Cleaning

Agreed, I only dry burn my own built coils. I keep the coil red hot by pressing and releasing power for 30 sek. But it doesn't seem like all of the gunk is gone? I then usually wipe the top (only visible part), which leaves it nice and shiny clean. But the bottom remains dirty? Short of removing the coil and cleaning, is there another way? Rinsing the coil a second (third) time seems like wasted effort?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
What I mean is I don't re use the coil. I just make another one.
Using a coil again and again doesn't do it for me.

It costs R100 for 10m of wire so I'm not worried there.

I have one of those green Genesis penguin steamers from back in the day, it wasnt so great at cleaning the tile grouting in the shower, but it will be my goto device when my Kayfun needs cleaning.
It will mess up/ warp acrylic so only use it on steel parts, should be perfect for the coil/deck assembly.
Id be a bit nervous of using it on pyrex in case of cracking because the steam could cause concentrated hot spots.

IMG_2763.JPG

I soldered up a mcgyver turbo focus nozzle, but it was rather mickey mouse on the tile grout, probably awesome for coils.

IMG_2764.JPG

Agreed, I only dry burn my own built coils. I keep the coil red hot by pressing and releasing power for 30 sek. But it doesn't seem like all of the gunk is gone? I then usually wipe the top (only visible part), which leaves it nice and shiny clean. But the bottom remains dirty? Short of removing the coil and cleaning, is there another way? Rinsing the coil a second (third) time seems like wasted effort?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Get the coil hot by pulsing it until it becomes red, it shouldn't get white hot. Then just blow the gunk off, repeat the process a few times for stubborn build up.

What do I use to polish brass that will be safe enough to use on a atty? At the moment I'm using lemon juice to clean.

Thanks @Rob Fisher, nice to know that I've at least been cleaning my tank in an acceptable manner :) One thing I've wondered though, in terms of the commercial coils, would it be ok to store them along with the tank or is it best to toss them and buy new ones later when you decide to use the tank again? Also assuming rinsing the coil isn't exactly the best idea

What do I use to polish brass that will be safe enough to use on a atty? At the moment I'm using lemon juice to clean.
Brasso ? I would think any metal polisher which is not too abrasive will be fine provided you clean the atty up afterwards & get rid of any residue.

My go-to metal polisher is Autosol. Works like a bomb on brass also

I made the mistake of eating off a varkpan that had been brasso'd for inspection and I forgot to wash the brasso off.
The resulting 2 day diarrhea taught me a lesson I shall never forget.

I use Silvo or Brasso and just clean with sunlight dishwashing liquid and then rinse with water thoroughly afterwards!

Thanks @Rob Fisher, nice to know that I've at least been cleaning my tank in an acceptable manner :) One thing I've wondered though, in terms of the commercial coils, would it be ok to store them along with the tank or is it best to toss them and buy new ones later when you decide to use the tank again? Also assuming rinsing the coil isn't exactly the best idea

I used to soak coils in vodka and then rinse afterwards and leave them to dry and then reuse them... but to be frank it doesn't really work that well and there is nothing better than a fresh coil or fresh wick and now I just throw the old coils away!

Thanks @Khan83 @BumbleBee
so I just give it a good wash after polishing and I'm good to vape?
Yup . But the Autosol or any other polishes for that matter do leave a slight residue so I'd attack the atty with some sunlight liquid & a toothbrush afterwards. Give it a good rinse in HOT water afterwards & wipe off

I just wash with sunlight liquid in warm water, let it sit in the warm water for 10 minutes, rinse everything with clean cold water (THOUROUGHLY) and dry with a tissue. Recoil, rewick and Rob's your uncle! LOL

@Rob Fisher

I find if I haven't vaped on a tank for a day or so the taste isn't 100% and I think it;'s the kanthal rusting a little! So it's time to Pit Stop some of the tanks!
TankPitStop 001.JPG

Definitely cleaning and rewicking time for me at lunchtime today, for the time being I'm going to have to deal with some spitting hot juice in my mouth, since my subtank decided this morning on my way to work that it's not happy with my today hahaha :hit:

Definitely cleaning and rewicking time for me at lunchtime today, for the time being I'm going to have to deal with some spitting hot juice in my mouth, since my subtank decided this morning on my way to work that it's not happy with my today hahaha :hit:
Fortunately the Subtank is a breeze to rewick, shouldn't take more than about 5 minutes :)

I like to pack an extra atty in my man bag. Specifically for times like that.
My opinion is to keep a spare as a spare and not get lazy and use it all willy nilly.

at the moment I don't have any spare of anything. I have my mod and that's it haha. I know it's asking for trouble, I will look into it after getting over the Christmas money slump :rofl:

at the moment I don't have any spare of anything. I have my mod and that's it haha. I know it's asking for trouble, I will look into it after getting over the Christmas money slump :rofl:
I don't seem to suffer this problem so much. I was a contractor so from November until Feb there was hardly any work so you had to pad through the year for those 4 months.
Also January is the best time to go shopping as there are specials everywhere!

what did I just say about not having any spare of anything? Just received what I thought was a couple of driptips from Oom Rob and in the package is a Triton 2 with spare coils and some extra driptips! Watched a quick tutorial on Youtube on how to fill etc and I have no more spitting! wow I feel so blessed!!!

Back