Citric Acid

Thanks for the input ET but none of those are the solution.

This is literally the acid reacting with other compounds over time and irrespective of nic % it happens. I've tested from max VG to 66/34 and it happens consistently and it's got nothing to do with how I vape it. At 5W it happens, at 50W it happens. Just a side effect (sometimes good, sometimes bad) of using acids in my experience. Might also be that in this particular mix I use a good deal of it.

After using citric acid, I don't find much of a need for malic - however both impact flavours in the long run, call it steeping or what you want. I wish I were able to stop the reactions that acids cause from happening in some situations. My ADV which uses quite a bit of citric acid is great for the first 2-3 days, afterwhich is becomes increasingly smooth and rounded, which although in some situations works great, is not what I am looking for.
ok noobie question here where can i get citric acid i need to get tartness into a mix malic just not tart enough

Usually baking section, with the soda bicarb etc, in Shoprite or PnP.
If you dont find it there then chemist is your next option.

Usually baking section, with the soda bicarb etc, in Shoprite or PnP.
If you dont find it there then chemist is your next option.
would that be safe to use from the baking section ? i suppose it would be in powder form ?

Yip yip, safe and powder form.
Mix it with a dash of distilled water so that you dont get undissolved powder or granules etc.

cool will give that a bash thanks for the help
What I meant to say with my previous post was, if you mix it with distilled water until the solution is super saturated, ie some undissolved solids sinking to the bottom, then you can let it settle and take the top clear layer to dissolve into some pg.(pg just loves water but not powder so much)

IMO if you dump citric powder into your juice it could act like a buffer with draw out reactions over a period of time, vs a predissolved citric acid which should have a more immediate reaction with less after effects. You can also more accurately gauge doasage strength using drops of pg citric vs 1/4 teaspoon of powder etc.

What I meant to say with my previous post was, if you mix it with distilled water until the solution is super saturated, ie some undissolved solids sinking to the bottom, then you can let it settle and take the top clear layer to dissolve into some pg.(pg just loves water but not powder so much)

IMO if you dump citric powder into your juice it could act like a buffer with draw out reactions over a period of time, vs a predissolved citric acid which should have a more immediate reaction with less after effects. You can also more accurately gauge doasage strength using drops of pg citric vs 1/4 teaspoon of powder etc.
thanks i was going to dissolve 1/4 teaspoon in pg like EM and that tip makes way more sense

thanks i was going to dissolve 1/4 teaspoon in pg like EM and that tip makes way more sense
Yes, dissolve it in PG, works great at around 10% If you battle to get all the granules to dissolve then just heat it slightly, a warm water bath works well.

Yes, dissolve it in PG, works great at around 10% If you battle to get all the granules to dissolve then just heat it slightly, a warm water bath works well.
million dollar question where on earth can i get citric acid been to 2x spars woolworths clicks and dis chem and they don't stock it anyone know where in midrand or fourways area where i can get some

million dollar question where on earth can i get citric acid been to 2x spars woolworths clicks and dis chem and they don't stock it anyone know where in midrand or fourways area where i can get some
Look for the jar that @Viper_SA started this thread with, it's also sometimes available in small paper sachets in the baking section. Most grocery stores should stock it in some form or another.

Look for the jar that @Viper_SA started this thread with, it's also sometimes available in small paper sachets in the baking section. Most grocery stores should stock it in some form or another.
i wish lol found tartaric acid and all sorts just not citric

If these are used in off the shelf joose , don't tell me .... but I think you are all crazy :)

I stopped using any additives except menthol because making 100ml batches and steeping for prolonged periods just started tasting flat-lined and even sometimes very chemical.

I stopped using any additives except menthol because making 100ml batches and steeping for prolonged periods just started tasting flat-lined and even sometimes very chemical.
i only do 30ml mixes at a time so i use them before they get to that stage

@drew, how would you describe the difference between tart and sour?
I often see those words being used in juice descriptions but I dont know the difference
Can you perhaps help?
I also want to make sure I understand it properly for review purposes
Taste (sense): Is there a technical difference between tart and sour? If so, what is it?
2 ANSWERS
Lee Ballentine, Poet, engineer, four time Top Writer on Quora.
7.2k Views
"Sour" is a broad term that includes a range of tastes. For instance, we describe the unpleasant taste of spoiled milk as sour, as well as the sharp acidic taste of vinegars, and other tastes too. "Tart" is a subset of "sour" and is a narrower term which suggests acidic fruitiness. Compare "piquant

Taste (sense): Is there a technical difference between tart and sour? If so, what is it?
2 ANSWERS
Lee Ballentine, Poet, engineer, four time Top Writer on Quora.
7.2k Views
"Sour" is a broad term that includes a range of tastes. For instance, we describe the unpleasant taste of spoiled milk as sour, as well as the sharp acidic taste of vinegars, and other tastes too. "Tart" is a subset of "sour" and is a narrower term which suggests acidic fruitiness. Compare "piquant

Thanks for that @Lord Vetinari
Much appreciated

Back