Desire Squonky Subohm Tank

Timwis

Vaping Royalty
LV

Awards
Hi Ecigssa members, In this review i take a look at the Squonky Subohm Tank from Desire Design. The Squonky Subohm Tank was supplied for the purpose of this review by Kristina from Desire Design.

http://www.desiredesign.com/index.php/pr...id/63.html

Introduction

Desire Design are getting a reputation for bringing us some excellent products, it's not that long ago they simultaneously released single battery and dual batteries squonk devices that were very positively received. With BF pins now getting installed in RDTA's making the squonk bottle an extension of the tanks capacity everyone knew the next move would be just a standard stock coil tank taking this route it was just a matter of who would be the first manufacturer to release one and unless i've missed it (which is actually possible) it's Desire Design with the Squonky Subohm tank. The obvious way to do it would be with top airflow to avoid leak city but Desire have thrown a curve ball and delivered a standard bottom airflow tank with BF pin using an innovative way of the liquid entering the tank. So let's find out more about it and more importantly how they have been able to use the standard bottom airflow method while using a BF pin without it being a messy affair!

In the Box

Contents:

1 x Squonky Tank (0.4ohm Mesh Coil, 2ml)
1 x 0.8ohm Ceramic Coil
1 x Small Bag Accessories
1 x Instruction Manual
1 x Warranty Card

Aesthetics

The Squonky comes in typical Desire Design minimalist yet classy cardboard packaging, and once opened i was met by an aesthetically different looking tank than i have come across before. I received the Stainless Steel version which comes with a translucent Resin cobra style 510 drip tip which is listed as being black but when the light catches it has a Slate Blue appearance. The Squonky is also available in Black which comes with a colourful translucent cobra style 510 resin drip tip. The tank is in two sections, the large base section has dual cyclops with stopper at the bottom and the large size of this section is to accommodate the way the BF feed works while having traditional subohm tank bottom airflow. The top section is the isolated tank where your coil gets pressed fitted into the air pipe and your 2ml of liquid sits. This section has a Stainless Steel outer casing with glass inner lining, there is a rectangle shape cut out the Stainless Steel either side revealing the glass and giving you good sized viewing windows to see the level of your juice. On one side of the tank between the viewing windows we have the Desire Design logo Laser etched into the Stainless Steel which is quite understated and classy looking, on the other side "DESIRE" is also laser etched, the seam between the two sections of the tank is clearly visible. The airflow control ring has slight texturing, moving to the top of the tank and this has heavy texturing which helps with grip. When using the Squonky if your squonk bottle is running low you can add liquid via the top-fill system which has been seen before the Innokin Zenith springs to mind. There is a juice port on top of the tank with ceramic underneath keeping the tank sealed when you turn the top cap the juice port moves past the ceramic seal so you can now put your nozzle through and fill the tank (which way you need to turn the top-cap to open and shut the juice port is clearly marked). The base of the tank has safety stamps and branding printed in Black, the Squonky is installed with a protruding BF 510 pin. The Squonky is quite a tall tank and with the outer Stainless Steel casing is possibly the heaviest tank i have used, the build quality is very good with all threading and tolerances being spot-on they really have done a good job.

Squonky Subohm Tank Specs and Features:

Size: 24.5mm x 52mm (excluding 510 thread)
Material: Stainless Steel
Drip Tip: Resin
Capacity: 2ml
Coil: 0.4ohm Mesh Coil, 0.8ohm Ceramic Coil
Innovative bottom refill design in subohm tank
Two-stage structure with independent E-juice tank for easy coil replacement
Extremely simple structure for easy operation
Squonk or easy top-fill
Thread: 510
Colours: Black with Colourful Resin drip tip, Stainless Steel with Black Resin drip tip

The Tank section

The tank section (the top section) is where the 2ml capacity of liquid is stored for wicking your coil. When the top section is separated from the bottom section and you look inside you will see it has a Stainless Steal bottom with a central hole for the coil to get placed which gets pressed fitted into the air pipe. Once your coil is fitted it essentially seals the bottom of the top section so your liquid is isolated from the bottom section apart from a tiny hole towards the edge (this is where the juice enters the tank when squonking).

The Bottom Section

The bottom section of the tank is where we find the airflow control ring which is standard cyclops, of course with subohm tanks the amount of air allowed into the base section to get access to the coil is only a part of what controls the air as a lot depends on the size of the bore in the centre of the coil head itself. When you look inside the bottom section you can see the normal connection plate that the bottom of the coil which protrudes out of the top section will make contact with. On closer inspection you will see metal sections (one either side of the plate) which travel to the outer wall and then go up the wall, you will also notice the top section of the wall where these two sections stop is stepped out and much thicker than the rest of the bottom section wall. On the top of the wall which will seal tight against the metal bottom of the upper section of the tank we have a sealing rubber grommet with raised edges and a central track, in this track is a small hole that matches the hole on the bottom of the top section.

How It Works

When you press your squonk bottle the juice goes up the BF pin then through the cavities in the already mentioned metal sections either side of the 510 connection plate, the liquid travels along and then up these sections into the cavity in the top section of the wall. The liquid then comes out the hole in the track of the rubber grommet where it is free to travel along the cavity of the track and up through the hole in the bottom of the top section entering the tank. The system is completely sealed so no mess, no leaking and completely isolated from the airflow. It wasn't all plain sailing to start with nothing was happening when i pressed the bottle until i opened the top-fill port then the tank filled up nice and quickly from a few presses of the bottle. So you need to turn the top-cap to open the juice port then press your bottle to fill via the BF pin once you have the level of juice you want turn the top-cap to close, it's very quick.
Of course if you run out of juice in your bottle and it's not convenient to fill it you can simply turn the top-cap and fill the tank directly through the juice port.

The Coils And My Experience

You get two different coils, pre-installed is a mesh coil which is more of a net style to keep the resistance higher so you don't need to vape at high wattage, it's 0.4ohm and rated between 30w to 35w. The second coil you get is a MTL coil which has a very tight bore through the centre, it's a ceramic coil which is 0.8ohm and rated between 10w to 16w with a best between 12w to 14w. I used the mesh (net) coil which i found best at 35w with the airflow fully open as the Squonky doesn't boast masses of air, this gave me a restricted lung hit which was very smooth. I expected very good flavour with it being a mesh coil and it delivered with the flavour also being helped with the restricted nature of the airflow. Although i didn't try the ceramic coil i feel Desire have got it right with thier choice of coils including a DL and MTL option and keeping the resistance of the mesh coil up so no need to throw high wattage at it.

What Is The Point And Who Is It For

In some way Desire have made the Squonky too convenient as the top-fill method is so quick and easy many will say it takes away the argument for needing the squonk bottle as an extension of the tank. When you add to this you need to open the top port to allow the tank to fill (no idea why this is the case but someone who knows their physics i'm sure will be able to shed light) again the argument could be you might as well just fill via the juice port while it's open and they have a fair point.
What we need to remember there are millions of vapers worldwide and what might be pointless to some could be just what others have been waiting for. Out of those millions of vapers their will be many thousands that both for whatever reason are not interested into going down the route of rebuildables yet look at squonking devices wishing they could use one, well now they can because we have the Squonky!

Very good build quality
Aesthetically different
Liquid isolated
Fill via squonk bottle
Fill via quick top-fill
Innovative
No leaking
Allows vapers who don't build to use squonk devices
Mesh (net) coil very good flavour and decent cloud
MTL ceramic coil included
Glass protected by Stainless Steel casing
liquid viewing windows

Cons

Need to open top juice port to fill tank via squonk bottle
Will not be the easiest tank to clean
Can't use on regular device

I would once again like to thank Kristina from Desire Design for supplying the Squonky Subohm Tank for the purpose of this review.

http://www.desiredesign.com/index.php/pr...id/63.html

Awesome review.
I missed this one but I'm glad you linked it. This would be awesome especially when, like me your pockets are always filled with tools of some sort or ontop of a roof.
Thanks

Back