain posts have been deleted. This thread is part of the general forum and as such vendors may not comment or promote their products here.

Please rather use a PM or the dedicated vendor sub forum.

Thanks

Here's my latest tobacco, and I'm actually quite pleased with it:

Athena

FA Virginia 2.5% (the base)
FA Black Perique 0.35%
FA Clove 0.25%
FA Oakwood 0.25%
Acetyl Praline (or whatever its called) 0.25%
FA Storm 0.5% (provides a 'leafy' tobacco note
FLV Custard 0.3% (Any custard would do. Its to smooth it out a bit)

3 week steep. Mixed at 70vg

Its a dry, woody, mild and toasted sort of tobacco.

Last edited:
If you like Unicorn Milk, Mothers Milk, Boosted etc. try this Strawberry Cream:

CAP Sweet Strawberry 4.2%
TFA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream 5%
TFA Custard 5%
TFA Graham Cracker 2.1%
TFA Cup Cake 0.5% (or FW Yellow Cake and the same percentage)
FA Fresh Cream 0.5% (or TFA Sweet Cream 0,75%)

70VG

2 week steep, but preferbably 3. Air it out for a minute once a week.

Its a reworked Mothers Milk Clone recipe I found and have been tweaking. Its good :)

Here are some recipes I am working on, all 10ml samples unless stated on recipe

Hope this helps :)

Attachments

• Recipes.pdf
    37.4 KB · Views: 30
@rogue zombie Thanks for sharing. I'm gonna mix it this weekend.

I love melon vapes. mega melonz clone is one of my favorites. below is a recipe I have been playing with and it is quite refreshing. Let me know what you guys think.imix 65vg/35pg

TFA Papaya 3.5%
TFA Canteloupe 4.5%
TFA Litchi 5%
CAP Honeydew melon 4.5%

Leave it for 3/4 days and it's ready

I love melon vapes. mega melonz clone is one of my favorites. below is a recipe I have been playing with and it is quite refreshing. Let me know what you guys think.imix 65vg/35pg

TFA Papaya 3.5%
TFA Canteloupe 4.5%
TFA Litchi 5%
CAP Honeydew melon 4.5%

Yoh... that sounds awesome, thank you!

I was planning on picking up Litchi, so I will make this when I do. I have the rest.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

TFA Papaya 3.5%
TFA Canteloupe 4.5%
TFA Litchi 5%
CAP Honeydew melon 4.5%

Looks good @MorneW! I have to pick up some Papaya, seems great!

I've been working on a slight alternative, but found that Litchi and Melon goes together fantastically!

Dragonfruit (TPA) - 9%
Litchi (TPA) - 5.5 %
Honeydew (TPA) - 4%

VG : PG = 60:40

Mostly shake and vape, but honeydew mellows and dragonfruit and litchi strengthens over a few days. Can add some Cantaloupe as well for a more melony aftertaste, but for me that competed too much with the Litchi.

Litchi milkshake on the other hand, does not work. There is a reason Wimpy does not serve these.

Back