Cleaning RDA coils

Looks fab @Christos

But isn't there a risk that the ultrasonic fries or damages some of the rubber insulation material?

I recall someone mentioning something to that effect about putting the Reos into the ultrasonic for cleaning.

Looks fab @Christos

But isn't there a risk that the ultrasonic fries or damages some of the rubber insulation material?

I recall someone mentioning something to that effect about putting the Reos into the ultrasonic for cleaning.
I actually don't know.
I've never put a reo in the ultrasonic. Not yet anyways.
All the atties I put in seem to be 100%.

I havent had issues yet but I do have spare orings for most atties except insulating material...

I actually don't know.
I've never put a reo in the ultrasonic. Not yet anyways.
All the atties I put in seem to be 100%.

I havent had issues yet but I do have spare orings for most atties except insulating material...

I think it was @Rob Fisher that had an issue with putting his Reos into the ultrasonic
Rob, what was the problem there?

Am just wondering @Christos - maybe the insulators will get damaged. Might not be a problem at all - just checking to see in case. I have also thought of getting an ultrasonic to clean various things -

I think it was @Rob Fisher that had an issue with putting his Reos into the ultrasonic

Am just wondering @Christos - maybe the insulators will get damaged. Might not be a problem at all - just checking to see in case. I have also thought of getting an ultrasonic to clean various things -

The issue was the aluminium body getting funny marks on it... same problem with the Custom Classic Mod....

The coilmaster ultrasonic is
1. Very small
2. Not the most powerful

I can imagine a industrial ultrasonic doing damage to soft parts and losening things that should be fastened etc.

The coilmaster one also has a limit of 3 minutes run time but I run it 5 times in a row.

Does the job, perhaps not af effective or efficient as an industrial one but it seems to work for atties.

My Reo (April 2014 model) gets an ultrasonic treatment at least once a month in an industrial 280W ultrasonic cleaner (10 minutes @ +/- 60C). To date, zero damage to the anodized body, silicone feed tube and/or any other parts.

Thanks @Rob Fisher and @johan

I seem to recall though someone mentioning the USonic did some damage to a plastic part or something like that.

Ah well, I suppose that was an isolated incident.

I just wash mine in warm water with a touch of soap. Nothing hectic.

Thanks @Rob Fisher and @johan

I seem to recall though someone mentioning the USonic did some damage to a plastic part or something like that.

Ah well, I suppose that was an isolated incident.

I just wash mine in warm water with a touch of soap. Nothing hectic.

The only reasons to damaged plastic parts I can think of at the minute, are too high water temperature and/or "funny" chemicals in the water.

The only reasons to damaged plastic parts I can think of at the minute, are too high water temperature and/or "funny" chemicals in the water.

Yip was using "special chemicals" at the time and it made white marks on the aluminium... will see if I can find a pic... nope no pics found.

Just checked. Only have the wheel brushes in my Dremel kit left. Not the cup brushes.

Dry burned and just a quick rub on top and sides, with SS brush, got the coils to a brand new state.

How many times can you clean an RDA Coil before you actually need to replace the coil?

How many times can you clean an RDA Coil before you actually need to replace the coil?
There is many factors that play a role in this question.
  • The material of the coil - SS seems to last longer than nichrome for me for instance
  • The temp at which you vape - higher temps could mean replacing coil sooner due to heat fatigue. Dry burns could also lead to quicker degradation.
  • The juice you vape - dessert, sweet type liquids clog coils quicker which means more cleaning which leads to more oxidation which leads to rougher coil surface which leads to quicker clogging etc etc
  • The ratio of your juice - more VG more clogging and same as above.
  • The quality of the coil material - even though it says SS316L for instance and should be SS316L the wires are not all the same. Impurities could cause quicker degradation.
  • Some people are more sensitive to flavour changes and could pick up the effects of a degraded coil sooner than others. They would probably change coils more regularly than others.
If you start to notice a change in flavour even after wicking and find yourself wicking more often than with a new coil, it's time to change the coil.

Back