Coil wrapping question

veecee

Dedicated Vaper
LV

Awards
So I got myself some geekvape nichrome n80 fused clapton wire (26ga*3 + 36ga) today to try wrap my own coils.

I did a 2.5mm id 6 wrap dual coil build on a wotofo sapor rta I also got today.

Put it on my vaporesso revenger mod to check the resistance, and it registers at 0.09 ohms.

That seems too low. Or is it correct?

I got them glowing nice an evenly, but the mod is getting quite hot.

Am I doing something wrong?

I dont feel like having the thing explode in my hand!

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi @veecee

I have noticed with the Vandyvape NI80 fused Clapton wire it's initially a low resistance then after pulsing wicking and lubing the resistance goes up and settles at a higher value then stays there.

Like from 0.4 to about 0.7 on a single coil. Not sure if yours has settled or when you checked the resistance.

Hi @veecee

I have noticed with the Vandyvape NI80 fused Clapton wire it's initially a low resistance then after pulsing wicking and lubing the resistance goes up and settles at a higher value then stays there.

Like from 0.4 to about 0.7 on a single coil. Not sure if yours has settled or when you checked the resistance.

mine started at 0.08 and went up to 0.10 when wet and chain vaping
if there is space in your attie try a 3mm inner wrap make sure there is space should go up to 0.13

Thx guys! After setting it up, wicking, etc it settled on 0.11!

Learnt a valuable lesson about wicking though, mine was obviously too little wick, and I ended drinking about 3ml of juice before I gave up!!! Lol

I'll rework it tomorrow night!

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70L using Tapatalk

@veecee , I don't think you are doing anything wrong. May just be that you are trying to build too low for the mod to handle. A single coil like that will come out at about .21 on average based on tightness and leg length, so doubling up on it with a dual coil setup will halve that. Based on this the reading is in the ballpark, an coilmaster may give you a more accurate reading. 7 wraps will take you to about .25, dual will drop it to about .12, but that is a massive coil. A 6 wrap 3mm I'd will take it to about .24 single or about .12 dual,

As for the mod heating up that doesn't sound too good, maybe the build is too low for it. What batteries are you using in there, are they getting hot or is it just the mod. If possible try it on another mod to see if it does the same. Alternatively try some thinner fused Clapton for a higher resistance.

IMG_0102.JPG

Another option is this one, single with 2.5 Id 6 wraps will give you about .49, dual about .24 which the mod may like better.

A build that low will also have a great impact on your battery life, as it is going to drain it quite fast. Maybe some other coil gurus can assist with a better build that may be better suited. Good luck, hope you come right with this.

Thx guys! After setting it up, wicking, etc it settled on 0.11!

Learnt a valuable lesson about wicking though, mine was obviously too little wick, and I ended drinking about 3ml of juice before I gave up!!! Lol

I'll rework it tomorrow night!

Then ignore my ranting below, good for you. The resistance does go up a bit once it is burned in. Is the mod still getting hot?

Thx guys. I have 2x Samsung 2500 in the mod. The batteries were still fairly cool. Well cooler than the top of the mod, so it could have just been heat transfer from all the pulsing and dry burning.

It's my first coil wrap and RTA build, so I just wanted to make sure that I was being safe.

The wotofo Sapor 25mm rta can't really take bigger coils, but I will try out a 3mm or maybe a 7 wrap and see.

I was quite chuffed that I managed to make decent looking coils, and build them fairly well too, not a bad first attempt! Just my wicking was horrendous. When I opened the juice flow ports, the juice basically emptied itself into the middle of the RTA, so I'm very lucky I chose the top airflow RTA for my first attempt. No leaking out, but the mouthfuls of liquid wasn't too pleasant! Lol

i don't use a mod to pulls
if you can get a coil reader. to build on and pulls get one in a kit or alone. i have a coil master v2 kit

Thx guys. I have 2x Samsung 2500 in the mod. The batteries were still fairly cool. Well cooler than the top of the mod, so it could have just been heat transfer from all the pulsing and dry burning.

It's my first coil wrap and RTA build, so I just wanted to make sure that I was being safe.

The wotofo Sapor 25mm rta can't really take bigger coils, but I will try out a 3mm or maybe a 7 wrap and see.

I was quite chuffed that I managed to make decent looking coils, and build them fairly well too, not a bad first attempt! Just my wicking was horrendous. When I opened the juice flow ports, the juice basically emptied itself into the middle of the RTA, so I'm very lucky I chose the top airflow RTA for my first attempt. No leaking out, but the mouthfuls of liquid wasn't too pleasant! Lol

I've noticed if I set my coils a little too high, then I get spit back. Once I go in and gently push down on the coil(s) then take another puff, all is good. :)

Lol, this wasnt your normal spitback, it was a literally drinking juice. Like mouthfuls. Surprised I didnt feel sick from the levels of nic I must've ingested. Lol

if you space your coils the resistance will increase... what i have noticed . i can have a compressed coil at 0.22. when i space it it becomes 0.36

Last edited:
Nice, I can definitely try that out

Back