Cart Blanche on Vaping, Sunday 30 July

Looking forward to this and to check if atleast not all but most conceptions are cleared.

Oh my, they are going to ask the WHO (World Health Organisation). They are the biggest receivers of money to research tobacco. It is going to be very negative.

I imagine it will be pretty superficial. I doubt we'll hear anything we don't already know.

I doubt very much we'll hear/see anything positive about vaping on that show if the WHO is present.

Oh my, they are going to ask the WHO (World Health Organisation). They are the biggest receivers of money to research tobacco. It is going to be very negative.
Hope you're wrong Mr A, I quite like Derick and the team, don't wanno ruin our friendship over WHO B.llsh.t. Pretty sure there's going to be some kind of a voting pole going on afterwards, we should show our support.

One also has to look at the politics involved. The WHO will never support the tobacco industry and "e-cigarettes" are broadly understood (especially by bodies like the WHO) to be the domain of big tobacco. So it would be very difficult for them to agree with big tobacco on something. It sends the wrong message to the public.

This excerpt from a Guardian article highlights the dilemma:

The issue splits the public health community. Critics of e-cigarettes are concerned that they may be a “stalking horse” for Big Tobacco, which the Framework Convention has made a pariah.

Countries that have signed the treaty agree under Article 5.3 that the tobacco industry is beyond the pale and must never be allowed into negotiations. If e-cigarettes can help people stop smoking, the tobacco companies can argue for their rehabilitation and a presence at the table.

“While e-cigarettes offer a significant opportunity to public health, there are also risks. One is the way the tobacco industry uses harm reduction to secure reputational and access possibilities and to split the public health camp,” said Anna Gilmore, professor of public health at the University of Bath and the UK Centre for Tobacco Control Studies.

“The tobacco industry uses e-cigarettes to claim it is committed to harm reduction, but meanwhile it continues to engage in harm maximisation by spending millions to promote tobacco and oppose any policy that would reduce its use.”

So the WHO has decided that big tobacco is a problem. And the solution to tobacco cannot involve big tobacco. If the WHO embraces vaping, it allows big tobacco to become a negotiator and a player in tobacco control. So it is a problem of politics rather than science or health. Even if vaping was the magic bullet that cured all smoking problems, the WHO still has to oppose it because they can't be seen to be in bed with big tobacco.

Last edited:
Personally i dont care about what they say. I knew cigarette were bad and i smoked anyway. Now vaping. I love it and i feel better since i started so it will stay with me forward no matter what they say . Just my 2 cents

"Tobacco companies claim that, through their new heated tobacco products, they've removed 90% of the harmful chemicals from smoking....but is this enough?"
I don't think this will be a positive spin on vaping. Tobacco companies taking the credit for something that they did not start and has been around for over a decade...WHO getting their opinion in...
Will have to wait and see

Heated tobacco products aren't vaping, though. It's more the IQOS thing that heats a mini-cigarette. Tobacco releases a lot of research supporting vaping as harm reduction so the waters are very muddy indeed. Unfortunately, vaping (open system vaping like we do) got caught in the political crossfire between big tobacco and public health bodies.

I don't have DSTV so can't watch... Unless they stream it like they do sports (I have my folks' premium account login). So please someone tell us what they say.

Oh no....
Come Monday, every idiot at work is gonna know more about vaping than me...
Luckily, they all love me so much, they'll surely stop by office to tell me how much worse vaping is for me.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

I'm standing in the company bar, with all the ppl drinking copious amounts of alcohol, preaching to me about how bad vaping is. That there's more arsenic in vaping than in a cigarette. And, I work for a Medical company. So my response was along the lines of how bad alcohol is for your liver....yet here all of us are standing with our 5th double Bacardi and coke... can only imagine the "I told u so's" on Monday after Carte Blanche

I'm standing in the company bar, with all the ppl drinking copious amounts of alcohol, preaching to me about how bad vaping is. That there's more arsenic in vaping than in a cigarette. And, I work for a Medical company. So my response was along the lines of how bad alcohol is for your liver....yet here all of us are standing with our 5th double Bacardi and coke... can only imagine the "I told u so's" on Monday after Carte Blanche
It's even more ironic when you get the "that thing will give you cancer" comment from a smoker who's HOLDING A CIGARETTE WHILE SAYING IT.
There's just no getting through to some people :p

Reading through the comments on the Cart Blanche FB page gives us a good idea of the general public's perception of vaping . . . Its frightening! :(

At the very least, i hope CB debunks some misconceptions (eg. Popcorn lung / formaldehyde ) but even that seems optimistic

Last edited:
Well, more positive than I've expected.. embracing alternative's for stinkies atleast.
Peter Ucho, how's this ahole implying that vaping will leed to smoking cigarettes. &
Big Tobacco with their alternative, with 95% less harmful, is also a to familiar %, so much like the proven % less harmlfull with vaping...

That Indian guy(not sure his name) is very narrow minded. Saying there is not enough research. If the titanic is sinking. are you gonna not jump on the life boat because it's a new design and hasn't been tested enough. By breathing better that already should be a key it is a better alternative. Did anyone else hear them say that vaping can lead the youth into smoking cigarettes. Cause I always wanted to vape tar and Jik tasting tobacco over strawberry milkshake

Last edited:
I imagine it will be pretty superficial. I doubt we'll hear anything we don't already know.

Like I said. I don't think vaping can be tackled within the limitations of a ten-minute Carte Blanche insert. Although the programme did confirm what I posted earlier: public health bodies have shunned the tobacco industry and will no longer listen to anything they say. Vaping companies unfortunately don't have the funds to conduct extensive research studies. So we are reliant on big tobacco to do research on vaping. Finding a way to divorce the two industries is key. But I don't know how it can be achieved. The distinction between closed-system tobacco cigalikes and open-system vape gear is too nuanced for the public to grasp. It's all just "e-cigarettes" to them.

That was a really disappointing story - not even sure why they felt the need to show video footage of mods if they didn't really speak about them at all? Where's the facts about contents of juice etc. So annoying...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too little time given to a highly emotive subject. No distinction between vaping and non-combustible cigarettes, those not into vaping would not even know there was a difference

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back