Carbon Monoxide in e-cigs

Hooked

Vapin' up a Storm
LV

Awards
https://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/early/2019/11/25/tobaccocontrol-2019-055078

Abstract
"The e-fluid heated in electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) is largely composed of organic compounds, specifically propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin and flavouring compounds. When heated, as it is in an e-cigarette, the chemical species in this fluid have the potential to oxidise into carbon monoxide (CO) and other species. Using diode laser spectroscopy, the concentration of CO in e-cigarette mainstream effluent as a function of e-cigarette power and flavour was measured. Carbon monoxide concentration was found to be a direct function of the power of the resistive heating. At the highest powers testable using commercial e-cigarette components, the maximum CO concentration measured was over 180 ppm. The flavouring compounds in the e-fluid also had an effect on the concentration of carbon monoxide present in the effluent."

[And here's what Farsalinos has to say]

Carbon Monoxide.JPG

It does make one realise that the recommended wattage for a coil is there for a reason, but I wonder how many vapers comply with it?

It comes down to the ohms one use. The fancy exotic coils that go down to less than 0.1 ohms can be used at higher watts. But not 200w!

Dr F is correct. Cleito coils come in 0.4 and 0.2 ohms. Most likely burnt cotton that they measured.

I guess that it is time for me to stop vaping at 200W. I really like the clouds but I go through a lot of cotton and juice.

Back