Classifieds rules

Baker

Flavor chaser
LV

Awards
What are the rules regarding commenting on price in the Classifieds? I've seen it mentioned that comments on price are not welcomed, but are there any exceptions?

What if you see an item being advertised for more than what it costs brand new? I'm not referring to limited edition/collector's/rare items, I'm referring to just the normal stuff, and I'm not talking about sale prices either.

I get that people have a choice whether to pay or not, but I'm asking because I wonder about newbies checking out the Classifieds and thinking they might be getting a bargain when in fact they'd be way overspending. That could be quite a put off when we're talking about their hard-earned money. Should we not be helping to prevent this?

For example if you saw a Pico kit being advertised for R800 but you know it's easily available brand new for R750, should we just sit back and allow someone to potentially waste money, and on top of that not have any recourse should the item be faulty or fail soon after?

What are the rules regarding commenting on price in the Classifieds? I've seen it mentioned that comments on price are not welcomed, but are there any exceptions?

What if you see an item being advertised for more than what it costs brand new? I'm not referring to limited edition/collector's/rare items, I'm referring to just the normal stuff, and I'm not talking about sale prices either.

I get that people have a choice whether to pay or not, but I'm asking because I wonder about newbies checking out the Classifieds and thinking they might be getting a bargain when in fact they'd be way overspending. That could be quite a put off when we're talking about their hard-earned money. Should we not be helping to prevent this?

For example if you saw a Pico kit being advertised for R800 but you know it's easily available brand new for R750, should we just sit back and allow someone to potentially waste money, and on top of that not have any recourse should the item be faulty or fail soon after?
Hi @Baker. This is an ongoing discussion on the forum. Read up https://www.ecigssa.co.za/distinguishing-a-seller-vs-a-flipper.t43764/#post-600085 so long.

Regards

I would apply the same rules as I do to ordinary consumer items. If a farmer's fruit and veg shop in my area is selling avocados at 3 for R20, but the supermarket is selling avocados for R16 each, am I going to stand outside the supermarket with a placard, ringing a bell and warning consumers not to buy the avos? It's a free market, it is incumbent upon consumers to do their research on prices. The whole point of the free market is that if you charge too much, people buy elsewhere. It is a price control mechanism that doesn't need official intervention.

I would apply the same rules as I do to ordinary consumer items. If a farmer's fruit and veg shop in my area is selling avocados at 3 for R20, but the supermarket is selling avocados for R16 each, am I going to stand outside the supermarket with a placard, ringing a bell and warning consumers not to buy the avos? It's a free market, it is incumbent upon consumers to do their research on prices. The whole point of the free market is that if you charge too much, people buy elsewhere. It is a price control mechanism that doesn't need official intervention.

I get that, but I wouldn't equate a quick, two second, "it costs xxx brand new" to a full on protest.

Also, I'm asking about potentially helping newbies on their path to quitting stinkies and better health. Most people don't know about even a quarter of the online stores out there, and if they are ready to make the change to vaping I wouldn't expect them to first spend a few days doing research. And if they see better prices they wouldn't even know when to stop searching.

I just feel it's wrong to consciuosly choose not to help someone when it's so easy to. If you see someone trying to harm an innocent person do you not try to help just because it's a free world and you can't help all the innocent people in the world?

Hi @Baker. This is an ongoing discussion on the forum. Read up https://www.ecigssa.co.za/distinguishing-a-seller-vs-a-flipper.t43764/#post-600085 so long.

Regards

Thanks @Raindance, I just read the OP but that's not the same as what I'm referring to. I'm not referring to flipping.

In this case I'm referring to just normal items, and also, cases where the seller may or may not be aware that the item is available brand new for less.

I'm not concerned about the seller in this case, just purely looking to help people by preventing them from being ripped off (whether intentionally or unintentionally).

I will help someone if they are being mugged, if they are being sexually harassed by a colleague or whatever. I'm not sure that guiding consumers on pricing issues is within the same ambit.

For that matter, it doesn't apply only to used gear in the Classifieds but to new gear too. Look at the hardware, juice, DIY supplies, accessories etc on offer, it's not all at the same price. If a vendor announces some new arrivals in their store, should I go into the thread with "Chips okes, you can buy this a lot cheaper from Frikkie"? My sense is that it's the seller's job to name their price, my job to decide whether I'll buy from them or from someone else.

I will help someone if they are being mugged, if they are being sexually harassed by a colleague or whatever. I'm not sure that guiding consumers on pricing issues is within the same ambit.

For that matter, it doesn't apply only to used gear in the Classifieds but to new gear too. Look at the hardware, juice, DIY supplies, accessories etc on offer, it's not all at the same price. If a vendor announces some new arrivals in their store, should I go into the thread with "Chips okes, you can buy this a lot cheaper from Frikkie"? My sense is that it's the seller's job to name their price, my job to decide whether I'll buy from them or from someone else.

That's perfectly cool, but then if someone feels they'd like to help a little more, should it really be discouraged or frowned upon?

I'm just not getting the the whole consciously choosing not to help when it's so easy. I get that there are limits to everything in life, and I'm not saying we should be askin people to look out and help more, but for those who wish to, I don't understand how that can be a bad thing.

As mentioned above, with any exchange, its the consumer's responsibility to research the product/market before making a purchase

With that said, "flipping" is frowned upon amongst the Ecigssa community

The "optimistic" rating is a good indicator if something is posted above its perceived value

As mentioned above, with any exchange, its the consumer's responsibility to research the product/market before making a purchase

With that said, "flipping" is frowned upon amongst the Ecigssa community

The "optimistic" rating is a good indicator if something is posted above its perceived value

Once again, I get that it's their responsibility, but I don't see why that means people should be prevented from helping if they want to. Seems pretty sad if people are prevented from helping others where they can and are easily able to, just because it's their responsibility to help themselves.

It feels like a moral duty to me to help.

Anyway I wasn't wanting to debate the merits of helping or not, I'm mainly looking for clarity on the rules. Are we forbidden from helping, is it totally against the rules, or just not encouraged to?

Once again, I get that it's their responsibility, but I don't see why that means people should be prevented from helping if they want to. Seems pretty sad if people are prevented from helping others where they can and are easily able to, just because it's their responsibility to help themselves.

Anyway I wasn't wanting to debate the merits of helping or not, I'm mainly looking for clarity on the rules. Are we forbidden from helping, is it totally against the rules, or just not encouraged to?

I think @Scissorhands suggestion is the most diplomatic and non confrontational approach to the question at hand. A seller may in fact not be aware of his optimistic pricing, possibly having paid "too much" for the item himself.

As for the desire to help, I think we all share that desire, but heck, if a person does not want to do his own homework, paying too much and finding the error of his ways may just be a lesson that needs to be learned.

As @RichJB states, where would we draw the line. I have bought mods for under one grand from one vendor which another was selling for over two grand. Vendor "A" is sold out and I see vendor "B" still has stock. That's just how freedom of choice works. Applies to classifieds as much as it does to formal retail.

Sounds harsh maybe, but doing ones homework is each individuals responsibility, asking price is each sellers prerogative and deciding to purchase is an act of freedom of choice.

And that is my view on the topic, welcome to disagree.

Regards

Your intentions are good . . . Im not looking for a debate either, ecigssa is not the wild west like Facebook, for the most part the community here has mutual respect towards one another, classified posts need to be kept uncluttered for both the seller and potential buyers

There are no classified police but dedicated classified surfers usually alert the higher powers if something smells fishy

I get all of that too, and I'm in no way takin offence to any of the comments.

I'm genuinely wondering if there's a reason out there that would make me feel like it's justified for me to turn a blind eye. And that's just for me.

The clutter i also get, I just feel that a simple one liner to say it's available cheaper brand new wouldn't be clutter. Perhaps there could even be a standard response to convey that message.

I know there's the optimistic button but I don't see that as a good enough option, especially since I've seen some threads in the past on this forum where "disagrees" were being thrown about out of spite.

Hopefully one of the mods can comment and say outright whether it's allowed or not.

Hi @Baker

Thanks for the question

Please read the Classifieds Rules here:
https://www.ecigssa.co.za/rules-for-using-the-classifieds-please-read-and-follow.t5889/

We do not allow commenting on price unless you are trying to negotiate with the seller.

The reason for this is that it's the seller's thread and it would open itself up to abuse if everyone commented on price with their own opinions.

This issue has come up several times before and if you feel inclined to alert potential buyers that the price is too high, we encourage you rather to just rate the seller's advert as optimistic.

You could also PM the seller and let them know that the price looks too high if you felt like helping the seller in that way.

IMO both seller and buyer should do research into the current price of the item from retailers, just as one would when selling or buying anything else that is 2nd hand. Someone who is new to vaping has clearly done some research / asked advice regarding an appropriate device for a newbie. If they could do that, then they could also research the price. If they're too lazy to do that and end up paying more than the current market price, that is their problem.

Honestly if a buyer ends up paying more for a second hand item then for the same item brand new in the internet age, they deserve to get ripped off.

Last edited:
Back